2019/2020 Game 2: Celtic (H) August 10th 12pm Kick off

David

2019/2020 Game 2: Celtic (H) August 10th 12pm Kick off  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How will we get on against Celtic?

• Motherwell win
    • Celtic win
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/2019 at 10:45 AM

This is probably not the game I wanted as our home opener, especially after seeing how they dismantled St Johnstone at the weekend. 

I know it's seen as defeatist, but I honestly view games like these as bonus points to an extent. Anything we can take from Celtic will be welcomed, but I wouldn't be surprised if we're on the receiving end of a thumping on Saturday.

I'd rather we went for it rather than trying to contain them, as that tactic rarely works.

We're at home and quite frankly, I don't expect us to loose at home, in any game. 

Certainly not expecting us to steam-roller Celtic, by any means however we should be looking to take points off them on our own patch. 

We do require some changes for last week in my mind.  More pace down both sides in order to ensure that we have solid out-ball options (as we will need them) and a little more composure in the middle of the park. 

Upfront, it's a little bit of a head scratcher. I can see that this might be the type of match for Scott to thrive in and drop deep to collect however he may get bullied too easily. 

With that being said, I'd go with: 

-----------------------Gillespie 

Tait-------Gallagher-----Dunne-----Carroll 

---------------Campbell----Donnelly 

-------------------Sloth 

Seedorf--------------------------Hylton 

-----------------Cole

Subs: 

Carson, Hartley, Maguire, Grimshaw, Polworth, Long, Scott

Full time: 2-2

Right, let's see if we have the fight and gumption to stop this mob strolling about doing what they want. Scott Brown decked slyly in the first couple of mins please. Guaranteed those Green Brigade wanks will be on the park if they score. Have to outdo the h**s to keep face. I'd take draw but  would love a win. 

Will be interesting to see how Celtic get on in Romania. Regardless of result, a Saturday lunchtime kickoff at Fir Park should play into our hands. 

I’d expect to see Robinson tweak the shape and personnel on Saturday with a view to our centre forward being less isolated. One other change I’d like is the inclusion of Grimshaw, either to add some steel and mobility to the midfield, or replace Tait who looks well below par to me. 

We have pace all through the team and most importantly at the back. Lets use that to press high up the park and not let them play their usual game. Sitting back and giving their players lots of time on the ball is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We have pace all through the team and most importantly at the back. Lets use that to press high up the park and not let them play their usual game. Sitting back and giving their players lots of time on the ball is a recipe for disaster.

Yep. We did really well at Fir Park by making Gordon, in particular, kick the ball into areas he didn't want to go (Danny Johnson 1-1 game?). Bain is...marginally better with the ball at his feet, but we've got to be on top of them.

Need to get the midfield right or Broon will be strolling through the game and dictating play as usual ,I fear the worst but hoping for a point .Lets see the front 3  of Seedorf ,Cole , Hylton  running at their donkeys at the back fingers crossed 

Celtic had a poor (by their standards) end to last season and have not strengthened significantly over the summer. They have not been properly tested so far this season and I think the St Johnstone result says more about where SJ are at this moment in time than it does about Celtics form. Having said that it shows what Celtic can do if a  team is off the pace.

I'm not sure that the European game has any real impact, it certainly hasn't in the past. The players are very fit these days and don't tend to suffer Euro hangovers. 

Sadly, I think Celtic will be too strong but we can still make life difficult for them and you never know what can happen if we are still in it beyond the hour mark. I would like to see how Lennon's Celtic would react under a bit of pressure. 

I fear a narrow defeat but I don't think we will suffer the same fate as St Johnstone. Hard to see where the goals are going to come from so I am going for a hard fought 1-0 defeat. However as always I hold out that little bit of hope that we could be in for a surprise.  I used to hate when our managers (McGhee and McCall were terrible for it) displayed such a defeatist attitude against the OF but I have wasted too much energy on blind optimism over the years to continue making that mistake.

• Like 1

I'm never particularly wary when we play the OF it at Fir Park to be honest. Our record is pretty decent at home to Celtic as of late. The majority of the time we raise our game and rise to the occasion and atleast make a decent fist of things.

St Johnstone are pretty gash at the moment too, I wouldn't read too much into Saturday's result until I see them against a better opponent. I still think we can give them a decent go at Fir Park on the tight park.

After the underwhelming performance on Saturday a few random thoughts with Saturday's game in mind:

•  Devante Cole looks like he has something when he came on, I think he would give us a bit more presence either upfront or on the wide area
  • Illic has a good touch and technically looks to be a baller if we can get him involved he could make things happen
  • I'm still firmly not convinced by Liam Donnelly, he didn't do enough for me on Saturday. Unfortunately I think this might be a problem area. Not sure if Sloth will be fit enough to play but if so I would throw him in
  • I was impressed with Hylton I think he will do well for us, from Saturday however I am a wee bit unsure how his stature is going to stand up in the SPFL. It might have just been because Livi are animals but he seemed to get bullied about a bit. Still, I think his trickery could be key to us getting anything on Saturday
  • Seedorf has something but some of his decision making and postional sense makes me think he has a lot to learn.

Gillespie 

Tait  Gallagher Dunne Carroll 

Illic Campbell Sloth Polworth Hylton 

Cole

I've no expectations of winning this (but always live in hope). Neither team's results from the weekend, however, will have much bearing on the match. From what I saw of the matches in the Betfred, St Johnstone have been uncharacteristically dire so far this season. While Celtic will be heavy favourites, we've a pretty decent record against them at Fir Park in recent times.

Agree that last Saturday for either team is not a great predictor if this fixture. We do need to be right on our game and I believe our own pitch’s slick surface gives us a chance to attack quickly from wide areas where I think Celtic are suspect. I’d play Cole up front in the hope that his pace will get him in behind a fairly ponderous central defence and I agree that we should put Grimshaw in not for Tait but to match up against Brown and give him a hard time: Grimmy’s energy and stamina could run Brown ragged (his legs are done anyway and he gets far too much respect from most teams).  1-1 would be about right but 2-1 is still very achievable.

2 hours ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Will be interesting to see how Celtic get on in Romania. Regardless of result, a Saturday lunchtime kickoff at Fir Park should play into our hands. 

My thoughts too. You look for any small gains you can take from fixture scheduling and them having Champions League qualifiers either side of the game, having had to return from Eastern Europe having an away fixture with an early kick-off is arguably as good as you might hope for in that regard.

• Like 1

Not expecting anything from this game but hope we give them a right good game as we have done in the recent past at home and see what happens. 

Not too concerned about the fact they put 7 past St Johnstone either when you see they lost to the likes of Montrose and Forfar 

It was a challenge that merited a red card imho. At the time I thought it was a bad challenge from both. 

Shame as he was playing quite well given low expectations. 

I assume he misses the League cup game also ? 

Still not sure I like trial by TV. Far too inconsistent and you can bet your mortgage that others will get off with similar or worse this season.