Jim Gannon - ten years on

Blakey

10 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

A clueless fud who managed to put out a team of young boys that ripped Steaua Bucharest apart.......

It was 6-1 we were beaten in case you forgot, and the 1-0 defeat by Llanelli as well, as I said he was a clueless fud

The first half of the home Steaua game we did play some decent football and also in the 0-0 game against 'Them' at Fir Park we looked like a good side but apart from that we were awful to watch and it got worse towards the end of his tenure when he had basically chucked it and was working his ticket out the club. Gannon's use of substitutes was crazy and contributed hugely to us dropping so many points from winning positions.

There was a game against Celtic at home where he dropped Sutton and Lasley and played Bob McHugh and Steven Meechan. Before the game he was on the radio saying he wasn't bothered about the result.

Trying to turn Mark Reynolds into a centre midfielder was another good one.

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

It was 6-1 we were beaten in case you forgot, and the 1-0 defeat by Llanelli as well, as I said he was a clueless fud

Not every scoreline tells the full story.

The Lanelli game was our first game back after pre-season and Gannon had only been in the door 2 minutes. That was rectified in the away leg. 

The games agsinst Flamarturi and Steaua at Airdrie were very exciting to watch and Gannons stats over the first 1/4 of the season were impressive.

You cant be a useless fud and manage that.

Character flaws, yes, great manager, no, but to suggest he had no managerial ability whatsoever clearly isnt right.

• Like 1

He was interviewed for the Hibs job shortly before Motherwell and the story of both interviews was much the same.

He had a depth of knowledge on every player at the clubs which was incredible, right down to the youths. He also had a file of transfer targets for every position which was also incredibly detailed, with several targets and how their qualities would complement other targets.

It's fair to say the board weren't unhappy to see him go, but they were certainly extremely impressed at the outset.

Some obvious issues with man management, but I remember at Craigan's testimonial race night all of the younger players were on soft drinks as he had asked all of the players to be - the senior pros were all defiantly on the beer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScottW1886 said:

........ Some obvious issues with man management, but I remember at Craigan's testimonial race night all of the younger players were on soft drinks as he had asked all of the players to be - the senior pros were all defiantly on the beer. 

That looks bad on the senior pro's but the context of that event needs to be taken into account ie

Did we have a game the next day or two?

Had we just have a game and what was the score?

Was he punishing the players for a bad result, preparing them for a game or just being a b****** because he could?

That looks bad on the senior pro's but the context of that event needs to be taken into account ie
Did we have a game the next day or two?
Had we just have a game and what was the score?
Was he punishing the players for a bad result, preparing them for a game or just being a b****** because he could?

He wanted the players to avoid alcohol completely during the season.

You can argue the merits of that and the context of that night, but it was quite telling seeing the different reactions of the players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Yassin said:

If you're getting paid Premier League money then aye maybe, but fuck playing for Motherwell for buttons and not even being allowed a bevvy.

This in a nutshell is why Scottish football is miles behind the rest of Europe. An acceptance of mediocrity.  Maybe you were joking with your comment? Professional football players should not drink. Rebelling against a manager because he has to tell you not to have a drink would be embarrassing for our senior players if this were true. 

There was clearly a tension between the senior players and Gannon from the outset. I am not going to pretend to know the truth as to why but I heard enough at the time to know that Gannon was not impressed by their professionalism (whether this was justified or not, I have no idea). 

This may have been mentioned above but I realised today that Gannon has secured promotion for Stockport County into the National league after two or three years of steady progression in the National League North. The man cannot be that much of a mug!!! 

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that night most of them were just having a few bottles of beer. They shouldn't be getting rat arsed during the season but a bit of beer or wine in moderation won't hurt. I don't think players in Spain, Italy, Germany or France go teetotal during the season. Rugby players train like maniacs now but still have a beer after the game.

That race night was a cracking night.

15 hours ago, steelboy said:

I'm fairly certain that night most of them were just having a few bottles of beer. They shouldn't be getting rat arsed during the season but a bit of beer or wine in moderation won't hurt. I don't think players in Spain, Italy, Germany or France go teetotal during the season.

I agree about the drinking in moderation.

Young fit guys can have a few beers and recover no bother.

Unfortunately drinking culture in this country means that many are unlikely to have a handful of bottles of beer or couple of glasses of wine.

The videos that came out of some Rangers players after the PoTY dinner (the day they beat us at fir park) were a shocking state for anyone to get in, let alone a professional athlete. Perhaps this points to a wider disciplinary problem at Ibrox, but that’s a different matter.

I don’t think players should be drinking to excess during the season, a guy like Cristiano Ronaldo is not dedicated and willing to sacrifice because he plays for Juve for £300k a week, he is there because he is dedicated and has made sacrifices  to squeeze everything out of the talent he’s got.

Jim Gannon is a name that always seems to split opinion amongst the Well fans be it good or bad.   

Said earlier in this topic I quite enjoyed his time in charge.  The 8-1 European game sticks in my head as a game as one of my favourite Well games I really enjoyed looking back.

One thing I will say is we have a better man who cares more about our club in charge at the minute.

• Like 1