2019'20 Game 7: St Johnstone (A)

Andy_P

59 minutes ago, Electric Blues said:

According to transfermarkt, while playing for Motherwell in all competitions, Carson has faced ten penalties and saved none of them, while Gillespie has saved four out of eleven. That's a reasonably impressive 36%.

On a cautionary note, however, Craig Samson saved two out of five, a 40% success rate.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics...

Carson saved about 3 in a shoot out with Stranraer, we still lost

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Donnelly has always had that in his game, unfortunately. I thought he'd matured a bit this season, but that was stupid and pointless - and detrimental to the team.

It helped wind down the clock and let us see the game out, so all good. 

Looks like a definite red from the spfl highlights.

Further observations from these highlights are that Stevie May is shite and chose to dive rather than take a tap in, Murray Davidson just dives and nothing else and there’s a reason he’s never left St. Johnstone. The penalty was a joke.

interesting that the highlights also show the high tackle on Seedorf. That could be a compliance officer thing, it was a terrible tackle and Seedorf should have made the most of it.

Wasnt a great performance yesterday. Lots of misplaced passes first half and everything was just a bit slow and predictible. 

Was good that we managed to get a goal and were able to tough it out, but we really need to be showing better quality than that if we have true top 6 aspirations.

I thought the referee was terribly incosistent across the piece. The entire St Johnstone midfield were guilty of repeated fouling, yet they got away with it whilst some of our indisgressions were immediately punished.

Davidson clearly dives for the penalty which is quite embarassing for both him and the referee. At least justice was done with a great save from Gillespie.

Re the red card. Its never a stamp as some on here are claiming. However, Donnelly does throw an elbow out and throw Kane to the ground so, although the ref has got it wrong, Donnelly cant have any complaints.

One area of concern for me is how much Richard Tait appears to have regressed this season. He looks half a yard slower and his form has dipped terribly. Hope its not a permanent decline.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Re the red card. Its never a stamp as some on here are claiming. However, Donnelly does throw an elbow out and throw Kane to the ground so, although the ref has got it wrong, Donnelly cant have any complaints.

I had to make do with watching BBC Alba yesterday.  As far as the Donnelly incident goes, I've watched it on several packages but still can't make my mind up about it, as its not clear.  Our players weren't at all happy at the ref and surely if it was clear cut decision they wouldn't have reacted in the way that they did.  The ref didn't see it and the nearest official was over 40 yards away. The tackle on Seedorf? Having seen it on the SPFL highlights package I agree with Fizoxy as its a matter for the Compliance Officer. High and deliberate its a straight red.  We'll see though.

A typical St Johnstone game where they outfought us, tried to nullify us, gained a nothing penalty, and we had a man sent off.  How predictable. This time though we ground out a result and won ugly. St Johnstone, had the bulk of the pressure,  probably deserved to win but lacked a killer touch up front. I thought our midfield were outfought (not surprisingly) and the two full backs struggled.  We gave Saints far too much room in and around our box and looked disorganised at times, but fortunately they just couldn't score.  Apart from a few efforts ie Cole's miss, we didn't really play an effective counterattacking game and were hustled, harried and knocked off our stride, as usual in Perth. Hartley and Tait look way off the pace.  

Plenty of positives though.  We did win ugly and gain the 3 points.  Thats good to know we can grind out results.  Gillespie had a great game, thank goodness, and Gallagher my MOTM, was a colossus (Casagolda's term on P & B).  He provided the assist for Cole.  He wins virtually everything in the air and is a real threat at set pieces.  Polworth too looked good.  

I'm always happy when we beat St Johnstone as they really are an annoying team just now.  I don't like their cynical play acting.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

They added 45 seconds to the 3mins of extra, so it didn't even do that.

Instead of an attack down the left with all the attackers and defenders running towards the goal we had a free kick played directly into the box, keeper collected it, game over.  The fee kick being awarded snuffed out the game.

21 minutes ago, ropy said:

Instead of an attack down the left with all the attackers and defenders running towards the goal we had a free kick played directly into the box, keeper collected it, game over.  The fee kick being awarded snuffed out the game.

I haven't seen the highlights so my memory might be wrong, but I thought the ref waited for advantage and pulled it back when there was none. 

