2019'20 Game 10: Rangers (A)

Andy_P

There is a whole generation  of well fans who have grown up and never seen a league win against this mob, the losing streak needs to end sometime, but I honestly cant see it happening  on Sunday.  

And if we perform  like we did last week  it could be a real pumping, but as ever I will believe we can turn up on the day and get a result.

These sort of games tend to be more about performance than results. We were awful last Saturday so need to see a reaction to that. Our squad are generally both honest and not without ability, so we can reasonably expect an improvement. As it is though, they have a much more expensive (and therefore more talented?) squad, so if they turn it on we could still be on the wrong end of a doing. They do not always turn up though, so we are not going without hope of picking up a point or three. Keep it tight and make smart decisions defensively and when we have the ball and who knows?  We certainly have the pace to be a threat on the break to anyone.

Pessimistic about this game due to our defensive frailties.  The central midfield seems incapable of shielding the defence and our two full backs, of late, are weak links in our armour. In short we defend too deep and narrow. The possible return of Donnelly and Carroll may help.   I'd love to be proved wrong. 

Anyone know the situation regarding Hartley? Will he be available? Asking as I'd be tempted to go 352 for this one.

I am aware that there will be rolling of the eyes on here at the very suggestion, but 352 as a formation isn't specifically a bad idea. With the midfield we have at the moment, we might be better at ball retention.

I know that 433 has been working in general but just feel that the extra security a back three might offer will be useful here. Carroll being available would mean that we would have a natural option at left wing back unlike when we were shoehorning Tait or Frear there. A front two of Long and Cole running the channels between the centre backs and full backs would hopefully exploit the space their full backs leave behind them, particularly Tavernier. 

I'd go with 

Gillespie 

Gallagher Hartley Mugabi 

Grimshaw Campbell Donnelly Polworth Carroll

Cole Long

I don't expect many to agree, and I don't think we'll go this way but given Aberdeen were set up perfectly to combat our 433, a plan B (and trying it in a game that we're probably not expected to do much) might not be a bad thing...

• Like 2

im with you melvin. the front 2 would also be told to match the runs of their full backs leaving their least dangerous players imo the 2 cbs with the ball. This formation would match them up in midfield and on wings and give us more security in middle of  defense. If we can hold it at 0 0 for a bit they will get frustrated and hopefully a breakaway in behind one of their fullbacks who is high up the pitch will produce a goal. im always optimistic lol. Hope they get pumped tonight and celtic win their game on sat which again puts more doubts in their minds .as others have said we have a terrible record against them other than when it really mattered of course ! Their not all our arse licking media make them out to be so heres hoping.

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Anyone know the situation regarding Hartley? Will he be available? Asking as I'd be tempted to go 352 for this one.

I am aware that there will be rolling of the eyes on here at the very suggestion, but 352 as a formation isn't specifically a bad idea. With the midfield we have at the moment, we might be better at ball retention.

I know that 433 has been working in general but just feel that the extra security a back three might offer will be useful here. Carroll being available would mean that we would have a natural option at left wing back unlike when we were shoehorning Tait or Frear there. A front two of Long and Cole running the channels between the centre backs and full backs would hopefully exploit the space their full backs leave behind them, particularly Tavernier. 

I'd go with 

Gillespie 

Gallagher Hartley Mugabi 

Cole Long

I don't expect many to agree, and I don't think we'll go this way but given Aberdeen were set up perfectly to combat our 433, a plan B (and trying it in a game that we're probably not expected to do much) might not be a bad thing...

Suspect you’re not far away with that.

A 3-5-2 formation has its merits.  The front two seem quite lightweight though as do our wingers.  We do need to toughen up as Aberdeen and Hearts have proved but that will need to be left until January. A back 3 might give Gillespie more protection although we don't want Rangers running riot down the flanks.  

4 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'd go with 

Gillespie 

Gallagher Hartley Mugabi 

Cole Long

I like this formation for this game.

We should be using last weeks results going into this game.

Firstly our performance just wasn't acceptable and everyone needs to find a different level of performance.  The fact that we are playing at Ibrox doesn't matter.  We need guys to stand up this week.

Secondly Hearts showed that Rangers aren't unstoppable and while I didn't see the whole game, only the highlights, surely we should be pouring over it to see what Hearts did to basically stop Rangers dead in their tracks. 

I also think Rangers result last week can be used against them this week.   Rangers will know dropping more points is a big no-no and is potentially nervy for Rangers.  If we make it difficult we can use 40,000 Rangers supporters in our favour.

Of course we need to keep it locked up to do that and for me we really need to look at the full back positions because the guys that played last week aren't good enough defensively.

Rangers looked dangerous tonight against Porto and probably should have won it. They are starting to eat away at Celtic’s league dominance by adding/buying some better quality players.  This is a far better side than we faced last season.
However, If we can contain their obvious attacking threat there is a slim chance that we could sneak a draw. Although, if we lose an early goal and it could get nasty.

Only got to see the 2nd half of them vs Porto tonight but apart from a nervy last few minutes they dominated and looked very comfortable. I've no idea how good Porto are these days but it did give me the fear for the weekend - but I'll go for a 1-1 and big Declan to have Defoe in his pocket. 

One of the few drawbacks since moving to a more expansive style of play in Jan has been  our naivety against the better teams. Hopefully we’ve learned a few lessons and go to Ibrox with a more robust approach. I’d sacrifice one of our front three for a runner in midfield.

Tynecastle aside, Rangers have been excellent from what I’ve seen recently and obviously have strength in depth, which unfortunately reduces the chances of a Porto hangover. I suspect we’ll be doing well to keep this respectable. 

Gerrard seems to have got something right against the european sides, they always show up fairly well and put in a good account of themselves. I don't think there efforts last night will work in our favour as someone mentioned they have ridiculous squad depth, Defoe, Ojo, Aribo and Arfield on the bench last night. As always, we need to try and keep it rangers 0 for as long as we can which will get there fans on edge particularly if Celtic pick up 3 points earlier in the day.

on the same note, I don't mind keeping it motherwell 0 for as long as possible, hate going 1-0 up at ibrox early on.

Ikpeazu and Lyndon dykes both absolutely bullied their centre halves.

Im not sure Devante Cole can match that physicality, but he’s probably the best option (unless we stick Hartley up front....)

I saw a fair chunk of their game and they seem better suited to counter attacking despite normally dominating games.

I’m afraid we have to park the bus, and hope to pick them off with a set piece or on the break and take it from their.

If we’re still in the game when they get their penalty we’ve got a chance.

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Ikpeazu and Lyndon dykes both absolutely bullied their centre halves.

Im not sure Devante Cole can match that physicality, but he’s probably the best option (unless we stick Hartley up front....)

No point in trying to use tactics that involve players we don't have (and from teams below us in the league).

We are at our best when we counter with pace, stretch the fullbacks and hit the bye-line for crosses. It needs to start from a solid defensive performance, though, and we have a track record of leaking goals in the first 10 minutes in this fixture and never catching up.

I suspect it will be more of the same this time, but one of these days they will surprise me.

• Andy_P locked this topic