Vs Hibs

GazzyB

Seedorf was fine, he made a couple of mistakes but works hard enough and took his goal well. It’s good to see him grow in confidence and improve. he’s clearly still learning, and I’m happy to for him to do that if he can keep scoring goals like that. I’m more worried about Hylton who looked woeful despite the nice finish. 

Scott is on the verge of really breaking out, it’s easy to forget he’s just turned 19.

I forgot to mention Polworth, who I thought was solid again, and is becoming a key player for us. Donnelly also improved in his general display, but the hibs midfield was only as strong as the paper they look good on, which may have been a factor.

I’d echo the earlier comment that hibs look like a side that’s trying to get their manager sacked, and he’d probably deserve it for selecting Whittaker. 

42 minutes ago, Shotts Well Fan said:

There are some fucking twats on here. If you can't see that Seedorf played well today it is gob smacking. I suppose when you have an opinion you can't change otherwise you look a fool.

Remember steelboy thought Higdon was not the right quality for us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Seedorf was fine, he made a couple of mistakes but works hard enough and took his goal well. It’s good to see him grow in confidence and improve. he’s clearly still learning, and I’m happy to for him to do that if he can keep scoring goals like that. I’m more worried about Hylton who looked woeful despite the nice finish. 

Scott is on the verge of really breaking out, it’s easy to forget he’s just turned 19.

I forgot to mention Polworth, who I thought was solid again, and is becoming a key player for us. Donnelly also improved in his general display, but the hibs midfield was only as strong as the paper they look good on, which may have been a factor.

I’d echo the earlier comment that hibs look like a side that’s trying to get their manager sacked, and he’d probably deserve it for selecting Whittaker. 

Out of interest, how did you come to the opinion that Hylton looked woeful when he came on? Seems like a wild take to me but there we are.  

It's for days like this that I renew my ST every year. Every player giving their all for the cause. Polworth was the stand out for me, composure on the ball and can pick a pass. Thought Hartley bossed Camberi all afternoon and gave us the much needed steel at the back (no pun intended). Looking forward to the trip to Tynecastle! 

He looked slow and tentative on the ball to me. There was a couple of times he took the sting out of our attack when he received the ball. Like seedorf, he’s showed glimpses, so there’s plenty of opportunity to prove me wrong. It will be interesting to see where we stand on the crop of wingers come the end of this season.

4 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

It's for days like this that I renew my ST every year. Every player giving their all for the cause. Polworth was the stand out for me, composure on the ball and can pick a pass. Thought Hartley bossed Camberi all afternoon and gave us the much needed steel at the back (no pun intended). Looking forward to the trip to Tynecastle! 

Yes,I’m hoping we can exact some revenge for our league cup exit and come away with all 3 points and continue to improve. 

• Like 1

Really pleased with that today.   Donnelly for me, goalscoring apart, really is starting to contribute well as a midfielder, thought that Campbell and Polworth were also outstanding.   Hartley the old warhorse is back, and probably merits the first team spot.   Wingers ain’t the finished article but, hey, could we afford them if they were?  Canny complain with two goals,

Days like today make the ol’ Motherwell rollercoaster worthwhile....

57 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

He looked slow and tentative on the ball to me. There was a couple of times he took the sting out of our attack when he received the ball. Like seedorf, he’s showed glimpses, so there’s plenty of opportunity to prove me wrong. It will be interesting to see where we stand on the crop of wingers come the end of this season.

Hylton won more balls put in to him and looked a lot more threatening than Scott did the whole game, I thought he was excellent.

I wasn't quite sure how this was going to beforehand so to come out with a 3-0 win at the end of it is an excellent days work.

There were chances for both sides in the opening minute and that kind of set the tone for the first half.  Gillespie had a couple of good saves and as well as the well taken goal from Seedorf we should really have scored more.

We had opportunities to go further ahead early in the second half before Hibs had their best spell of the game with a fair bit of sustained pressure, albeit with not so many chances at the end of it.

The substitutions gave us the energy we needed to recommence the high pressing game that had worked well in the first half and when we went two ahead Hibs looked like they had just chucked it.  The third was the icing on the cake.

A lot of good performances out there. Hartley looked like the commanding figure of his early days with us and the much lauded creative Hibs midfield didn't to dominate the way like thanks to the doggedness of Campbell, Donnelly and Polworth. Grimshaw had one of his best afternoons in claret and amber and for the second weekend in succession Scott impressed in an inside forward role.

A good day!

Thought that pretty much the whole team did well today. Hartley does read the game well and marshalled the defence excellently. Can't praise the work ethic highly enough. Everyone ran themselves into the ground today. Alan Campbell was everywhere and must be a real nuisance to play against. He is also improving his game coming out with the ball and linking play.

James Scott is improving with each game and could be a real asset if his progress continues.

