2019'20 Game 7: St Johnstone (A)

Andy_P

Not at game but watched it on Alba. Thought St. Johnstone were lucky to get away with loads of fouls and the lack of cards handed out to them was ridiculous in comparison to our total. I thought Tait did not show up that well, a lot of the trouble seemed to come from that area. However 3 points very welcome at a venue where we gave played much better with nothing to show for it.

16 minutes ago, BAZ said:

Not at game but watched it on Alba. Thought St. Johnstone were lucky to get away with loads of fouls and the lack of cards handed out to them was ridiculous in comparison to our total. I thought Tait did not show up that well, a lot of the trouble seemed to come from that area. However 3 points very welcome at a venue where we gave played much better with nothing to show for it.

Tait has lost what little pace he had and the SJ winger was getting past him all too easily in the 2nd half 

4 hours ago, Kmac said:

The quality of refereeing was fucking woeful. One of the worst displays I’ve ever seen

Ref Gavin Duncan has been on the Premiership list for the last 3 years.......he has officiated in 10 matches this season .......today being his first Premiership game

last season he did 26 games ........only 5 in the premiership  ........season before  34 games and only 4 in the premiership

during this period it seems he could not be trusted to officiate in any Old Firm games.....or Hertz  and only  one hibs/sheep game 

yet the rest of the premiership seems to be fair game

I know they have to progress and gain experience etc etc .........Why should the rest of the league be subjected to these clowns and not the ugly sisters ??????

ps it's been a slow Saturday night :blush:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kmac said:

The quality of refereeing was fucking woeful. One of the worst displays I’ve ever seen

Thats now 2 weeks on the trot we've suffered from poor referees and potentially game changing decisions going against us. 

Not seen the Donnelly incident yet but he's not a dirty player. Suspect there was more to his red card than meets the eye. Usually these type of incidents are the culmination of ongoing "niggles" and weak refereeing.

Didnt see the donnelly incident myself as I was watching the ball. He seemed to be holding his hands up as if to say whatever he did was accidental. Strange one as the ref played on for a bit as if he hadn't seen it, then stopped play to give the red.

Silver lining it might give macguire the platform to prove his worth. I thought he looked good in his few appearances last season and in the league cup group stage.

2 hours ago, mfc88 said:

He seemed to be holding his hands up as if to say whatever he did was accidental. Strange one as the ref played on for a bit as if he hadn't seen it, then stopped play to give the red.

Just watched the highlights on MFC TV.  Not the best view of the incident it has to be said but the referee didn't see it, as he seemed to running/facing at right angles to play.  I'm not convinced it wasn't an accidental collision.  Maybe BBC highlights will show it more clearly. 

As for the penalty...an absolute joke of a decision as any contact would have been minimal. Murray Davidson can dish it out as we all know but he goes down very easily for such a physical player.  Its high time commentors called out simulation/play acting/conning for what it is.  Certainly scope for the Compliance Officer to cite him I'd say.

Not a penalty and not a  red card for Donnelly for me.  That was my view at the time  but the highlights back that up imo. Ref deg didnt see the sending off - was the lino who called it.

Thought the ref had a poor game throughout. I am usually up for letting the game flow and dont mind a tackle. But he should have had the yellow card out a lot more. Polworth was getting volleyed up and down the park and Davidson just seemed to be allowed to do what he wanted. Davidson shold have had a booking before he eventually got it for handbags with Polworth and then would have walked at that point...

That aside, happy with the win up there. Onwards.

39 minutes ago, superward said:

Thought the ref had a poor game throughout. I am usually up for letting the game flow and dont mind a tackle. But he should have had the yellow card out a lot more. Polworth was getting volleyed up and down the park and Davidson just seemed to be allowed to do what he wanted. Davidson shold have had a booking before he eventually got it for handbags with Polworth and then would have walked at that point...

Agreed.  It was interesting that in the first half, there was a hip high studs up challenge on Seedorf by Ralston and a similar challenge on Polworth, both not dissimilar to Carroll's 2nd yellow card last weekend.  For the first no foul was given and for the second a foul was awarded but no further action taken. Interesting too that just before Cole netted, that Davidson hauled Donnelly to the ground about 4 yards out. Had we not scored would the ref have awarded a penalty?

