Motherwell FC Hall of Fame

SteelmaninOZ

It's always going to be a problem deciding which players enter first. I imagine the Ancell Babes and every player from both cup winning teams and the league winning team all deserve a place. And that's before you start picking through the greats that played in teams that never won anything (like Wullie P).

I think Pettigrew is a great inductee, though. He is a legend and still works at the club, so the perfect candidate for launching the idea as far as PR, promotions etc.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's always going to be a problem deciding which players enter first. I imagine the Ancell Babes and every player from both cup winning teams and the league winning team all deserve a place. And that's before you start picking through the greats that played in teams that never won anything (like Wullie P).

I think Pettigrew is a great inductee, though. He is a legend and still works at the club, so the perfect candidate for launching the idea as far as PR, promotions etc.

... and who doesn’t like Willie?  Could that be considered a probing question? 

If it’s going to be an annual thing I’d assume that the class each year will be tiered, i.e. it won’t necessarily be top five all time going in this year. Maybe it will be split into generations or the like. Also, since there’s a dinner attached to it there will be bias toward players who are still with us, as seeing them speak and accept the award will be a big selling point.

I agree that pettigrew is a good choice and a popular one.

I hope this is used as an opportunity to teach our support about the greats of the past (pre 1991) as we don’t tend to do a great job of that.

• Like 1

I would encourage every Well fan to get a copy and/or read John Swinburnes book, A History of Motherwell Football Club.

Its a great read and insight into not only the greats that have donned the claret and amber, but our clubs place in the history of Scottish and indeed World Football.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I would encourage every Well fan to get a copy and/or read John Swinburnes book, A History of Motherwell Football Club.

Its a great read and insight into not only the greats that have donned the claret and amber, but our clubs place in the history of Scottish and indeed World Football.

Great book - and the man was also a bit of a character himself.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

He certainly was. John travelled on the EK supporters' bus for many years. He and Bert Gibson had so many great stories to tell the younger fans of pre-60s Scottish football and our proud place in it.

We had a great supporters bus me and John and few others got on at the Westwood pick up. :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

I recommend ' Motherwell Champions of Scotland 1931-32' written by Alex Smith (published by Desert Island Books Limited in 2003) if you want to learn about true claret & amber legends.

One of the first to be considered for nomination has to be John Hunter (Manager 1911-1946, Secretary 1946-1959), in my opinion the most important man in the club's history.

IMG_1177.jpeg

• Like 2

Ohhhhhhhhhhh Willie Willie.   My first well hero and brings back memories of a true and funny story from about 1976/77 (When I was 4/5).  My mum and dad were going to Pinnochios in Hamilton for a meal and as they entered Willie P was leaving,  my Mum says 'excuse me Willie....any chance of an autograph for our son?'......Willie says 'of course'.  My dad also huge Well fan and said 'aye Willie....our Gary is a huge fan of yours and we both thought you had a great game today'.   As Willie P left my mum said to my dad......'did he not get sent off today?'.....my dad replied 'whoops....forgot that'.  I did get the autograph though and although I lost my dad 5 years ago that story always brings a smile to my face....COYW 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ropy said:

Wullie is in, so it’s Joe Wark, surely.

I'd vote for Joe, but these things are all age dependent.  Ian St. John had moved to Liverpool before I started going to games, but he is another good shout. And about half the fans who are younger than me will be thinking Tommy Coyne or Faddy, no doubt.

7 hours ago, weeyin said:

He probably will as, sooner or later, I expect the last cup winning team to be voted in as a bloc.

It would be folly to induct someone who would not see the event as an honour. I am afraid that Mr Boyd has made it clear that he does not hold this club with any level of regard. As such, to offer such an individual the privilege of a place in our Hall of Fame would simply demean the honour and impact badlyon the other, more deserving, recipients. Of course, Mr Boyd may do the honourable thing, and decline. Not holding my breath though.

• Like 1