Which club will take our Manager ?

Welldaft Mk1

Just read a couple of (probably spurious) articles stating that Millwall have joined Barnsley in being interested in Robinson. Probably putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5 but....

This was inevitable after his overall recorded in charge and more so this season. 3rd top on a bottom 6 budget is bound to make several suitors take note. Especially the longer it goes on. 

If he does go I would prefer it was down south and not to Hearts or Aberdeen and also that we have a sizeable compensation clause in his contract to protect us. 

Time will tell...

Robinson’s record is patchy IMO. Granted, the season has started well however we’ve also played, previously,  some of the worst and most brutal football I’ve ever seen in a Motherwell jersey under him. 

I’m not saying he’s a bad manager at all, just that the hype train shouldn’t be so huge and that I still wouldn’t be despondent if he were to leave. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Just read a couple of (probably spurious) articles stating that Millwall have joined Barnsley in being interested in Robinson. Probably putting 2+2 together and coming up with 5 but....

This was inevitable after his overall recorded in charge and more so this season. 3rd top on a bottom 6 budget is bound to make several suitors take note. Especially the longer it goes on. 

If he does go I would prefer it was down south and not to Hearts or Aberdeen and also that we have a sizeable compensation clause in his contract to protect us. 

Time will tell...

Will no doubt be a few more clubs looking at Robinson  as the season goes on

Can see him still being here for the rest of the season.

I think interest is inevitable, Hamilton and St Mirren only two of late that have lost their managers to clubs down south. If we finish top four he will be gone in the summer which I think would be a huge loss to the club.

49 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Two bottom six finishes isn't going to have English clubs lining up. Hearts or Hibs is more likely. 

It apparently has.......

A couple of posts above really does show how tough it is to be Manager of Motherwell 

Get to two cup finals - probably finish around or above budget in the league, but still in the eyes of many he is nothing special and has underperformed in many ways.  

As Sir Alex Ferguson proved it takes more than one or two season to build a successful team. Not many Managers get that luxury and now that Robbo has we are sitting in 3rd. Sure we will probably slide down the table but even we’re we to finish top 6 that would be a Big success.
Important games v Killie and Dons coming up that will give us a better picture of where we are at and expectations for the season ahead. 

• Thanks 1

There's a few different facets to it. 

Given that the club have only recently tied him down to 2022 it might not just be down to might want his services, but who are willing to pay what Motherwell would deem an appropriate amount of compensation for his release.

I also suspect that given he had his fingers burned somewhat at Oldham he's going to be a little more picky than a manager being offered a role in England for the first time.

21 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

There's a few different facets to it. 

Given that the club have only recently tied him down to 2022 it might not just be down to might want his services, but who are willing to pay what Motherwell would deem an appropriate amount of compensation for his release.

I also suspect that given he had his fingers burned somewhat at Oldham he's going to be a little more picky than a manager being offered a role in England for the first time.

Big increase in wages and higher profile would be a pull. Both Alex Neil and Ross got big clubs after doing less than Robinson has in my view. Don’t see compo been an issue for any decent sized club down south. Look at the hike in wages Neilson received moving from one of the biggest clubs in Scotland to the massive MK Dons.

I don't disagree with any of that Yorky, but I still believe based on his previous experience he won't just jump at the first offer that comes his way. He'll be more inclined to consider something that is as right as it possibly can be before moving on.

Managers stock can rise and fall so quickly.

Mark McGhee was touted for Celtic, Hearts and Scotland jobs while with us, look at him now.

McCall was attracting all sorts of interest at various points too.

I like Robinson, and bear in mind he’s relatively young, he’s still learning on the job. There’s no doubt he’s a better manager now than when he took over at fir park, or when it didn’t work for him at Oldham.

He sounds ambitious, but I agree, I don’t think he’d dive straight in to the wrong job at a basket case club. Which could describe basically any club from mid championship down.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Mark McGhee was touted for Celtic, Hearts and Scotland jobs while with us, look at him now.

To be fair, it was mostly McGhee that was touting McGhee for Celtic, Hearts and Scotland. Usually during Motherwell press conferences.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

McCall was attracting all sorts of interest at various points too.

I like Robinson, and bear in mind he’s relatively young, he’s still learning on the job. There’s no doubt he’s a better manager now than when he took over at fir park, or when it didn’t work for him at Oldham.

