2019/2020 Game 2: Celtic (H) August 10th 12pm Kick off

David

2019/2020 Game 2: Celtic (H) August 10th 12pm Kick off  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How will we get on against Celtic?

• Motherwell win
    • Celtic win
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/10/2019 at 10:45 AM

21 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

Where’s the VAR? Never a yellow card

Is there provision for Gallagher's red card be annulled?  Can the referee admit to making an error, in his report which will be due in the next few days?  If not thats a real injustice as yellow cards do mount up and suspensions follow.   

11 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Is there provision for Gallagher's red card be annulled?  Can the referee admit to making an error, in his report which will be due in the next few days?  If not thats a real injustice as yellow cards do mount up and suspensions follow.   

I didn’t think there was, but they upgraded Carroll’s last week.

It was a 50/50 ball and Bolingoli shat out it.

It’s not why we lost yesterday, but we got nothing from Walsh.

Whilst I thought our penalty claim was on the soft side, 3 times in the game he gave Celtic a foul for similar incidents, 2 of those he gave a yellow card with. One of them lead to the ball coming up the park for the foul on Griffiths for the 2nd goal. The handball by Bolingoli in build up to 4th was a clear handball under any interpretation of the laws, old or new, his hand was straight up in the air.

I didn’t see much if any contact at their penalty either, but would need to see again.

Its hard enough up against them.

Just watched Robinson interview after the game. He concedes wingers weren’t fit enough to play the way he wants. 

Why the fuck did they start then and why not adjust style of play? 

Until we have wingers that can compete at this level and a holding midfielder who can dictate play we may need to revert to a back 3? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gee said:

Just watched Robinson interview after the game. He concedes wingers weren’t fit enough to play the way he wants. 

Why the fuck did they start then and why not adjust style of play? 

Until we have wingers that can compete at this level and a holding midfielder who can dictate play we may need to revert to a back 3? 

I don't necessarily agree but you have a valid point.  Going into our next couple of games, if the formation remains the same, then I can see Hearts and Accies doubling up on our 2/3  wingers who are not fully fit. That said how do they gain fitness except by playing? Maybe revert to 4 in midfield? 

I know it’s goals that count and despite some valid points re the wingers, some obvious individual errors etc I think we can take some encouragement from the stats. Do we normally have 11 shots against Celtic? Do we normally manage 50/50 possession?  Do teams normally score with 100% of their shots on goal? Yes, we have to stop goals and score goals but I think we have more to build on than the previous seasons and I am expecting a much better season than of late from the aspect of entertainment and results. 

0C74C167-BE4B-45B5-A388-AD0A04BAE859.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I know it’s goals that count and despite some valid points re the wingers, some obvious individual errors etc I think we can take some encouragement from the stats. Do we normally have 11 shots against Celtic? Do we normally manage 50/50 possession?  Do teams normally score with 100% of their shots on goal? Yes, we have to stop goals and score goals but I think we have more to build on than the previous seasons and I am expecting a much better season than of late from the aspect of entertainment and results. 

0C74C167-BE4B-45B5-A388-AD0A04BAE859.png

Half way through the first half we were sitting on 65% possession. We were dictating play and taking the game to Celtic and they were struggling to cope. If we could have held on for 10-15 minutes after we scored, perhaps the outcome would have been very different. We definitely ran out of steam but the early signs were very promising. 

I watched the highlights. First goal Tait exposes himself and gets roasted by Ajer then Donelly decides to fall over rather than track the run. Second goal a four man wall and Allan Campbell is supposed to be trying to charge but shites himself. Third goal is a pathetic effort by Grimshaw, Campbell, Donnelly and Gallagher. Fourth goal obviously a handball but Dunne gifted it. Fifth goal horrendous by Donnelly.

Scoring two goals and selling three is some afternoon's work for Liam Donnelly.

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I watched the highlights. First goal Tait exposes himself and gets roasted by Ajer then Donelly decides to fall over rather than track the run. Second goal a four man wall and Allan Campbell is supposed to be trying to charge but shites himself. Third goal is a pathetic effort by Grimshaw, Campbell, Donnelly and Gallagher. Fourth goal obviously a handball but Dunne gifted it. Fifth goal horrendous by Donnelly.

Scoring two goals and selling three is some afternoon's work for Liam Donnelly.

Not disagreeing with you as in who cost the goals but Donnelly never shirked any tackle, he got proper stuck in. Pretty composed on the ball as well and never hid like others did. Took his 2 goals well also.

After our league cup efforts I imagine it's been a wake up call for our new players. It's one thing being told what to expect, but playing Livi on that pitch then hitting the best team in the league (soon to be followed by a Hearts game) will be valuable experience.

As always, the guys from down south are a few weeks behind in the fitness levels required to play our high press. 

Not all of them will make it, but I'm not too worried yet. 

My view after the game was “ how the hell did we get beat 5-2”? Of course steel boy pretty much outlined why but I wouldn’t blame Campbell for the free kick goal.  The wall Set up gave Griffiths a clear view of the goal. I’ll put that down to Gillespie. Having said that I don’t understand some posts wondering if he should be dropped!! Not even close to having that conversation. 

• Like 1

Straight after the game, I was pretty positive. There were a few encouraging signs, albeit we gifted then some goals. Felt that we were a cutting edge short of a decent team. Really unconvinced by Ilic and Seedorf. Not sure either will do but feel that either Polworth or Semple could step in when Sloth is fit. 

But when Robinson admits after the game that our players simply don't have the fitness to maintain a pressing game, we're in trouble. Every team we face will now know they simply have to keep in tight for the first hour or so and they'll be fine as we'll have shot our bolt...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

My view after the game was “ how the hell did we get beat 5-2”? Of course steel boy pretty much outlined why but I wouldn’t blame Campbell for the free kick goal.  The wall Set up gave Griffiths a clear view of the goal. I’ll put that down to Gillespie. Having said that I don’t understand some posts wondering if he should be dropped!! Not even close to having that conversation. 

My thoughts are not so much about dropping Gillespie but keeping Carson involved, I expected him to get one or two Betfred matches, or is he not back to being himself?

2 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

I’m not sure what to make of Ilic. He seems like a hard worker, however, I get the feeling he’s the kind of player who would contrive to miss an open goal from two yards.

Just described Mains entire last season with us. So no change on goal scoring front there then.

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I suspect that in around a month's time, this will be the generally held view. And be correct...

Will need more than a month, I think. While not at the highest level, Hylton has had the advantage of 69 competitive first team games in the past 2 seasons. Seedorf only about 15 and definitely still lacking fitness.

If we're talking about Ilic, I'd say he's a midfielder, not a winger.

Took Gorrin 6 months to find any form last season.

• Thanks 1