2019'20 Game 8: St Mirren (H)

Andy_P

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Very frustrating that there's another international break right after this game, especially if we win and pick up momentum.

Gonna say 2-0 to us, Cole and Scott.

I’d like to see Scott start getting some goals on a regular basis. He’s got great control and   Looks very confident on the ball if he can start adding some goals he’ll be a terrific player for us. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C&A not the shop said:

Tougher game in store than I think many of us anticipate, they don't concede a lot of goals and  will sit in.

Who comes in for Donnelly? MacGuire probably.

Yes, it will be a far tougher game than many anticipate.  Saints will not be coming to Fir Park to entertain us they'll be coming for a draw and will sit in.  They have an excellent defensive record bettered only by the top 2.  Their big problem is at the other end where they're not scoring.  Hard to beat sums them up.  Its not looking like James Scott will be renewing acquaintances with Gary Mackenzie and he'll be very glad of that. 

Who'll replace Donnelly?  Maguire maybe but don't rule out O'Hara or Sloth.  I think physicality and height will be important here if we're expecting to lay siege to St Mirren's goal for a large part of the game. In that respect I'm glad we've got Declan Gallagher.   Hopefully we'll be able to win a large number of corners, to allow our set piece advantage to kick in.  

A close game in prospect and one for the purists I suspect.   

With Gallacher and Hartley we do carry a threat from set pieces, one that will be even more potent when Turnbull is back.

O'Hara is a good call for a replacement as well if hes up to speed now but that's a big maybe.

I had high hopes for Sloth but given his lack of action so far I'm thinking he's not as far along the recovery road as we had hoped.

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, it will be a far tougher game than many anticipate.  Saints will not be coming to Fir Park to entertain us they'll be coming for a draw and will sit in.  They have an excellent defensive record bettered only by the top 2.  Their big problem is at the other end where they're not scoring.  Hard to beat sums them up.  Its not looking like James Scott will be renewing acquaintances with Gary Mackenzie and he'll be very glad of that. 

Who'll replace Donnelly?  Maguire maybe but don't rule out O'Hara or Sloth.  I think physicality and height will be important here if we're expecting to lay siege to St Mirren's goal for a large part of the game. In that respect I'm glad we've got Declan Gallagher.   Hopefully we'll be able to win a large number of corners, to allow our set piece advantage to kick in.  

A close game in prospect and one for the purists I suspect.   

Probably the key is getting an early first goal. If we can do that then we may get a few more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The African said:

Has the feeling of a significant game for us. Win it and we could do something in the league this year. Lose, like Ross County game, and it looks like inconsistency will put thoughts of a top six finish to bed.

Thoughts of a top six to bed?  :huh:

A nervy 3 - 1 win after we go 2 - 0 up in the first half, let St Mirren back in it around the 63rd minute for 2 - 1, then dig in until the 87th minute when Hylton and Long combine for the 3rd after Campbell robs Magennis to set them up.

44 minutes ago, weeyin said:

A nervy 3 - 1 win after we go 2 - 0 up in the first half, let St Mirren back in it around the 63rd minute for 2 - 1, then dig in until the 87th minute when Hylton and Long combine for the 3rd after Campbell robs Magennis to set them up.

Any chance of the Euro millions numbers for tonight Mystic Weeyin 

I'm expecting a similar game to Ross County but hopefully we've learned some lessons from that. Goodwin's success at Alloa revolved around them being stuffy and hard to beat and it looks as though he's setting St. Mirren up in a similar way. I expect to see Tait at left back and probably O'Hara in midfield if he's considered fit enough. 

As others have said St Mirren have been pretty stuffy this season.

Only conceded more than 1 goal in 2 out of 7 league matches and one of them was late in injury time.

Rangers, who put 5 past Aberdeen and 6 past Hibs only managed 1 against St Mirren.

Might well be a tight and frustrating match today, maybe it's going to be down to one defensive mistake.