He sounds ambitious, but I agree, I don’t think he’d dive straight in to the wrong job at a basket case club. Which could describe basically any club from mid championship down.

Would he turn down say Sunderland ? that would be a hell of a call.

8 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Would he turn down say Sunderland ? that would be a hell of a call.

I don’t think you could turn down a club that size, provided you were given a good contract. 

Given how it’s ended with Jack Ross, there’s no way they’ll go for another SPFL manager though, so we should be safe from that one.

Since Ross joined Sunderland , Man City and LIverpool are the only teams in the English Leagues to have lost less games...... so perhaps unlucky from that statistic.  But Sunderland also drew a fair number, which cost them automatic promotion,  and they then lost a play off final. For them promotion was the only target . A slow start to this season sealed his fate. No real surprise, particularly as the fans were restless . 

Ross has links to Hearts so he can go there and be the next scapegoat for Levein.

Should Robinson leave Motherwell, I suspect he would be more likely to team up with Dempster at Hibs. A few more defeats should see that managerial position vacant.

I'm not so sure Dempster has much longer left at Hibs since the new owner took over.  With relatively poor results on the field I suspect there might be a "new broom" approach by the end of the season. Especially as one the reasons Dempster joined was to recreate the fan ownership model in some form - a model that has bitten the dust under the new regime.

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Since Ross joined Sunderland , Man City and LIverpool are the only teams in the English Leagues to have lost less games...... so perhaps unlucky from that statistic.  But Sunderland also drew a fair number, which cost them automatic promotion,  and they then lost a play off final. For them promotion was the only target . A slow start to this season sealed his fate. No real surprise, particularly as the fans were restless . 

Ross has links to Hearts so he can go there and be the next scapegoat for Levein.

Should Robinson leave Motherwell, I suspect he would be more likely to team up with Dempster at Hibs. A few more defeats should see that managerial position vacant.

The amount of draws they had was incredible. My bet 365 account is proof! 

16 hours ago, Kmac said:

Robinson’s record is patchy IMO. Granted, the season has started well however we’ve also played, previously,  some of the worst and most brutal football I’ve ever seen in a Motherwell jersey under him. 

I’m not saying he’s a bad manager at all, just that the hype train shouldn’t be so huge and that I still wouldn’t be despondent if he were to leave. 

I think you have to be very careful about what you wish for. I think the club would take a big hit if Robinson was to leave.

I don't think there is a hype train (what is a hype train?) and it certainly is not huge but some credit must be given for what has been an excellent start to the season. We must remember that Robinson has pulled us out of two tail spins (admittedly one that it could be argued was of his own doing). I have watched Motherwell spanning four decades and I can assure you there has been plenty of brutal Motherwell performances to  match the worst under Robinson. He now has the team playing well and the club is in a strong position. I really wonder sometimes what he is going to have to do to win some of the doubters over.

We are not going to do any better. Look at Hibs just now. Look at Hearts. Look at Aberdeen. Where are Dundee Utd? Motherwell are  doing really well, Robinson is doing really well and clubs and Chairman who don't have Steelboy's exacting standards will be noticing.

I hope he is still our manager when we play Aberdeen but in the meantime I am off to google hype train.

14 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Jack Ross had a decent record with Sunderland, only lost 2 domestic games this season or something like that. Mental that he's been sacked but that's the English game for you.

Jack Ross was a failure.  He literally used a middle of the road Championship budget and failed to get out of League 1.  

16 hours ago, superward said:

The amount of draws they had was incredible. My bet 365 account is proof! 

I’m sure I saw a stat a few weeks back that they’d drawn 17/46 games 1-1.

I think I’d bet them to win every one of those.

Ive been working down there, and also watched the documentary, so taken a bit of an interest in them, but they are an absolute car crash! Great support mind you, you don’t see many Liverpool or Man Utd tips walking about the streets there. Something I’m always quite envious of.

7 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

Jack Ross was a failure.  He literally used a middle of the road Championship budget and failed to get out of League 1.  

Of all the issues that have plagued that club during their consecutive relegation years, I think Jack Ross is fairly low on the list.

Just realized 2 things after looking on soccer database at our manager history..... 

1. I’m as old as dirt. I have seen teams play under every manager except the first 2. 
2. they don’t normally stay very long. 

After Bobby Howitt we have only had one manager that stayed more than 4 years. Wee Tommy who managed 10 years. The vast majority only managing 1 or 2.  Would be nice to have some stability.