'Well Internationalists

grizzlyg

I'm really pleased for Gallagher.

In all honesty I can't say I particularly noticed him for Livingston (admittedly I missed two of our games against them last season) so I don't know how much his form at Livi played a part, but from day one with Motherwell he has really looked the part.

To have the ability to be strong in the tackle and dominant in the air is a pre-requisite of a good centre-half, but its evident he brings a lot more to the team than those defensive attributes.

It's also really pleasing given the way he and his family seem to have embraced playing for the club. Things like his kid getting a Motherwell strip with his number and being photographed in the tunnel, his missus getting involved in the Ladies Day initiative and the simple but appreciated gesture of going to supporters at full time regardless of result.

Good on you Declan.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

In all honesty I can't say I particularly noticed him for Livingston (admittedly I missed two of our games against them last season) so I don't know how much his form at Livi played a part, but from day one with Motherwell he has really looked the part.

Much the same here. Last couple of times I saw us play Livi, they were very much following the "70 yard punts up the park every time we get the ball" tactics, so Gallagher really didn't have a chance to play his football. Although he was dangerous at set pieces.

So I was a bit surprised to see what a good footballer he was. He's in the same mould (although not quite as good as) Alan Hansen. A solid defender who is good with the ball at his feet and rarely wastes a pass. I'm imagine if it wasn't for his legal issues, his career might have taken a different trajectory and ended up playing at a higher level than us.

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

He is not international class apparently according to some on this forum.... It's well deserved he has been a standout so far this season, and a bit of recognition for how well Motherwell are doing defensively, think its 8 clean sheets in 12 games in all competitions now.

Let it go mate!

No one is more pleased for big Declan than me. Given all the call offs, his selection is absolutely justified. But at the time the question was asked there were a number of guys with a claim all playing at a higher level of football than him.

I hope he gets selected, plays a blinder, cements his place in the first team and scores the winning goal in the play offs. Of course, if that happens, he wont be a Motherwell player for very long, so lets just enjoy him being in the squad....

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

What are his chances of playing? I've not looked at the squad and even if I did I wouldn't know who's a centre half and who's not, is he in with a shout? 

It'll probably be Mulgrew and Cooper again.

After that it's him or Findlay and Clarke likes Findlay.

It's rare for late call-ups to get a game unless there really is an injury crisis. In a double header, if things are going well in the second game, they might get some minutes at the tail end, but the state we are in these days we're usually fighting for a result even at that stage.

Mulgrew is a stick on to start.

After that its one from Findlay, Devlin, Gallagher.

I would have thought Findlay would be favourite purely because Clarke knows what he can do and is more likely to trust him. However, if the other guys show up really well in training you never know.

More chance of game time in the San Marino game I would have thought, but you never know what could happen with injuries / bookings etc.

• Andy_P changed the title to 'Well Internationalists