Which club will take our Manager ?

Welldaft Mk1

£125k compensation for what is undoubtedly one of our most valuable assets. It's fuck all really isn't it?

I've never really understood why managerial changes don't involve the same finances as players. If anyone wants to shed some light, go for it. 

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Robinson is too young for the NI job, it’s something he’ll do later

My view too. Am I certain of that - no.

The quoted compensation figure of £125,000 - £135,000 does seem very low considering he's got 2 1/2 years of his contract to run.

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The quoted compensation figure of £125,000 - £135,000 does seem very low considering he's got 2 1/2 years of his contract to run.

It works out at about £50k a year which sounds in the right ballpark to me?

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

No evidence to support this but I would reckon he must be on something like £150k per year. I'm sure some previous managers were on over £100k per year.

I remember when McGhee went to Aberdeen it was mentioned that we were paying him £150k pa and Aberdeen's Manager Salary was £250k. That was a long time ago, but Id be very surprised if we werent still paying £150k or thereabouts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I imagine the buyout clause was part of his contract extension negotiations. A "quid pro quo" to use the popular term of the day.

So extending his contract until 2022, but allowing a buy out of 1 year's salary, seems like a decent compromise.

14 hours ago, Shaka said:

I remember when McGhee went to Aberdeen it was mentioned that we were paying him £150k pa and Aberdeen's Manager Salary was £250k. That was a long time ago, but Id be very surprised if we werent still paying £150k or thereabouts

No idea what Robinson gets paid but mcghee was an established manager and got a few pay rises to stay with us i believe. I doubt we paid Barraclough and now Robbo £150k although i could be very wrong. I expected him to be on much closer to a normal wage.

Wee Tommy was on about £100k - £120k per annum and that was almost 20 years ago.  I don't doubt there's a release clause in his contract but circa £130k compensation seems exceptionally low. I would have expected circa £300K. IF Robbo gets the NI job, and it is an if, then I would hope the club would act quickly to appoint a successor. I would not want him to be allowed to hang around. This is all speculation though. 

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't doubt there's a release clause in his contract but circa £130k compensation seems exceptionally low. I would have expected circa £300K.

That would basically require buying him out of his full remaining contract - which isn't really the point of that kind of clause. It's usually more of a bargaining tool to let the manager know they won't stand his in his way for serious suitors, while discouraging the chancers who want to poach him for free.

They were just interviewing Neil Lennon there and he said in quite an authoritative way that Robinson wouldn't be interested in the Northern Ireland job because he had 'club ambitions'. 

Then he corrected himself and said "maybe you are asking the wrong person" but the way he said it it was like he had maybe spoken to Robinson about it or knew something.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

No ambition  shown there by Hearts, sounds like a cheap option, he is not much better than levein

Every appointment carries risk. McCall did very well for us, but then made a bit of a mess at his subsequent jobs inc deadco thankfully for us anyway. 
Ross Jack seems a decent appointment for the Hibees and will surely do better than Heckingbottom. Of course one hopes he will lose his 1st game in charge. Will be more difficult for us unfortunately but will be a sign of where we really are headed this season. 

Hope I am wrong but all the signs point to Robbo getting the N Ireland gig. He will probably treble his salary at the very least so you could understand why he would take it if offered. 

I am a bit unsure about Lasley being automatically appointed but him and Maurice Ross might work. I personally would want a more experienced Manager to come in with Las as assistant for another year or two at least. Think it might be too soon for Lasley. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

No ambition  shown there by Hearts, sounds like a cheap option, he is not much better than levein

I remember that chant at Pittodrie the last day of the season:

"You're not much better than Levein. You're not much better than Levein!"

I wouldn't ever read anything into the "favourite" tag the media loves throwing around - it is completely meaningless. Hearts would not be doing their due diligence, however, if McCall had applied for that job and they didn't follow-up. There's no disputing he had sustained success with us and, even more importantly, his personality and style is the opposite of Levein - which is often what's needed when you need to rebuild morale.

I also suspect Hearts might struggle to attract some of the better candidates while the ghost of Levein is floating around the board room. Rank stupidity to not just pay him off and get him out the door.

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Disagree, I think he'd do very well at Hearts.

Would be a bit gutted to see McCall in the dugout against us, probably my favourite ever manager for us. The second half of this game was one of my favourite ever watching us...

McCall did so well with us because he was given the money to have players like Ojamaa, Higdon, Law, Hutchy, Hammell, Lasley, Randolph etc. He'll get that again at Hearts.

15 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Disagree, I think he'd do very well at Hearts.

Would be a bit gutted to see McCall in the dugout against us, probably my favourite ever manager for us. The second half of this game was one of my favourite ever watching us...

McCall did so well with us because he was given the money to have players like Ojamaa, Higdon, Law, Hutchy, Hammell, Lasley, Randolph etc. He'll get that again at Hearts.

For me, McCall's best performance...

Today's BBC gossip...

Hearts have held discussions with former West Bromwich Albion and Preston North End manager Alan Irvine about the vacancy at Tynecastle, while the Edinburgh club are likely to approach Motherwell next week for permission to talk to Stephen Robinson. (Daily Mail, print edition)

Hearts' managerial search will move to the next stage after they interviewed Jack Ross, who has since become Hibernian head coach, former Dundee boss Neil McCann, Stuart McCall, who last managed Scunthorpe United, and Steve Cotterill, who left Birmingham City in March 2018, and are now preparing approaches for targets already employed elsewhere. (Edinburgh Evening News)