2019'20 Game 7: St Johnstone (A)

Andy_P

Midfield to front, I wouldn't change it. Created chances against Ross County albeit we didn't take as many as we should have. Would very much like to see Semple on the bench. Signing of O'Hara has pushed him down the pecking order even if they're not totally similar in style. To me, not having seen enough of Sloth, Semple looks the best direct replacement for Polworth late in the game.  

At the back, sending Livingstone out on loan, Carroll being suspended and Dunne being injured means that everyone knows exactly what our back four will be. Positive in that we have all week to work on it. Negative in that Tommy Wright and St Johnstone have all week to work out how they try and take advantage of it. 

Don't think there will be much in the game. Gut tells me that we'll lose by the odd goal, another 2-1 probably...

A tough one to call.  St Johnstone haven't hade the best of starts to the season so far as they are without a league win.  That said, they've had a tough run of fixtures.  They're usually well organised, hard working, combative and streetwise and I doubt if that'll change tomorrow.  Their defence though has been a bit suspect especially when they open up.  Add to that  our recent record on the road at Perth is pretty poor.  

Tom Wright watched us in person last week and will be well aware our shortcomings.  Our squad is perhaps more suited to counter attacking, so you'd hope that our style is compatible with this fixture.  Right now our biggest weakness is in defence.  I'm not convinced of either of our likely full backs defensively and that'll place unnecessary and unwanted pressure on our central defence and goalie.  It also means that Donnelly and Campbell, if they play, will need to step up their game to counter a very abrasive and competitive Saints' midfield.  I'm not sure about Hartley now but we can rely on Gallagher and Gillespie.  Will Mugabi be thrown into this one?

I want us to play a classic away gameplan; sitting deep, restricting Saints to long range efforts from 40 yards out and making very few errors.  If either of our full backs is taking a roasting in the first 10 minutes (as has happened regularly at Perth) then I hope Robbo responds by making a quick change.  No high balls above chest height for the strikers.  If we can do all that we'll take at least a point from this game. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yassin said:

I meant why do you call him Tom instead of Tommy:lol:

Not having a go like, I've just literally never seen anyone else refer to him as that.

I used to work beside an Irish boyhood friend of his who now follows St Johnstone. He always referred to him as "Tom".  I just picked that up I suppose. 

• Like 1

————Gillespie

Grimshaw——Hartley——Gallagher—-Tait

————————-Donnelly 

Seedorf——-Campbell—-Polworth—-Scott

—————————Cole

keep it simple. No need for dramatic changes however we do tend to struggle in Perth.

2-1 well

32 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Would like to see Long back in, I can't think of Cole having a shot at goal let alone scoring yet. 

As mentioned earlier, No. 9 is a problem for sure. 

I think a mixture of Long and Cole would be a good player but individually, they both lack a lot. 

Cole works hard but isn't good in front of goal. 

Long has also missed some sitters, particularly against Hibs however I also have some significant doubts on his attitude. For me, he looks like he can't be arsed half of the time. 

47 minutes ago, Kmac said:

As mentioned earlier, No. 9 is a problem for sure. 

I think a mixture of Long and Cole would be a good player but individually, they both lack a lot. 

Cole works hard but isn't good in front of goal. 

Long has also missed some sitters, particularly against Hibs however I also have some significant doubts on his attitude. For me, he looks like he can't be arsed half of the time. 

Thought long was quality against Accies when given the start. Played very well against Hibs also but didn’t score and missed a few sitters. However felt he was unfairly dropped. 

He works hard in my opinion and holds it up decent but also better when being played through. 

7 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Team as expected. Ilic and O'Hara on the bench and no Semple is perplexing. Sloths invisible man act continues to impress...

I doubt this will be a game for Semple. St Johnstone are going to be in full bully mode today trying to kick us out of our rhythm.