Welldaft Mk1

Which club will take our Manager ?

For those that are wondering why O'Neill took the Stoke job:

O'Neill is expected to almost double his £750,000 Northern Ireland salary

If Robinson is taking over, that gives us plenty of time to find a replacement.

£125k compensation for what is undoubtedly one of our most valuable assets. It's fuck all really isn't it?

I've never really understood why managerial changes don't involve the same finances as players. If anyone wants to shed some light, go for it. 

24 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

How is that number arrived at? 

Do you mean where did I read it? It's the buyout clause kicking about in a few articles about his links to the NI job. 

1 minute ago, ropy said:

Robinson is too young for the NI job, it’s something he’ll do later

My view too. Am I certain of that - no.

The quoted compensation figure of £125,000 - £135,000 does seem very low considering he's got 2 1/2 years of his contract to run.

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

The quoted compensation figure of £125,000 - £135,000 does seem very low considering he's got 2 1/2 years of his contract to run.

It works out at about £50k a year which sounds in the right ballpark to me?

Just now, Yassin said:

It works out at about £50k a year which sounds in the right ballpark to me?

No evidence to support this but I would reckon he must be on something like £150k per year. I'm sure some previous managers were on over £100k per year.

7 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

No evidence to support this but I would reckon he must be on something like £150k per year. I'm sure some previous managers were on over £100k per year.

I remember when McGhee went to Aberdeen it was mentioned that we were paying him £150k pa and Aberdeen's Manager Salary was £250k. That was a long time ago, but Id be very surprised if we werent still paying £150k or thereabouts

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I imagine the buyout clause was part of his contract extension negotiations. A "quid pro quo" to use the popular term of the day.

So extending his contract until 2022, but allowing a buy out of 1 year's salary, seems like a decent compromise.

14 hours ago, Shaka said:

I remember when McGhee went to Aberdeen it was mentioned that we were paying him £150k pa and Aberdeen's Manager Salary was £250k. That was a long time ago, but Id be very surprised if we werent still paying £150k or thereabouts

No idea what Robinson gets paid but mcghee was an established manager and got a few pay rises to stay with us i believe. I doubt we paid Barraclough and now Robbo £150k although i could be very wrong. I expected him to be on much closer to a normal wage.

Wee Tommy was on about £100k - £120k per annum and that was almost 20 years ago.  I don't doubt there's a release clause in his contract but circa £130k compensation seems exceptionally low. I would have expected circa £300K. IF Robbo gets the NI job, and it is an if, then I would hope the club would act quickly to appoint a successor. I would not want him to be allowed to hang around. This is all speculation though. 

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't doubt there's a release clause in his contract but circa £130k compensation seems exceptionally low. I would have expected circa £300K.

That would basically require buying him out of his full remaining contract - which isn't really the point of that kind of clause. It's usually more of a bargaining tool to let the manager know they won't stand his in his way for serious suitors, while discouraging the chancers who want to poach him for free.

They were just interviewing Neil Lennon there and he said in quite an authoritative way that Robinson wouldn't be interested in the Northern Ireland job because he had 'club ambitions'. 

Then he corrected himself and said "maybe you are asking the wrong person" but the way he said it it was like he had maybe spoken to Robinson about it or knew something.