I see that opinions are a bit split about Seedorf and Hylton. For me, at this point, Seedorf doesn't work for the team and hides at times. He needs to be braver and look to use pace.  Hylton does some good stuff, but never seems to have the ball under control when he is running. His pace and aggression work in his favour though and he does give defenders problems.  There is no doubt that when he cuts inside he has power to his shot. Both need to work on their game, but at this level they may go on to do us a right good turn. Just remember how Humphrey improved in his time at For Park.

Overall a good three points in what could have been much more difficult than it turned out.

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

Seedorf apart from the goal mate was shite the only reason he gets a start if he must be good in training or did you think he played well ?

Seedorf got Jonathan Sutherland's Man of the Match in his BBC report.

Thought this was a first class game. They could have won by more if they had taken more of the chances. Impressed by Hartley, he showed what a Captain should do directing all round. Scott also impressed, not afraid to take a man on and beat him. All in all a good performance. Agree that Hibs seem to capitulate after the 2nd goal, although they had a lot of possession they did not show much penetration. Just watched Alba and the 1st penalty shout was definitely a stonewalled. 

That was an excellent game of football. Great atmosphere and I was sure there was more than 5300 odd in today. Hibs were well and truly still in the game at 1-0 and at times, they passed it about really neatly (then tended to fuck it up), however we just had everything today - aggression, composure, creativity, teamwork. 

Gives me real hope for this season and I definitely think there is far more to come from this squad. 

48 minutes ago, CoF said:

That was an excellent game of football. Great atmosphere and I was sure there was more than 5300 odd in today. Hibs were well and truly still in the game at 1-0 and at times, they passed it about really neatly (then tended to fuck it up), however we just had everything today - aggression, composure, creativity, teamwork. 

Gives me real hope for this season and I definitely think there is far more to come from this squad. 

The attendance was just under 6000

Thought we were superb today! Match was a great advert for the game in Scotland.

I've been watching the well for over 35 years and while admittedly my attendence at games hasnt been great over the last 10 years while bringing up the family. Between watching us beat Hamilton last week and today's game I've got my mojo back and have even managed to get my 11 year old daughter enjoying watching us.

Have been keeping my eye on this board without posting for years and while we are all entitled to our opinion I must say some guys are really half glass empty to put it mildly , lets all get hehind the team and hope we can build on the last couple or results........

MON THE WELL!

• Like 8

The stick dished out to Sherwin Seedorf from some on this site is ridiculously OTT and totally unwarranted.  He's in a foreign country, only 21 years old and just starting  out on his professional football career - today was only his 4th game for us (and he scored) and his 19th in all. 

Most people if they are totally honest, made a lot of mistakes at their work at that age - I know I did -  but didn't have folk baying for them to be sacked.

So FFS cut the young guy some slack and get behind him, encourage and support him. 

• Like 12

Very strange game.

Defensively, we were  strong and Hartley was instrumental in marshaling others around him. 

In midfield, Hibs controlled much of the ball but never really created that many chances. Donnelly was better today and Campbell played well. Polworth is very good on the ball and played some nice passes, but he can’t tackle and gets caught on the wrong side. 

Scott also performed well. Very strong with the ball at his feet, could compete a little better in the air, but that will come.

Seedorf, goal apart, I’m sorry to say, was a man short. Without the ball, he doesn’t compete well or cover and with the ball, he’s not quite sure what to do with it at times. In my opinion, he’s also too lightweight.

Long, should have scored 3. Again, with this one, I’m not convinced. Not so much by ability, as by attitude. Jury is still out for me...

overall, a good win. Should've scored more however.  

• Like 2

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on certain players and to be fair most are fairly accurate.

But it is also glaringly obvious to all with a modicum of common sense that Motherwell FC can not afford to buy players who are the finished article or who do not have deficiencies in their game.  That will always be the way most probably and certainly as a fan owned club. 

So I find it amusing when this and that player is criticised for missing chances or not defending well or any other aspects of their game. Take Polworth - almost all ICT fans said he was their best and most creative player but did not defend all that well. If he could do everything well he would be worth many millions and not be at MFC. 

Seedorf, Hylton, Cole etc. They are again only with us because they are showing promise. Hopefully they will develop like a Moult or Kipre but not all will. 

Players do take time to get up to speed with the pace of our game and settle into unfamiliar surroundings. I am not saying don’t criticise players but give them a chance and remember why they are at our club and not Liverpool or Man City. 

Great game and please to see Hartley marshalling defence. Maybe a bit slower than a year or so ago but he is ideal Captain material. His instructions and chat with Cole b4 he came on the pitch was great to see. 

Also loved Robbo going nuts on the sidelines at one point even when we were winning. I have always felt he was a good Manager for Motherwell and fear if he gets us going this season he will ultimately become a target and a greater loss potentially than any player. 

• Like 2

On the Seedorf debate I see some parallels with Chris Humphrey with him.

Whilst the physical attributes aren't the same Humphrey arrived with a similar burst of pace and an ability to find the net but with the same lack of nous and game intelligence that Seedorf has yet to develop.

It took a good while for that to come with Chris but when it did we had a player. I think Seedorf is very much a work in progress and in time we'll see a smarter, more rounded player than the raw inexperienced one we have currently.

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk