'Well Internationalists

grizzlyg

8 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Steven Saunders ....and he played. 

Yeah, mentioned that one further back. He wasn’t even our 1st choice right back at the time.

That was a bit of a freak as he was with u-21s and they had late call offs for a friendly at Pittodrie IIRC.

No massive issue with Shankland call up, just find the lack of consistency bemusing. Remember as far back as the days of Paul Lambert (as well as Martin and Mckinnon) being overlooked, so it’s not a Steve Clarke thing.

Just think you’d really need to be pulling up trees at Motherwell to get noticed.

Declan Gallagher isn’t Colin Hendry or Alex Mcleish, but I think he’s on a par with Devlin, Souttar, Halkett probably even McKenna.

His performances do deserve a call up but do we really want him on the squad at the moment its filled with negativity.

If Clarle prefers Hanley, Devlin and Mulgrew then let him crack on.

For someone who travelled all over to watch Scotland I'm losing interest and no longer go to games even at home. I still wants us to win  obviously but lost the passion I once had.

Il be happy if he keeps the form he has had so far.

57 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Using the same argument, I can understand the feeling Gallagher deserves a shot, he has been very good this year in our league, but do we really think he is better than Hanley who has captained Norwich into the EPL or Cooper who captains Leeds in the Championship? There is no evidence for that.

There is.  As someone who watches Cooper regularly I can testify to how absolutely dug shite he is.  He played a big part in Leeds staying in the Championship last season.  Grant Hanley is a fraud of a footballer and genuinely one of the worst players I have ever seen pull on the dark blue.   As an aside, Hanley started 6 matches last season so it's a bit of stretch to say he captained them to promotion when Tettey did that rather stellar job.   Both have played International football and both have proven on more than one occasion that they are nowhere near good enough.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:58 PM, Burn_Broomfield said:

There is.  As someone who watches Cooper regularly I can testify to how absolutely dug shite he is.  He played a big part in Leeds staying in the Championship last season.  Grant Hanley is a fraud of a footballer and genuinely one of the worst players I have ever seen pull on the dark blue.   As an aside, Hanley started 6 matches last season so it's a bit of stretch to say he captained them to promotion when Tettey did that rather stellar job.   Both have played International football and both have proven on more than one occasion that they are nowhere near good enough.

Happy to accept your evaluation of Hanley and Cooper. However, both are at far bigger clubs playing in better leagues. Evidence that they arent good enough "at international level" isnt evidence that Gallagher is. 

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

I see Stuart Findlay from Killie (shock horror) has been called up. You can argue the toss about whether Gallagher is international quality, but I'd say he's been better than Findlay this season.

Agree with that, Clarke is taking the piss seems to be if you play for Kilmarnock you are in contention, he must have called up half of the Killie team by now, it's a feckin joke.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Killie have kept 6 clean sheets in their last 7 games.

Liverpool have conceded 7 goals in their last 4 games and Motherwell have conceded only 5 in their last 5.

So Andy Robertson out and Richard Tait in?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

I see Stuart Findlay from Killie (shock horror) has been called up. You can argue the toss about whether Gallagher is international quality, but I'd say he's been better than Findlay this season.

I agree that Gallagher's been better than Findlay so far, but there's probably not much in it. Even if Gallagher is a slightly better option, I don't really hold it against Clarke for picking somebody he knows well and has worked with before, and is younger with less baggage, particularly as neither of them are likely to be anything more than 4th or 5th choice centre backs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Gallacher carries some "baggage" that may cause unnecessary attention. For a player who's good enough for the squad as it stands but wouldn't make it if players were fit you can see why Clarke would leave him out and avoid any risk of having to field difficult questions.

Interesting point. Did not seem to be a concern for the All Black rugby team when they recently selected Sevu Reece for the Rugby World Cup. I wonder if the fact that they win most f the time is s a factor in such decisions?

Still surprised that we didnt face stiffer competition from clubs higher up the 'food chain' in bringing in Gallagher & Polworth.

Early days admittedly but when you see how well they have slotted into the team/system and their individual performances are now being singled out for praise in the national media - it makes you realise what good shrewd signings they have so far been.

When you compare them to teams with bigger budgets summer signings, in similar positions to Gallagher & Polworth, like

Ash Taylor

Adam Jackson

Glenn Whelan

Joe Newell

You cant help but question their recruitment policy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mfc88 said:

Allan Campbell for scotland. First name on our team sheet for me, and hard pushed to think of a midfielder in the league I'd have in my team ahead of him.

Great player for us. A congested area in the national team though with so many to choose from. Turnbull will even probably struggle. 

23 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Gallagher been called into the squad! Absolutely superb!! 

He is not international class apparently according to some on this forum.... It's well deserved he has been a standout so far this season, and a bit of recognition for how well Motherwell are doing defensively, think its 8 clean sheets in 12 games in all competitions now.

6 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

He is not international class apparently according to some on this forum.... It's well deserved he has been a standout so far this season, and a bit of recognition for how well Motherwell are doing defensively, think its 8 clean sheets in 12 games in all competitions now.

Better than Devlin.. findlay and definitely Hanley although he is injured.  

• Andy_P changed the title to 'Well Internationalists