Vs Hibs

GazzyB

37 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

On the Seedorf debate I see some parallels with Chris Humphrey with him.

Whilst the physical attributes aren't the same Humphrey arrived with a similar burst of pace and an ability to find the net but with the same lack of nous and game intelligence that Seedorf has yet to develop.

It took a good while for that to come with Chris but when it did we had a player. I think Seedorf is very much a work in progress and in time we'll see a smarter, more rounded player than the raw inexperienced one we have currently.

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm simply posting to try and balance the debate on Seedorf, Hylton and Long. They have been signed as potential talent - not matured! If they had already shown their potential, they would command transfer values of £Ms and multi thousand salaries. But they're at Motherwell as freebies on relative peanuts of a wage. This is how we operate as a club.

I think it is great that we are seeing glimpses of skill from all three, and we should commend them for it. The mistakes, poor touches and dropping out of games will hopefully diminish as the weeks go by. This is not just my view - listen to Stephen Robinson's post match interview.

James Scott looks like he is ready for a regular start. I'm glad he hasn't gone out on loan as many on here suggested.

• Like 3

Having just seen his goal, I didn't think Seedorf would ever be capable of scoring a goal like that. Driving at his man, skipping away from him at pace and then lashing it in from 20 odd yards. The very next clip in the highlights he skins his man again and basically put it on a plate for Scott. He had an absolute mare against Hearts, but it's clear that there's a player in there for sure. Hopefully he has a bit of confidence behind him now and kicks on!

Also even though it's not shown in the highlights, the Hylton non penalty decision was a fuckin shocker. If we had gone on to not win the game we would all be fuming with it. Hopefully the BBC put it on their highlights so we can get another look at it.

A tough fixture at Tynecastle after the break, but then three very winnable fixtures. Early season optimism in full flow again. 

I had to make do with watching the game on Alba last night and we clearly deserved the 3 points. Scott, Hartley, Grimshaw and Polworth caught my eye but I couldn't help but notice how effective Gallagher was in the air.  Aerially, not much got past him and he's a real asset at our corner kicks. I didn't think we looked particularly comfortable until, the second goal went in and worryingly defensively Hibs opened quite a few gaps and were allowed to see the whites of Gillespie's eyes more than they should have done.  Fortunately Hibs lacked a killer touch up front.  That said, it was another clean sheet so we're clearly doing something right at the back. 

Quite a few of the new lads now seem to be coming onto a game but we need to give them time.  Thats especially true of Seedorf and Hylton but there's definitely players in there.  Polworth looks to be settling in nicely.  Some baffling refereeing decisions especially Hylton's rejected penalty claim.  I wonder if the Compliance Officer will be interested in Long and Whittaker's challenges? 

A big win for us going into the international break.  Still that will break up continuity but hopefully our momentum won't be affected.

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

On the Seedorf debate I see some parallels with Chris Humphrey with him.

Whilst the physical attributes aren't the same Humphrey arrived with a similar burst of pace and an ability to find the net but with the same lack of nous and game intelligence that Seedorf has yet to develop.

It took a good while for that to come with Chris but when it did we had a player. I think Seedorf is very much a work in progress and in time we'll see a smarter, more rounded player than the raw inexperienced one we have currently.

Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Totally agree with this assessment. No doubt he can be frustrating to watch, not making the right runs, not looking for the ball when he should be. But there is certainly pace, skill, ability to go either side of his man to shoot or cross. If the rest falls into place he could be a right nightmare for defences at our level.

Let's remember he's only 21 with a handful of senior games. Had he come through our own academy I think we'd all be talking up his potential rather than criticising what he lacks.

20 hours ago, fizoxy said:

He looked slow and tentative on the ball to me. There was a couple of times he took the sting out of our attack when he received the ball. Like seedorf, he’s showed glimpses, so there’s plenty of opportunity to prove me wrong. It will be interesting to see where we stand on the crop of wingers come the end of this season.

He came on, scored a goal, should have had a penalty after using his strength to win the ball and drove into the box and generally looked capable of keeping the ball under pressure at a time when that was exactly what we were needing. By no means the finished article but he’s playing for Motherwell, sakes. Really not sure what you are expecting?

It’s a game all about opinions but it’s hard to get away from yours being wide of the mark here.

6 hours ago, Kmac said:

Seedorf, goal apart, I’m sorry to say, was a man short. Without the ball, he doesn’t compete well or cover and with the ball, he’s not quite sure what to do with it at times. In my opinion, he’s also too lightweight.

Not defending him without admitting he has a lot to learn.

But on one occasion second half  Robinson screamed at him to cover back when we were under pressure, which he immediately  did try to do. Literally seconds later Donnelly was screaming at him to get up the field having covered the area the Manager was pointing out. Once again with our wide players it's trying to get the best of both worlds in attack and defence. Its a tough and confusing ask for someone so inexperienced. More seasoned players than Seedorf have struggled to play that dual role....Ainsworth and Frear as examples. Remember Omar Daley?.  Hopefully Seedorf is a quick learner.

Ability and attitude wise I think there is something there. The goal he scored yesterday shows that. And to say he did nothing else is just not true.  You conveniently ignore the chance he set up for Scott. He contributed more for us than the likes of Horgan did for Hibs....and many regard him as a good player.

I get Seedorf is a frustrating player and he probably would not be my first choice. And maybe he won't make it. But Hylton and Ilic can also be just as frustrating . Scott did really well yesterday, but try telling me he made the correct choices every time he had the ball. Awareness of teammates  and realising when to pass will come in time, but those are things Scott needs to develop.  Compared to those three Seedorf is miles behind in game experience at a decent level. It's a huge step up. Confidence also plays a huge part, and again those three are in a better place.

Players that we sign are unlikely to be the finished article. Some will have more to learn than others. Some will not make it and eventually leave. But please let's not crucify a young lad who is doing his best and is on a huge learning curve. Particularly after he scores in a match we actually won by a street FFS. But then, we need scapegoats  if Dunne is not playing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Not defending him without admitting he has a lot to learn.

But on one occasion second half  Robinson screamed at him to cover back when we were under pressure, which he immediately  did try to do. Literally seconds later Donnelly was screaming at him to get up the field having covered the area the Manager was pointing out. Once again with our wide players it's trying to get the best of both worlds in attack and defence. Its a tough and confusing ask for someone so inexperienced. More seasoned players than Seedorf have struggled to play that dual role....Ainsworth and Frear as examples. Remember Omar Daley?.  Hopefully Seedorf is a quick learner.

Ability and attitude wise I think there is something there. The goal he scored yesterday shows that. And to say he did nothing else is just not true.  You conveniently ignore the chance he set up for Scott. He contributed more for us than the likes of Horgan did for Hibs....and many regard him as a good player.

I get Seedorf is a frustrating player and he probably would not be my first choice. And maybe he won't make it. But Hylton and Ilic can also be just as frustrating . Scott did really well yesterday, but try telling me he made the correct choices every time he had the ball. Awareness of teammates  and realising when to pass will come in time, but those are things Scott needs to develop.  Compared to those three Seedorf is miles behind in game experience at a decent level. It's a huge step up. Confidence also plays a huge part, and again those three are in a better place.

Players that we sign are unlikely to be the finished article. Some will have more to learn than others. Some will not make it and eventually leave. But please let's not crucify a young lad who is doing his best and is on a huge learning curve. Particularly after he scores in a match we actually won by a street FFS. But then, we need scapegoats  if Dunne is not playing.

In my time there appears to have always been a player that never gets a break, I just wish at times people were more patient and give players time to develop, Donnelly another always in the firing line yet improving game on game.

• Like 1