Motherwell FC Hall of Fame

SteelmaninOZ

6 hours ago, The African said:

It would be folly to induct someone who would not see the event as an honour. I am afraid that Mr Boyd has made it clear that he does not hold this club with any level of regard. As such, to offer such an individual the privilege of a place in our Hall of Fame would simply demean the honour and impact badlyon the other, more deserving, recipients. Of course, Mr Boyd may do the honourable thing, and decline. Not holding my breath though.

I tend to take people as I find them and happened to meet Tom Boyd unexpectedly last week at a Former Players Club/Well Society fundraising sports night at the club. When the former players present were asked why they joined our FPs club when all had played for several clubs in their careers, he was first in to say that, in his case, Motherwell were his first senior club and the one that gave him his chance, and because of that we will always have a special place in his heart. To be fair, when talking to him he came across just as a straightforward cheerful guy who just says what he thinks without any guile. I haven't heard the comments that people get so angry about, but maybe it is that lack of guile (maybe complete naivety) that has seen him say things that it would have been more diplomatic not to say - maybe not, but that's just how he seemed on the night.

8 hours ago, WishyWell said:

I tend to take people as I find them and happened to meet Tom Boyd unexpectedly last week at a Former Players Club/Well Society fundraising sports night at the club. When the former players present were asked why they joined our FPs club when all had played for several clubs in their careers, he was first in to say that, in his case, Motherwell were his first senior club and the one that gave him his chance, and because of that we will always have a special place in his heart. To be fair, when talking to him he came across just as a straightforward cheerful guy who just says what he thinks without any guile. I haven't heard the comments that people get so angry about, but maybe it is that lack of guile (maybe complete naivety) that has seen him say things that it would have been more diplomatic not to say - maybe not, but that's just how he seemed on the night.

Boyd is an obnoxious  tosser, that's why he fits in so well  at Celtic, hall of fame, I don't think so, 

7 hours ago, underboyleheating said:

A club legend. I’m not sure if he travels much these days due to his health, however, it would be great to see him at any event honouring former players/managers. 

And also his old Liverpool team mate that he brought to the club - Bobby Graham.

Graham / Pettigrew is easily the best striking partnership I've had the pleasure to watch at Fir Park.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, weeyin said:

And also his old Liverpool team mate that he brought to the club - Bobby Graham.

Graham / Pettigrew is easily the best striking partnership I've had the pleasure to watch at Fir Park.

Absolutely.  Since the early 1960s thats certainly true.

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

Graham and Pettigrew should be inducted as a double act....

• Thanks 1

Re Tom Boyd. It would be easier to just induct the entire team as one entity and ignore him as an individual.

I would do that with all our trophy winning teams to ensure fairness.

If an individual within one of those teams deserves a nomination on their own merits then so be it. 

On 10/16/2019 at 2:53 PM, WishyWell said:

I also attended the Former Players night last Friday and heard Tom Boyd speak highly of the Club and the opportunity it gave him.  He captained the side that gave myself and many people on here one of our most memorable occasions and for that he and the entire team (softy too) will always be held in high regard.  He would get my vote along with the entire team. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:23 AM, weeyin said:

Great book - and the man was also a bit of a character himself.

Always liked John,  I remember at Motherwell College in about 2001 we had to research something local history related and a group of us chose MFC.  As part of our research we contacted the club and they arranged for us to go and have a chat with John Swinburne in his office. 

He had lots of stories to tell and you could tell he was a proper fan.  Sure he said he hadn't missed a Well away game since 1976.

The book is excellent also.

The Tom Boyd stuff is interesting, when he was voted Greatest Ever Captain his interview was pretty poor, referring to Motherwell as "yous" and "I won more than yous". I don't expect that our players support Motherwell and if he's a Celtic fan at heart then good luck to him, but players are probably the only people connected to the game where it's accepted to have a fondness for more than one club and if you've captained a club to their only success in many of their fans' memories then I'd think you'd be a bit more affectionate. Glad to read that he seems to be after all...

As for the vote, I went for Cammy Bell for that goal that day.... 

• 1 month later...

Tom Boyd is easily one of the 5 best players to wear a Motherwell shirt in the 40 odd years I've been going to games.

The Hall of Fame is about recognising great players that wore the shirt, not about scrutinising what club he supports or going over every line of interview he's ever done with a highlighter pen and a chip on your shoulder.

If only we'd had a few more Tom Boyd's since then. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...