2019'20 Game 8: St Mirren (H)

Andy_P

First half performance was good.

St. Mirren had 9 or 10 players behind the ball most of the time but we manage to keep possession, spray some passes around and create a few chances.  Great finish from Scott and I thought we missed him when he went off early in the second half.

Second half you could see echoes of the Ross County match.  Started to look a bit nervous and weren't putting in the defensive work, either preventative or clearing our lines.  Too slack and allowed St. Mirren to come back into the match and at a 1-0 the game was still up in the air. 

Was glad to see Maguire fitted right in.  Like Scott I think he's got the potential to be an excellent player for us.

• Like 1

Thought we were excellent in the first half and with the Ross County game fresh in the mind, it's kind of understandable that a degree of nervousness crept in. Glad to see another team pull off our trick of missing a sitter and concede just after. 

Performance wise thought Campbell and Polworth were the stand outs and Maguire and Scott showed promise. Despite the sponsors' MOTM award, I thought Hartley was shaky, totally mistiming a few headers, although I know he cleared one off the line. 

Decent result and another three points towards safety. Anything else is always a bonus.. 

36 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Thought we were excellent in the first half and with the Ross County game fresh in the mind, it's kind of understandable that a degree of nervousness crept in. Glad to see another team pull off our trick of missing a sitter and concede just after. 

Performance wise thought Campbell and Polworth were the stand outs and Maguire and Scott showed promise. Despite the sponsors' MOTM award, I thought Hartley was shaky, totally mistiming a few headers, although I know he cleared one off the line. 

Decent result and another three points towards safety. Anything else is always a bonus.. 

Pretty much this...

Great performance 1st half and some excellent football. Polworth passing is just a joy to watch. Such a clever player. 

All the team (bar maybe Seedorf and definitely Cole who was very poor) played well. Hartley definitely had a few scares, but just got away with it. Tait got skinned a few times again. Fine against St Mirren but a bit of a worry for likes of Aberdeen, Rangers and Killie up next. Hopefully Carroll slots back in. 

You want to be positive after another win, but Cole was not great. Yes we keep reading how they will be inconsistent. Well for me Long has shown more and deserves his start in our next game. 

All in all a good way to sign off for the International break. 

• Like 1

1st half we were really gd and should have had more than 1. 2nd half we again had most of chances but they could have also equalised. league is so tight and most games will be won by team least nervous. polworth and campbell were outstanding and only downside was why robinson took off scott and seedorf when they both looked dangerous. cole done nothing of note and by taking off scott i felt could ruin confidence after what was obviously a great goal. I watched scott walk to dugout and robinson never even said anything to him. maybe im being harsh but a wee pat on back would have been deserved

9 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

1st half we were really gd and should have had more than 1. 2nd half we again had most of chances but they could have also equalised. league is so tight and most games will be won by team least nervous. polworth and campbell were outstanding and only downside was why robinson took off scott and seedorf when they both looked dangerous. cole done nothing of note and by taking off scott i felt could ruin confidence after what was obviously a great goal. I watched scott walk to dugout and robinson never even said anything to him. maybe im being harsh but a wee pat on back would have been deserved

Scott was injured

I’d echo much of what’s been said, we were a joy to watch for most of the first half before St Mirren picked up their game and put the pressure on.

Polworth and Campbell are just lovely to watch, hopefully their partnership can continue to prosper for some considerable time.  Completing the midfield, I was very impressed by Maguire. Yes he gave the ball away and failed to track his runner on occasion  but the way he carries himself and lets the ball move across his body suggests he could be a proper talent. 

Another positive was the goal for Long, I’m not sure why he lost his place to Cole but I think he oozes quality. Steven Naismith was very complimentary of him on the radio this week, suggesting Everton had high hopes for him. Plenty goals to come hopefully. 

16 points from 8 games. We are heading into the international break in great shape. 

Fantastic result. It is difficult not to get greedy but had the Ross County game gone differently the table would look sweet indeed.

What excites me most is that this is a team without David Turnbull. If he can come back with the same form as last season (big IF), there could be reason for some genuine optimism this season. 

Happy Saturday evening!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, star sail said:

Fantastic result. It is difficult not to get greedy but had the Ross County game gone differently the table would look sweet indeed.

What excites me most is that this is a team without David Turnbull. If he can come back with the same form as last season (big IF), there could be reason for some genuine optimism this season. 

I was thinking about a possible return for Turnbull and I can't say that I know who would make way for him in the current setup.  Not saying that he wouldn't or shouldn't get in, just not at all sure who would drop out.

13 minutes ago, star sail said:

Not suggesting Turnbull wouldn’t get a game but would it be for Polworth or alongside him without a Maguire or Donnelly?

25 minutes ago, ropy said:

Not suggesting Turnbull wouldn’t get a game but would it be for Polworth or alongside him without a Maguire or Donnelly?

Take the money for Turnbull and let Polworth light a big cigar with some £20 notes as he bosses the midfield.

When Turnbull comes back Campbell should do the holding role. He is perfect for it other than his height. 

I enjoyed that today. We played some great stuff in the first half and should probably have scored more. Scott's goal was class and he should be on the left to get him coming inside into his good foot. Maguire was excellent, loads of composure and he grew in confidence as the gave went on. The step over in the second half was class. Polworth was excellent  but faded faded a bit in the second half. Hartley was my MOTM the header to save a goal was brilliant and he looks like he is delighted to be back playing, being benched obviously hurt him.

The best thing just now is there is still loads of potential for improvement in this team. We should be confident about making a big statement against Aberdeen.

• Like 1

I thought first half we were brilliant, and was very impressed with MacGuire thought some of his touches and passes were excellent. Polworth was probably the best player on the park but id be tempted to give a MOTM to MacGuire as he really surprised me with how composed he was.

I can see why the manager starts Cole, he does offer more of a physical presence than Long and we needed that at times.

Don't want to just parrot what Robinson said but we did let the game get stretched and didn't take enough touches in the middle to let the defence squeeze the game, but that happens when you only have three in the middle,  doesn't help when you cant freshen up the midfield as you have to sub every front player every week. 

10 minutes ago, tintowellfan said:

Wow, I do hope DT is not following this!

The positive is that when Turnbull does go which is inevitable we are now well covered. big cheque in the bank with no replacement needed. Obviously Turnbull would be a loss to any team but we look like we can hold our own without him. Problem would be Robinson going and taking half the team with him.

47 minutes ago, MFCL84 said:

I was thinking about a possible return for Turnbull and I can't say that I know who would make way for him in the current setup.  Not saying that he wouldn't or shouldn't get in, just not at all sure who would drop out.

wont matter who but someone will have to! he will be back and him polworth and campbell would be amazing. I honestly think polworth could be our defensive mid as his passing and vision is outstanding. I know he isnt 6ft and wins headers but today his determination to chase down balls out wide went un noticed by most id imagine. He would run the game in that position with campbell doing same as ever with turnbulls goal and assists. Yes i am excited.

7 minutes ago, wellowell said:

DT will walk into this team when fit but imo if we bring Hylton in for Seddorf  and Long in for Cole we would improve any way, but in my head we are top of our league ,so no complaints as there is 2 leagues 1,with 2 teams and 1.with 10 as far as I’m concerned .

Really Hearts, Hibs, and Aberdeen are a level above the rest with their budgets. They are just making a mess with what’s available. Hearts must have a playing budget five times ours.