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I haven't seen the highlights so my memory might be wrong, but I thought the ref waited for advantage and pulled it back when there was none. 

The ref didn’t actually see the incident, he was following the ball, presumably the lines woman shouted red card or something and he halted the play at that point.

Refereeing isn’t easy but having viewed highlights....how can the ref see that as a pen? There’s nothing in it.

Was going to say that if it had been given v old firm , there be an uproar , but then you see the two pens Celtic never got v Hibs ....Refs don’t do themselves any favours with some bizarre decisions.

I don’t think any of the above decisions/non decisions were particularly difficult

20 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

A typical St Johnstone game where they outfought us, tried to nullify us, gained a nothing penalty, and we had a man sent off.  How predictable. This time though we ground out a result and won ugly. St Johnstone, had the bulk of the pressure,  probably deserved to win but lacked a killer touch up front. I thought our midfield were outfought (not surprisingly) and the two full backs struggled.  We gave Saints far too much room in and around our box and looked disorganised at times, but fortunately they just couldn't score.

Your view that Ross County were deserved winners last weekend at Fir Park caught my eye Dave and with that in mind I'm a bit surprised to see you suggest St Johnstone should probably have won this week.  I think if you are of the belief that County were deserved victors last week I can't see that you can suggest Motherwell weren't worthy winners this week for like County the week before we were on the back foot a fair bit, defended when required, rode our luck and took the opportunity when it came our way.

For me there wasn't much in it.  Gillespie had the terrific penalty save, the excellent save at the end and they had an opportunity where Davidson flashed his header wide.  For us Cole inexplicably missed from a yard out, Gallagher's header flashed past the post and Cole of course atoned for his earlier miss.  Beyond that they might well have had more possession but it wasn't exactly backs to the wall stuff.

I suppose you have to consider the timeline of events. Had Cole put the sitter away and his second had it made 2-0 you wonder what kind of response St Johnstone would have mustered and how we might have approached the game differently. But if you're only a goal behind there is always a chance. Like when some clueless referee give you a penalty because you've went down in the box so many times that he supposes one of them must be a penalty for example....

The disappointing thing was that we never really threatened to add to our lead in the second half, especially as the match wore on.  Understandable perhaps that they would not want to over commit having lost the weekend before from a winning position.

Really happy to get the win at a place that isn't renowned for being a happy hunting ground and good to get immediately back on track after the loss last week.

It's funny to think that if the last 15 minutes against Ross County had gone differently then we could easily be sitting a couple of points off second and just three of top spot.

3 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Had Cole put the sitter away and his second had it made 2-0

You can't add them on...If he'd scored the sitter, then every single thing that came after it would have been different. The 2nd chance wouldn't even have happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking "Ace" Rimmer Red Dwarf style travelling through all the parallel dimensions.... to find one where he gets his 2-0 Cole first goalscorer coupon up.

Maybe I'll just be clearer that I'm speculating about an outcome next time.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andy_P said:

Your view that Ross County were deserved winners last weekend at Fir Park caught my eye Dave and with that in mind I'm a bit surprised to see you suggest St Johnstone should probably have won this week.  I think if you are of the belief that County were deserved victors last week I can't see that you can suggest Motherwell weren't worthy winners this week for like County the week before we were on the back foot a fair bit, defended when required, rode our luck and took the opportunity when it came our way.

It might seem odd Andy, but they were two slightly different games from our perpsective.  Against County we certainly did create several chances but so did they, and in fact they could have been 4 goals up by the 15 minute mark.  Our defending was patchy - good at times but very poor at times.  Against St Johnstone, we created few chances the goal and Cole's miss being notable but Saints created a fair few  and fortunately missed the lot.  Again our defending was poor at times.  We're still giving teams too much room and time in and around our box.  One similarity I would pick out though is that we've had rotten luck and poor refereeing in both games.  I look forward to the day when our luck changes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

It might seem odd Andy, but they were two slightly different games from our perpsective.  Against County we certainly did create several chances but so did they, and in fact they could have been 4 goals up by the 15 minute mark. 

17 hours ago, Al B said:

You can't add them on...If he'd scored the sitter, then every single thing that came after it would have been different. The 2nd chance wouldn't even have happened.

(I already posted this tomorrow).