Hearts away, 14/9

fizoxy

Looking forward to this one. Think it’s a game we should be looking to take a least a draw from but don’t see any reason why we can’t win it. I think we made Hearts look better than they are in the recent cup game. An early goal would be ideal for us given the recent pressure on them and Levein. 

Going for 2-1 well

3 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Could we see Campbell rested for this one? He’s been busy. 

Likewise will Aaron Hickey be in the Hearts squad afer being withdrawn from the national Under 19 squad? Prices for this game are ridiculous and its plain that Hearts neither need nor want  away fans.

————Gillespie

Grimshaw—-Hartley—-Gallagher—-Carroll

—————-Donnelly

Scott——-Campbell——O’Hara——Seedorf

————————Cole

Subs:

Carson

Dunne 

Tait

Maguire

Polworth

Hylton

Long

Would like to see O’Hara come in, in the centre of the park in order to give us a little more physicality. For me, Long isn’t showing enough as a lone striker and Cole showed real promise at the end of the Hibs game.

Two changes and 2-1 to the Well

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

Long is getting himself in all the right positions and the goals will come, agreed though that Cole looked good when he came on however i reckon he will stick with the same. Dropping Polworth is way off the mark, why would you drop him out of interest? FWIW, unless he's injured he will be in the starting 11.

Totally agree. Polwarth has been one of our best players.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Long is getting himself in all the right positions and the goals will come, agreed though that Cole looked good when he came on however i reckon he will stick with the same. Dropping Polworth is way off the mark, why would you drop him out of interest? FWIW, unless he's injured he will be in the starting 11.

Not designed at having a go at Polworth.

In my opinion however, we are too lightweight in the middle of the park, especially for playing hearts at Tynecastle, with Campbell, Polworth and Donnelly as a middle 3

2 hours ago, Kmac said:

In my opinion however, we are too lightweight in the middle of the park, especially for playing hearts at Tynecastle, with Campbell, Polworth and Donnelly as a middle 3

Very true and thats no doubt why O'Hara has been brought in although he'll be short of match fitness.  To Tynecastle you can add several other venues such as Pittodrie and Rugby Park. 

Donnelly and Campbell are hardly lightweight. 

I think there's a bit of revisionism going on here. It wasn't that long ago the same theory was being applied to Accies at New Age Douglas Park, but that midfield prospered there. The last thing we want to be doing is start dropping our players that can pass a ball. If anybody wants to watch that kind of game the Rugby World Cup is starting soon.

We lost the last game against Hearts because 11 out of 11 players failed to perform. I don't think that will happen in Saturday's game.

• Like 1

I don't believe for a second there is  a "lightweight in midfield" issue. More problematic is a  lack of numbers in midfield at times as a result of playing three out and out forwards. Compounded by the tiring effect on those three midfielders  of having to run themselves into the ground covering four and sometimes five opponents. Look at how Celtic pushing an extra man into midfield (Ajer) changed that game. Until then our "lightweight" midfield more than held their own against the best team in the country.   If the full backs step up to support then that leaves too much space at the back for decent forwards to exploit. It's the down side of playing a more attacking, two winger focused style.

But to even contemplate dropping our most...perhaps only...creative midfielder is just crazy. If we need to strengthen midfield for specific matches (away from home?)  it can be done by playing an extra player in that area at the expense of one of those three forwards. 4-4-2 perhaps with Seedorf dropping out. I can certainly see four in midfield coming into play when Turnbull is fit.

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Polworth is great with the ball. We're a man down when he doesn't have it.

I hear people saying that, but I don't think it's completely true.

Just for kicks, I watched him off the ball in the last couple of games and while he's not a rugged tackler, he does track his man and often does enough to interfere with him to stop progress, disrupt his pass or make him turn back.

Even if he did none of that, though, he should still be in the team for his on-the-ball contributions.

On a different note, the Evening Times says Sloth is "in contention" for this game.

8 hours ago, weeyin said:

Even if he did none of that, though, he should still be in the team for his on-the-ball contributions.

Rubbish we are a team that can't have anybody not working for the team so unless he adds a work rate to his game is the one that should drop out 

Tynecastle is not an easy place to go and although Hearts have not had the best of starts they have only lost to Celtic and Aberdeen, the latter narrowly. So it will be tough even if we do improve on our last game against them. It would be nice to keep our momentum going as we move into a run of “easier” fixtures. I don’t think we want to introduce too many new faces, therefore, and expect minimal changes and those due to injury (I e Dunne). A cautious 2-1 to the Steelmen prediction...

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

he does track his man and often does enough to interfere with him to stop progress, disrupt his pass or make him turn back.

I'd disagree with every bit of that.

Having said that, I like him as a player and as I said he's great with the ball 90% of the time.