Which club will take our Manager ?

Welldaft Mk1

Stoke City have been refused permission by Championship rivals Preston North End to talk to boss Alex Neil about their managerial vacancy.

The 38-year-old signed a new three-year deal in April to end speculation linking him with West Bromwich Albion.

Preston, currently fourth in the table, said in a statement they had reported Stoke to the English Football League for an alleged illegal approach.

The struggling Potters sacked Nathan Jones as manager on Friday.

North End added that "there are now no circumstances under which Stoke City would be given permission to speak to Alex Neil".

In a further statement on Saturday, Preston said Neil had "reiterated his commitment" to the club and his current contract.

BBC Sport understands there is a compensation clause in Neil's contract that would entitle Preston to more than £3m should the Scot eventually leave Deepdale.

I get that Robinson has aspirational career goals and by no means a Motherwell fixture for life and no doubt his contract would have release clauses. But 20x a difference in an equally ambitious manager shows that Preston were keen not to let Neil go on the cheap. What's the point in a 2.5 year extension when the compo to the club is effectively so paltry?

And before the state the obvious brigade step in, I am well aware in the difference between the English Championship and the SPFL. The post concerns the shoring up of what is a prize asset. Just have to telegraph this now on here.

1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I get that Robinson has aspirational career goals and by no means a Motherwell fixture for life and no doubt his contract would have release clauses. But 20x a difference in an equally ambitious manager shows that Preston were keen not to let Neil go on the cheap. What's the point in a 2.5 year extension when the compo to the club is effectively so paltry?

People are overthinking this. When someone's contract is running down and you want to keep them, you offer a new contract - otherwise they likely leave.

As a club, we tend not to stand in the way of people who want to leave - players or managers. (Most businesses are the same way, as it doesn't make sense to keep someone who is unhappy, and slavery has been illegal for quite some time).

The compensation thing is a bit of a red herring. If Robinson just walked out today, breaking his contract, there's not much we could do except sue him personally - and I'd be surprised if we would get a year's salary from a case like that as it's not like we paid him the money up front.

As far as Preston are concerned, if they get promoted and finish bottom of the EPL, they earn about £100 million then receive around another £42 million in parachute payments. Of course, if they stay in the EPL they earn a lot more.

So that £3 million payment is 2% of 1 season's minimum potential earnings should Alex Neil succeed. If we asked clubs to pay 2% of one season's of Motherwell's potential earnings should Robinson succeed, we'd probably get a lot less than we are asking now.

1 hour ago, santheman said:

They’re also looking to appoint a  Sports Director so hopefully the fact that he wouldn’t know who he was working under will be a big turn off for him.

There's an article in The Scotsman today suggesting McPhee might still be in a with a shout for the job and Budge is happy to take her time. While the ghost of Levein is still haunting the board room, it sounds like Budge is considering McPhee as an interim until the end of the season and once they finally get shot of Craigy-boy, they can recruit a new director and manager.

Of course, it's a journo article that may be well wide of the mark.

On 11/15/2019 at 4:35 PM, GazzyB said:

Disagree, I think he'd do very well at Hearts.

Would be a bit gutted to see McCall in the dugout against us, probably my favourite ever manager for us. The second half of this game was one of my favourite ever watching us...

McCall did so well with us because he was given the money to have players like Ojamaa, Higdon, Law, Hutchy, Hammell, Lasley, Randolph etc. He'll get that again at Hearts.

Good to see those highlights again but I get more annoyed than I should by petty mistakes like the commentator saying that was Faddy's first goal for us since his hat-trick against Livi in the last game of the 2002-03 season. I thought he scored a double against Thistle in August in the last game  before he left.

2 hours ago, The African said:

Spurs must have sacked their manager. Seemed to be doing a decent job, but modern football has no place for long term planning or loyalty.

Crazy decision, but then one or two on here wanted Robinson sacked not long ago, common sense sometimes goes out the window in sport,

I always took it as a word that was in the same context as us being called Sweaty Socks or the Welsh Taff's or the Irish Paddy's. I appreciate some people will see it as a derogatory term and some will embrace it. However until someone Motherwell minded of a Jewish/Israeli background advises the nuances then maybe best to not stick the hand out for the mock outrage bus to stop and hop on.

59 minutes ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

I always took it as a word that was in the same context as us being called Sweaty Socks or the Welsh Taff's or the Irish Paddy's. I appreciate some people will see it as a derogatory term and some will embrace it. However until someone Motherwell minded of a Jewish/Israeli background advises the nuances then maybe best to not stick the hand out for the mock outrage bus to stop and hop on.

The link I posted contains no mock outrage. Just an explanation of why many Jewish football fans find it offensive, and how the vast majority of people who toss it around are not Jewish.

Personally, I've never found a situation where I would need to use it, so it's no bother avoiding it and risk offending anyone.