Predictions for the Season 2019/20

Goggles & Flippers

Who's the Nostradamus/Warren Buffet and who's the Michael Fish/Alan Hansen "you'll never win anything with kids" c.1995 of this forum.

I'll start the ball rolling:

• What we've seen so far suggests there's been a good foundation made and players will only gel as time goes on. I think we'll replace Killie in the top half of the table even with their plastic pitch giving them 10-14 points a season. Hibs may falter too however have the war chest to go out at the 11th hour and buy class. Maybe St. Johnstone will be in the mix too if they get Stevie May and he rekindles his old form in blue
  • League position 4th, however may hinge on what sort of business Hearts and Aberdeen do.  We'll get Europa league on last weekend
  • Scott to start all games till Parkhead
  • Ilic to slowly move as the season progresses from the wing to take on the Turnbull role
  • Huyton to be used deeper to allow Seedorf to continue as an out and out winger
  • Campbell solid as always and chips in with 4 goals
  • Gallagher to win player of the season
  • One of our strikers will get 18 minimum
  • We'll score first more and not chase games as much. Robinson will have a plan B, C and D this season and will also mix it up come October and the end of the first round of matches
  • Grimmy will run 70 yards, skip 3 tackles and bury it. Yellow card for jumping into the Bois section

Happy to be proved wrong about:

• Turnbull to return early, seems like he's never been away but slight lack of focus due to all the press and social media b/s
  • Celtic will sniff in January as expected, hoping his form till then secures more English interest
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

Who's the Nostradamus/Warren Buffet and who's the Michael Fish/Alan Hansen "you'll never win anything with kids" c.1995 of this forum.

I'll start the ball rolling:

• What we've seen so far suggests there's been a good foundation made and players will only gel as time goes on. I think we'll replace Killie in the top half of the table even with their plastic pitch giving them 10-14 points a season. Hibs may falter too however have the war chest to go out at the 11th hour and buy class. Maybe St. Johnstone may be in the mix too if they get Stevie May and he rekindles his old form in blue
  • League position 4th, however may hinge on what sort of business Hearts and Aberdeen do.  We'll get Europa league on last weekend
  • Scott to start all games till Parkhead
  • Ilic to slowly move as the season progresses from the wing to take on the Turnbull role
  • Huyton to be used deeper to allow Seedorf to continue as an out and out winger
  • Campbell solid as always and chips in with 4 goals
  • Gallagher to win player of the season
  • One of our strikers will get 18 minimum
  • We'll score first more and not chase games as much. Robinson will have a plan B, C and D this season and will also mix it up come October and the end of the first round of matches
  • Grimmy will run 70 yards, skip 3 tackles and bury it. Yellow card for jumping into the Bois section

Happy to be proved wrong about:

• Turnbull to return early, seems like he's never been away but slight lack of focus due to all the press and social media b/s
  • Celtic will sniff in January as expected, hoping his form till then secures more English interest

I love a glass thats half full! 

I will raise you.....

Knocked out of League Cup by Celtic at Semi Final stage.

Win the Scottish Cup beating Aberdeen 3-1 in the final.

David Turbull returns to full fitness. Gets first Scotland cap and scores all 3 goals in Cup Final. Signs for Norwich City in the summer for £4.5m plus 20% sell on fee!

• Forgot the cups, League cup semi, Scottish cup quarter, penalties, gutted
  • Sportscene to continue with glaring errors and Thomson eventually agreeing with Stewart if he argues long enough
  • A completely random object (chib made of an Asda trolley bar?) will end up being thrown onto a pitch and will need 3 days of blanket press coverage
  • Both Rangers and Celtic fans will riot in Europe, Celtic getting another fine for Green Brigade antics

I'd love another stab at europe, although I admit it would take for a lot of things going our way !! I was at that awkward stage of still in school and not having a job when the decent european fixtures were around, Levante fell the day before my first ever pay cheque and the year after we got landed with Krasnodar in the arse end of Russia.

It would be nice but i'm not counting on it.

• Like 1

As usual rival teams will start to panic and we'll see a flurry of signing activity in the next 5 weeks or so.  Whether or not these signings prove to be effective is another matter entirely of course. St Mirren, for example, will be signing  a good few players.  Kilmarnock too will make some signings.  As far as St Johnstone go, they'll be in the market for a striker at the very least, but I don't think Stevie May will be their saviour.  In recent years he's played like a headless chicken and reminds me a lttle of  Curtis Main in that they are more interested in wrestling with the opposition than playing football.

