'Well Internationalists

grizzlyg

After starting the Dicky Tait for Scotland thread 2 years ago...(down like a lead balloon).....what is everyone's thoughts about  big Declan Gallagher for Scotland?.   Been very impressed and his ability in the air superb. A no nonsense centre half and we are not exactly blessed with options.....Mulgrew....Hanley!!!!!.    I think he deserves at least a call up and show in training what he can do.....COYW

Doubt he will get the nod. Berra wont be close. 

Clarke will have Cooper, Hanley, Mulgrew in for sure. Hes also talked up Devlin before too so I expect him there to make 4 centre backs. Bates perhaps an outside chance given hes been in squads before. Souttar, McKenna and Halkett all out injured would be the first 3 picks I'd think. So either way, whatever he picks this international break I doubt will be what we will see next year in the playoff.

Personally I wouldnt let Hanley near a football and it dumbfounds me to this day he has made a living in the game.

I don't want any of our players to play for Scotland, because Scotland are utter dugmeat and when we're trying to improve the Motherwell side i'd prefer it if our players weren't semi-regularly put on a massive downer by getting pumped by 90% of the countries on earth.

• Haha 3

I think Gallagher has been excellent for us but I dont think he is at the level required for international football

That said, we are not exactly blessed with options at centre half for Scotland. I would say when fit McKenna and Souttar are probabably the best we have. After that its up for grabs. Mulgrew, Hanley, Bates et al have all shown vulnerabilities. I think Halkett maybe had a shot at the squad but he is now injured, so its not that fanciful an idea if Steve Clarke wants to try options ahead of the play offs.

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think Gallagher has been excellent for us but I dont think he is at the level required for international football

What is the level required for international duty especially in the Scotland context  as what's been on display as the best in the country in recent years is utter shite.  So why not Gallagher, he is playing well in a team thats currently 3rd in the country's top league, is that level not good enough ?

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

FFS, this arguement is bull shit.  What he's not even amateur or semi-professional level?  There are more Semi-Pro nations than Pro nations in international football.  

For the record none of our players are good enough to compete at the table of the top 20 European Nations.  

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

What is the level required for international duty especially in the Scotland context  as what's been on display as the best in the country in recent years is utter shite.  So why not Gallagher, he is playing well in a team thats currently 3rd in the country's top league, is that level not good enough ?

I think I answered that in the second half of my post.

1 hour ago, Wellfan1984 said:

FFS, this arguement is bull shit.  What he's not even amateur or semi-professional level?  There are more Semi-Pro nations than Pro nations in international football.  

For the record none of our players are good enough to compete at the table of the top 20 European Nations.  

Strong language given the 2nd half of my post actually qualifies the first half.

If I had said, "I dont think he is of a standard that would significantly improve Scotland at International level", would you still argue?

You can argue the point of whether you think Gallagher is good enough or not but arguing the use of language is a bit tiresome.

I don’t think he’s far behind (if at all?) Souttar, McKenna or Halkett. Charlie Mulgrew  is a utility player.

Scotland aren’t blessed with options at centre half.

I don’t think he’ll be picked though. With the exception of Steven Saunders cap, Scotland managers have only really looked to fir park when they’ve had to, don’t ever remember a manager taking a gamble on a player from us.

Gallagher is a vastly superior defender who is significantly ahead of Devlin, Findlay, McKenna, Hanley and Cooper ability wise,  who all seem to be called up with no complaint.  I genuinely wouldn't be against him and Halkett(injured now obviously) at the back after what I've witnessed the last few games.

Devlin is absolutely honking yet has been in the 4 of the 6? squads.  I'd be hoping to never see Cooper play another second for Scotland as he is fucking shite.  None of the above players are of the required "International Standard", but we have no one else which is why we are murder.

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I don’t think he’s far behind (if at all?) Souttar, McKenna or Halkett. Charlie Mulgrew  is a utility player.

Scotland aren’t blessed with options at centre half.

I don’t think he’ll be picked though. With the exception of Steven Saunders cap, Scotland managers have only really looked to fir park when they’ve had to, don’t ever remember a manager taking a gamble on a player from us.

This season there is no better Scottish defender in the SPFL -across all 4 positions.

1 hour ago, MrBeee said:

He has no chance of getting picked this is a manager that said Turnbull wasn't just ready yet for Scotland selection.

1 hour ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Lets face it if he played for Kilmarnock he WOUlD have been in a squad by now.

Every bit as good as Devin if not better in fact. 

We are just not fashionable or Clark does not like us. Example calls up Shankland but not Turnbull !!!

Yet has picked guys like Brophy...

Shankland is a surprise, he’s playing in a league that has part time teams. Big step up.

Has there ever been a surprise Motherwell inclusion in a Scotland squad?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

Yet has picked guys like Brophy...

Shankland is a surprise, he’s playing in a league that has part time teams. Big step up.

Has there ever been a surprise Motherwell inclusion in a Scotland squad?

Steven Saunders ....and he played. 

Turnbull was unlucky not to be picked in June before his op and the transfer debacle. However, unfortunately for him, he plays in a position that Scotland are currently well served. McTominay, Christie, McGregor, Armstrong, McGinn, Jack are all experienced players who have played for longer at a high level. 

Shankland (and to an extent Brophy) are different, in that they play in a position where we have very few options. Given that the next 4 games are effectively warm up games for the play off's we might as well have a look at him and see what he has got. 

Using the same argument, I can understand the feeling Gallagher deserves a shot, he has been very good this year in our league, but do we really think he is better than Hanley who has captained Norwich into the EPL or Cooper who captains Leeds in the Championship? There is no evidence for that.

Comparisons with McKenna, Soutar, Devlin, Halkett and Findlay are fair enough, but even that is subjective given we see far more of our player than the others. Stevie Clarke will undoubtedly have been the same which is why he picked some Kilmarnock players for his first squad but only the 2 who deserve to still be there on merit remain.

• Andy_P changed the title to 'Well Internationalists