Hearts away, 14/9

fizoxy

3 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Let’s hope we can maintain our good run through the next few games. Definately a few winnable games coming up but only if we play well and apply ourselves. We won’t get points just for turning up. 

Looking in advance at Hamilton away on their plastic pitch then two big city clubs with budgets that dwarf ours the thought of three wins would seem ridiculous. I think it’s fair to say the management and players have to come out with a huge amount of credit for doing exactly that. The new signings along with Donnelly are also bit by bit showing they may have plenty to offer.

• Like 4

I haven't posted for ages but I can't believe that a monumental victory against Hearts at Swinecastle has so few responses!! That was a superb performance with one of the goals of the season from Seedorf and a great defensive display ( despite the 2 Hertz goals) allied to some combative midfield play. We are shaping up to be an attractive, winning team. Only downside is we may be proving Chico right with 3rd place this season!!

For me the only real blip so far has been the hearts league cup game. Although Celtic cuffed us We did gift them a few goals but we also had a decent amount of possession and scored 2 goals. However, the league cup game we were just terrible. I’m hoping our terrible games will be much less frequent than our good games   It’s the MFC rollercoaster so you know there are more terrrible games to come.  Let’s just hope they are blips in among some long runs of good form. 

From front to back we were very, very good. The players all look like they know the job they've to do. Thought Hartley and Polworth were the standouts, and Campbell had his best game in many months. The strength and depth in the squad is plain to see when you look at the substitutions we made. I thought O'Hara in particular did well to take a bit of control when he came on. 

I think it says a lot that we've come away with a win at Tynecastle feeling like we should (not could) have scored more. I've also got a feeling the backline will be gutted to not keep the clean sheet after putting in an otherwise fantastic shift. I'm sure there will be many blips, but there's a definite feeling that there's even more to come from this team. 

That was fantastic from us, a blast back to our best tyncastle performances under mcghee (1st season) and mccall, with the caveat that i have never seen hearts quite so shitte at home. Brilliant ballsy performances and goals from our young wingers, pressed and broke all game. Donnelly superb sitting deep. Crowd buzzing too, shift from the bois.

• Like 1

Having come through it and got the three points its a bit easier to look back on things and reflect on how good that was today.  If we'd have chucked it away having twice been ahead by a couple of goals it undoubtedly would have been a different story but we got there, deservedly so, and can savour three fine points.

It wasn't pretty for the opening spell.  We looked pretty comfortable, save for the odd moment or two, but weren't creating that much.  Gallagher was of course influential in changing that with the shot that was tipped over and the header from the resultant corner.  It certainly seemed to give us a good bit more confidence and we could easily have added another couple before the interval.  Donnelly's effort off the bar would have been sweet but the chance almost on half-time when Polworth, I think, shot when Cole was set for a tap in had you quietly wondering if we might pay for the misses in the second half.

The second, and indeed third goals, were fantastic not only in terms of execution and the scenes they sparked but that we forced and then capitalised upon the oppositions errors and hesitancy. How often it feels like it's the other way. How refreshing.

But we kept making it hard for ourselves, even passing up the opportunity to go 4-2 ahead through Long.  In fairness we did see those last 5-10 minutes out pretty well.  It was particularly amusing for that minute or so we were almost trolling Hearts by winning a throw in, taking possession and scudding off some random Jambo bodypart to win another throw in.  Then repeat. Then repeat again.

We also did particularly well to negotiate the full ninety with no red cards given Polworth and Donnelly were booked very early on.  It will largely be lost in the focus on the win but that Ikpeazu managed to get to the 89th minute and then only got booked for dissent is an absolute nonsense.  He must literally have been responsible for half of the fouls Hearts conceded.

I didn't quite know what we were going to get.  Yes, they've had their issues of form lately but they routinely dispatch us at Tynecastle and should have had the psychological edge having beaten us recently.  We can be very satisfied I think however the way we've gone there and been physically and mentally strong and shown no small amount of skill to get the win.

• Like 1

How many 'Well fans would have taken this record after playing 14 games?

Won 10, Lost 3 (Crusaders, Celtic & Hearts), Scored 38 goals (ok, so 7 were v Gretna), Conceded 11 (5 v Celtic), scored 4 per game on two occasions  and scored 3 per game on 6 occasions.

I'm not getting carried away, but particularly after yet another squad rebuild, the manager & players have given us something to enjoy and to look forward to more good days than bad.

• Like 2

My, my, how the fickle tide of fan opinion changes!  A few weeks ago, Seedorf and Hylton were being singled out as a pair of duds - without being given the time and opprtunity to settle into a new club and country's culture.

Admittedly its still early days but IMO they have shown they have the required skills and application to be successful for us.  They provide a really exciting dimension that is great to watch and the like of which hasn't been seen at FP for quite some time. Long may it continue.

• Like 3

A win at Tynecastle? I will take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday, thanks very much! I am more than old enough to remember the period in the eighties and early nineties when we couldn’t buy a win against Hearts. From the game at Tynecastle where a Willie Irvine goal and a Killie thumping of QoS cost them promotion from the old first division (1982?) until the mid nineties I can scarcely recall a good result against that mob. I think we did beat them at Fir Park in the season they lost the league on the final day at Dens, but beyond that, nothing.

As it stands, three more points towards safety, and nothing more. We seem to be having our good run ( virtually every team in the league will have one) early this season. Let’s make it last as long as possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El Grew said:

My, my, how the fickle tide of fan opinion changes!  A few weeks ago, Seedorf and Hylton were being singled out as a pair of duds - without being given the time and opprtunity to settle into a new club and country's culture.

I'm still waiting to hear the story behind Jake Carroll never going to play for us.

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just watched the highlights on YouTube, 5 or 6 would not have flattered us going by the good chances we missed, oh and what a hit by Seedorf.

Yep, we really looked head and shoulders the better team. Pity we won thought, we would have had half a dozen posts by Yodo after a heavy defeat.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

I like Long, however, he is missing his fair share of one on ones. 

To be honest, I can't remember when we last had a forward I'd back to score one on one. Moult, Higdon, Sutton, none of them ever really scored many from those positions.