As far as we are concerned we look to be improving although its too early to draw conclusions and the jury is still out on several new players.  From the limited evidence I saw on Friday, I think there are still question marks over our midfield. Will Robbo make achieve his first pick signing before the window closes?

I'll predict we won't be in the relegation dogfight. More than that is unclear, although I do think we'll continue with the attractive and entertaining football. Cautiously optimistic about our prospects.   

Finish the league in 6th place.  QFs in the league cup and 5th round in the SC (going out via a 93rd minute soft penalty against the h**s at Ibrox)

Still way too early to make any sort of prediction. If we are honest, the League Cup group matches are pre season fixtures. As it is, a good start to the league and I can see us being safe from relegation. As always, there is hope for better football on the park, maybe a cup run and, if others with more money to spend underperform, a prized top six finish. The reality is probably closer to half of our new signings being unsuccessful and us being a couple of injuries away from a dogfight. But it isn’t even August yet, so let the hope prevail.

It's weird this time last year despite the two cup finals the season before I didn't have the level of optimism I do now.

When I think of every position I think there are 2-3 capable players. Of course I may have a few of the youth players out of position or not giving them credit for others they have performed well at just due to lack of exposure. Ilic or Hylton may be able to play right winger in addition to Seedorf, again I've just not seen enough to verify. If anyone wants to add anything or make suggestions please do, I don't see enough reserve games to fully comment.

---------------------------------- Carson/Gillespie -----------------------------------

Tait/Grimshaw ----- Hartley/Gallagher/Dunne ----- Carroll/Tait/Livingston

--------------------------------- Donnelly/Maguire ----------------------------------

-------------- Sloth/Polworth/Campbell/Semple/Cornelius --------------------

------------------------------- Turnbull/Ilic/Tanner ----------------------------------

---- Seedorf -------------------------------------------------------- Ilic/Hylton -----

----------------------- Tanner/Cole/Scott/Johnson/Long -------------------------

It's a decent showing all round and many teams will be worrying how to combat us.

3 hours ago, ropy said:

I’ve not seen enough to know how we will do against the bigger teams,  no predictions for now.

This.

But as I said after one of the matches we have a technically stronger squad than at any time under Robinson.  There are more than a few guys there now who are actually footballers.

If he's going to break into the Top 6, this season might be the one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

There are more than a few guys there now who are actually footballers.

That's the key for me. Whether we break into the top 6 or not, I think we are likely to have more entertainment at Fir Park this time around. And outside of winning a trophy, that's why we turn up every week.

• Like 1

I definetly fancy us for top 6 this year.  Think Killie will be the team to drop out this year after Clarke leaving and especially after the euro result. 

Also fancy at least one trip to Hampden, have a feeling it will be in the Betfred cup before losing out to one of the ugly sisters  with a dodgy decision.

Much has been made of our wingers and our ability to play decent football, and rightly so.  But, if we are break into the top 6 and go to the likes of Rugby Park and McDiarmid Park and get results, then we will also have to be confident of defending well.  This means reliability, solidity and competitiveness.  I'm not yet 100% convinced that we have this.  We'll also need strikers who can hit the net working with meagre ammunition.  Getting results is more than just playing sexy attractive football.

Cautiously optimistic about our prospects. 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

7 years ago tonight we made our debut in the champions League, one of my proudest moments as a well fan. So a season that earns us another European adventure would be great, I think we will be top 6 but not sure if we can get as high as 4th.

Don’t rule us out, outside of Celtic and Rangers I don’t see a team with any real level of quality. Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Killy, St Johnstone ? Let’s be honest none of them exactly fill you with fear this season.

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Don’t rule us out, outside of Celtic and Rangers I don’t see a team with any real level of quality. Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Killy, St Johnstone ? Let’s be honest none of them exactly fill you with fear this season.

On the other hand, don't fall into the trap of judging teams on their Betfred/preseason games. There's plenty of time before the window closes for teams to stregthen their squads.

While I'm optimistic, I don't expect anything than a battle to make top 6 - same as most seasons.

10 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Usually it’s Motherwell who fill me with fear !