2019/2020 Game 2: Celtic (H) August 10th 12pm Kick off

David

2019/2020 Game 2: Celtic (H) August 10th 12pm Kick off  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How will we get on against Celtic?

• Motherwell win
    • Celtic win
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/2019 at 10:45 AM

6 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Shape is going to take a bit of time to tighten up. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the Betfred instead of pre-season means we set up to beat lower league teams where shape is less of an issue (because we are better). There are a a number of players in the team who haven't played against a team as good as Livi, never mind Celtic, that will need to get up to speed quickly.

Will the shape ever tighten up though? We were guilty of the same mistakes at home to Rangers towards the end of last season. I’m all for attractive football but it’s quite striking how far Robinson has stepped away from his defensive roots. 

Thought it was more individual errors for the goals. Gillespie for the second the three defenders who couldn’t block Forrest shot and Dunne for the 4th. We play like that against most of the rest of the league and we win 5-2 not a fair reflection. 

Need a a bit more from Long up top mind. 

1 minute ago, DEWELL said:

Dont understand going with 3 up front against the Old Firm. Should always play another midfielder to try and keep it tight.  Simply awfull today except Donnelly . Crying out for a decent target man. 

FFS people moan when we give them to much respect, now you are moaning when we go at them with 3 up top, it's unreal.

We scored 2 against the best team in the country  who could probably take 5 off most teams in the league so people need to chill and accept we were 2nd best today but we gave it a go.

• Like 1

Most of their goals today came on counter attacks , from general slack play and poor decision making from us , aided and abetted by some very questionable refereeing .

Normally under the cosh for large periods in these fixtures , but possession was 50/50 , we just made far too many rash and naive decisions throughout the whole match  and were punished accordingly .

We were the better team in the first half and really had them on the back foot with lots of energy and pushing high up the park .

To take the lead and then throw it away within a minute was criminal , they should have been chopped down in the middle of the park long before the ball made its way to Ajer .

Gillespie never exactly covered himself in glory at the free kick either , every single person in the Cooper knew exactly where it was going before Griffiths had even placed the ball , and it wasn't even well struck .

I'm sure we will go on to have a fairly solid mid-table season , and even dish out a few shoeing's to the team's around us along the way , but against the top 3 or 4 sides we need to be much , much better .

Oh , and the terrorist glorifying really is horrible and sickening to listen to . Vile mob .

Probably Gillespie worst performance. He was getting absolute pelters in the first half for his distribution from the Cooper. He seemed very nervous. The free kick an amateur keeper could have saved without any problem. I was right behind it and everyone was shouting at him to cover his left side, then he went down in installments as the ball trundle slowly past him. My son said he was embarrassed seeing that one go in.

• Like 1

Just now, DEWELL said:

Time for Carson to get back in goals.

Time for a new midfield the 5 in the middle were shocking yes Donnelly took his goals well but his overall play was terrible  Campbell had his boots on the wrong feet Polworth reminds me so much of Vigurs only plays when he is on the ball never helps the defence and the two wingers well the least said the better .Robinson saying in the interview that the team is not fit enough yet well that is down to him but he must get midfielders signed before the window shuts need a massive improvement on Friday night 

2 minutes ago, Well Well said:

Probably Gillespie worst performance. He was getting absolute pelters in the first half for his distribution from the Cooper. He seemed very nervous. The free kick an amateur keeper could have saved without any problem. I was right behind it and everyone was shouting at him to cover his left side, then he went down in installments as the ball trundle slowly past him.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but 'absolute pelters' from the stand would have been the cause of the nervousness I think. 

Why do football fans never learn that giving your own team pelters never works. 

• Like 1

First 30 minutes we were the better team then Celtic started getting more and more on top, the game was as good as over when the second went in. I thought we were far to open and really you can’t do that with the quality of players that Celtic have. Second half we were just totally outclassed. Midfield shows promise for me, Polworth was excellent first 30 minutes or so and Donnelly not far behind against a midfield that’s better than anyone else in the league. Our two flying wingers were never in the game and we still desperately need a quality centre forward. I think we will be just fine again this season and Fridays game will give a better indication of where we are, time to start making better judgements then after two games on a none football pitch and a team on a different level to us squad wise.

• Like 2

We were the better side for the first 30 minutes and only poor defending and some dodgy decisions by the officials punished us. Interesting to note in Robinson’s post match interview he highlighted that some of our players general fitness levels are not what they should be. Extra gym work required by some of the team.

13 minutes ago, star sail said:

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but 'absolute pelters' from the stand would have been the cause of the nervousness I think. 

Why do football fans never learn that giving your own team pelters never works. 

Maybe so but when you see him continually pinging goal kicks to seedorf and the ball being intercepted constantly by the celtic defence you would expect the keeper to change his distribution thats why he was getting pelters. I am happy to forgive and forget but he does need to work on his poor distribution. Maybe thats why we are constantly trying to play out from the back

My take on today.....great 1st half and really unlucky to be behind. Polworth great for 1st Well goal....good strike from Donnelly.....Bain terrible.....

Tait and Donnelly awful for 1st Celtic goal....

The free kick is very soft but he does hold him...stupid from Gallagher....Gillespie very poor

Grimshaw terrible  for 3rd goal (as he was for most of the game), then defence scared to touch Forrest in the box.

Deffo hand ball in lead up to 4th, how the officials don’t see that is unbelievable ... then Dunne horrific.

Donnelly awful for the 5th....

Bizarrely I feel more positive than I was going to the game, thought the midfield was good in the first half. Need to hope Cole can make the centre forward position his as Long doesn’t look good enough. 

We had a good first 25 minutes, but I was surprised that it took that long for Celtic to adjust tactically, and disappointed that we didn’t know what to do once they pressed us when Gillespie had the ball.

I don’t think setting up defensively gets us anything, so was happy to see us try to play our own game. The pace of the front three caused them problems for much of the first half, but we couldn’t make anything out of it.  

Their first goal was terrible from us, Tait got roasted and Dunne couldn’t cover. Conceding from that free kick was also  disappointing, and that’s the first bad game  I think I’ve seen Gillespie have. If he’s unable to play the ball long when needed teams are just going to do what Celtic did and force him to go long, which is going to be fruitless with the forward options we have.

After their third all bets were off, we were pushing to try and get back into it and they just picked us off. 

Polworth looks like he’s going to be a solid signing, but I still think we need a different option up front. 

For a defender/def mid, Donnelly really is composed in and around the opposition box, he has had some really good finishes this year and had a decent enough game. 

Overall I’m not going to make snap judgements for the season based on a game against Celtic. However from the two league games so far it is clear that the wingers aren’t going to run riot, and our defense isn’t as good as our record before this game suggests.