1 hour ago, superward said:

Not a penalty and not a  red card for Donnelly for me.  That was my view at the time  but the highlights back that up imo. Ref deg didnt see the sending off - was the lino who called it.

That aside, happy with the win up there. Onwards.

It's a 100% red card. Even Robinson isn't moaning about just claiming it was accidental as in he accidentally forearm smashed him then accidentally stamped on him.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's a 100% red card. Even Robinson isn't moaning about just claiming it was accidental as in he accidentally forearm smashed him then accidentally stamped on him.

Completely agree, he smashes the guy to the ground with his forearm and then proceeds to jump on him studs first in the back.

Anyone who thinks that isn't a red card is severely deluded.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great win at a notoriously tough place for us to get anything

Never going to be a great game against a Tommy Wright side

Think we looked to match them in  the ability to be "Streetwise" particularly second half

May & Davidson seemed to spend most of the afternoon in a horizontal position

Ridiculous decision to give a penalty for that "Challenge"

We've had some atrocious penalty decisions given against us over the last few seasons and that one was right up there. Truly awful. 

Have to agree with Steelboy and GazzyB on the red card, there's nothing accidental about it. Donnelly lost his cool, saw his chance to leave his mark and took it, twice. 

40 minutes ago, Pepper said:

Have to agree with Steelboy and GazzyB on the red card, there's nothing accidental about it. Donnelly lost his cool, saw his chance to leave his mark and took it, twice. 

Donnelly has always had that in his game, unfortunately. I thought he'd matured a bit this season, but that was stupid and pointless - and detrimental to the team.

37 minutes ago, Pepper said:

We've had some atrocious penalty decisions given against us over the last few seasons and that one was right up there. Truly awful. 

Probably why it is worth appealing. Lets face it if it was Morelos it would be rescinded midweek for sure. 

Did not manage to get to the game but 3 points in Perth is a big result. St Johnstone May b struggling but I think they actually have a decent squad. That and our woeful record meant when we scored I fully expected a FT scoreline of 2-1. Thanks Christ we managed to hold on for a valuable 3 away points. 

That penalty though. Softest I have seen for years. Of course Davidson version of Swan Lake probably made up the refs mind. Justice done and kudos to Gillespie. As good a keeper as Carson is / was he did not have a great record at saving penalties. With Gillespie it is probably 50/50. 

Lets hope we can kick on and win at home next week. St Mirren don’t concede a lot but score even less. If we can score 1st then I would be confident of 3 points. 

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Probably why it is worth appealing. Lets face it if it was Morelos it would be rescinded midweek for sure. 

Did not manage to get to the game but 3 points in Perth is a big result. St Johnstone May b struggling but I think they actually have a decent squad. That and our woeful record meant when we scored I fully expected a FT scoreline of 2-1. Thanks Christ we managed to hold on for a valuable 3 away points. 

That penalty though. Softest I have seen for years. Of course Davidson version of Swan Lake probably made up the refs mind. Justice done and kudos to Gillespie. As good a keeper as Carson is / was he did not have a great record at saving penalties. With Gillespie it is probably 50/50. 

Lets hope we can kick on and win at home next week. St Mirren don’t concede a lot but score even less. If we can score 1st then I would be confident of 3 points. 

I’d be interested to see what is penalty saves percentage really is.  Over to you now stats geeks and for extra kudos and recognition how does his record compare to the overall percentage? 

27 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’d be interested to see what is penalty saves percentage really is.  Over to you now stats geeks and for extra kudos and recognition how does his record compare to the overall percentage? 

According to transfermarkt, while playing for Motherwell in all competitions, Carson has faced ten penalties and saved none of them, while Gillespie has saved four out of eleven. That's a reasonably impressive 36%.

On a cautionary note, however, Craig Samson saved two out of five, a 40% success rate.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics...

• Thanks 1

For comparison, across their entire professional careers to date, Carson has saved 13 out of 48 (27%), while Gillespie has saved 11 out of 46 (24%). Samson saved 9 out of 35 (25%). Hard to get a fag paper between them on those stats alone.

Fraser Forster is often lauded by the fawning Scottish press as a master of the penalty save - to be fair, he's saved 13 out of 34 (38%).