Striker

nacnud14

I actually thought we played decent against Celtic. Campbell and Donnelly kept and distributed the ball well, looked very composed. Defence looked solid at times thought Gallagher was very good. Think the difference in the two teams was the attack. We’re just lacking that goal scorer like a higdon or moult that we used to have. Honestly think we should go for Lafferty he could be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Everyone is missing a Higdon or a Moult, but we do need someone who offers the ability to win the ball and hold it up. We don’t have the midfield set up to rely on three quick guys trying to get in behind, and Scott is still raw.

I’d have lafferty any day, but think it’s beyond us.

We have never managed to replace Moult in what is a difficult position to fill for a team with our limited budget.  Occasionally you can hit the jackpot with a Higdon or a Moult but these are few and far between. I would have liked to have signed Shankland as I believe he could have easily made the step up into the premiership and he has a good eye for goal. 

No point in dwelling on who we didn't sign. The simple fact is we need to get in a decent number 9 before the window shuts it could make all the difference in our top 6 efforts. Young Scott has potential but he's too inexperienced to play well regularly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Haggischomper said:

Shankland was in the Premier before, no?

He was at Aberdeen for a while, but mostly loaned out to lower league teams. Wiki has him at 17 appearances for them with no goals.

For me, he is still an unknown at the top level. We've seen plenty of prolific lower league strikers over the years that, for whatever reason, can't make the step up. Similarly, we see guys like Craig Moore prosper when they move down a division.

Moot anyway, as there is no way we could have afforded him.

13 minutes ago, Ross said:

Apparently we can’t afford lafferty but he would be willing to take a wage cut to play under robbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lafferty would be a great bit of business, a definite upgrade on the striking options we have at the moment.

Lafferty has stated his desire to return to Hearts, should he stay in Scotland. 

Im assuming we have a few irons in the fire and have held back a few quid to bring in an experienced striker at the end of the month. Having said that, Robinson has yet to show he has an eye for a striker and goalscoring forwards that can play upfront alone are difficult to find at this level. 

Another issue for me at the moment is the wingers. We have invested in Hylton, Seedorf and Illic who all caught the eye in spells against lower league opposition. All exciting prospects, however none of them look ready for this level yet and we are relying on these players to create chances. Hopefully at least one of them can get up to speed soon enough.

For all Lafferty is experienced at this level, someone else posted his stats a few weeks ago and I was surprised that they werent actually that good. Given that and the fact that he is a somewhat controversial character, Id rather we steered clear.

At this stage I would Imagine we are looking at a loan deal. Hopefully we can strike gold and get some quality in, even if it is developing someone elses player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, underboyleheating said:

Wow! So he’s being paid £12k a month and was given 300k to sign? Not that I’m doubting you, however, if true that’s just crazy.

Utd are definitely chucking cash at the team this season to try and escape from that league. It's a high risk strategy (unless the new owner has money to burn on a hobby).

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Utd are definitely chucking cash at the team this season to try and escape from that league. It's a high risk strategy (unless the new owner has money to burn on a hobby).

There is no money in football at that level  so it must be a hobby. I’m not sure what I’m more shocked about, the 12k a month or the 300k signing on fee. That’s surely Rangers, Aberdeen territory?

3 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

Surely Lafferty would cost about as much as Shankland?

Lafferty said last week he gets dropped because he never trains hard enough.  Not sure that would sit well with the gaffer.

I'd also need convincing that he can score goals because, despite his record against us, he's only had 3 seasons out of 14  where he managed double figures - and double figures has meant 11, 11 and 12 goals. Around 5 or 6 seems to be his average return in his other eleven season.

25 minutes ago, gee said:

Big money in the championship but he’s arguably worth that if he scores 25+ goals this season? 

Big step up, I think the fact not one of the better clubs in the top flight was interested in him tells it’s own story.

18 hours ago, Al B said:

From what I gather, Shankland was asking for 3 grand a week and a 300k signing on fee. United gave him it.

I'd heard that Shankland was on £4k per week at Tannadice but hadn't heard about the signing on fee.  Crazy money, which United can't afford. 

Struggling to see Long or Scot (yet) as being the answer up front for us this season, however the during the short cameos from Cole I think there may be a player there if we can get him fit enough!

Agree with others in that I expect we'll see a striker coming in on loan later in the transfer window....Really hope we're also still looking for a holding/passing midfield player, as I don't think what we have will do, all be it that yesterday was more encouraging on that front with Donnelly, Campbell and Polworth all having very good 1st halfs......