2019'20 Game 10: Rangers (A)

Andy_P

5 hours ago, sbcmfc said:

I think this was it. May 1997

Thanks! I enjoyed that all over again. Makes me wonder where that 'Well team would have finished in the current Premiership: some really talented players up against a very strong Rangers team in that footage.

When you consider the respective positions of the teams in 1997, if we can get the tactics and attitude right there should surely be some hope for the present team.

We finished 8th that season. 8 points behind Dunfermline, won less than half the points that Rangers did and ended up on the same points as Hibs who went into the relegation playoff (thanks to a goal difference 6 worse than our -11 tally).

7 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Did that game delay their 9 in a row celebrations? 

I think it John Chapman who recounted a tale along the lines of one of the Rangers board apologising to him ahead of the game that they were having a party at full-time and so wouldn't be available  for the customary post-match pleasantries.  Motherwell of course won 2-0 and upon chancing upon the same individual after the game made a point of enquiring how the party was going...

21 minutes ago, Andy_P said:

I think it John Chapman who recounted a tale along the lines of one of the Rangers board apologising to him ahead of the game that they were having a party at full-time and so wouldn't be available  for the customary post-match pleasantries.  Motherwell of course won 2-0 and upon chancing upon the same individual after the game made a point of enquiring how the party was going...

LOL yes I remember hearing that same story 

Would be crazy to go there and think we can play with a 3 man midfield and 2 wide players given the amount of possession they’ll likely have.....

If all but DT are fit and available I’d go with Gillespie, Tait, Carroll, Gallagher & Harley, Campbell, Donnelly, Polworth & Grimshaw, Scott & Cole in a 4-5-1. Long, Seedorf and Hylton ready to add fresh legs if we are still in it when the game starts to get stretched.

Hate myself for saying it, but I would take an undamaging 2-0 with no injuries/suspensions and move on to the massive home double header with Killie & Livi. Regardless of what happens at Ibrox, if we can get 6 points from the 2 home games we stay right in about 3rd place. 

Defensively a lot will dpend on whether or not Jake Carroll is fit. If he is then I'd stick with Grimshaw at right back as he's much faster than Tait.  If not then Tait at left back again. Am I correct in thinking that Ilic is supposedly a left back?

I think he has played there, but that's not to say he should play there.

With the way Hartley went off last week you would think it was a concussion. The whole getting up on wobbly legs and going down again was what will have made the medical staff say he had to go off. In that case he should be out for 4 weeks. 

Wouldn't be against going to a back 3 and just trying to out fight them. It worked at fir park last year at the 3-3 game.

Then again we only have 2 fit central defenders. 

Robinson is in for some stick either way, if he plays our usual formation hes naive and should know that wouldn't work, of he changes it hes trying to be clever and we shouldn't change the way we play for one game. Unless we win obviously, then even some people on here cant give him stick for that (why didn't we play like that against Aberdeen excluded).

Think there has to be some realism and accept the fact that while not impossible taking anything from this is highly unlikely. Which is no reflection on the team  but simply acknowledging that the OF are currently as far ahead of the rest of the league as they have ever been. Each will likely finish the season a minimum 20+ points ahead of third place.

1 hour ago, Lan_Lad said:

Think there has to be some realism and accept the fact that while not impossible taking anything from this is highly unlikely. Which is no reflection on the team  but simply acknowledging that the OF are currently as far ahead of the rest of the league as they have ever been. Each will likely finish the season a minimum 20+ points ahead of third place.

Let's send them the three points by post 

Just hope Robinson doesn't use your post for his pre match talk .Yes the odds are stacked against us but  I want to see us go out and compete tomorrow get in their faces and make it difficult for them .What I don't want to see is us inviting them on to us because that will only end up in a doing ,not going to even guess the team Robinson will pick but after last Saturday he needs every one of them to perform 

8 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Just hope Robinson doesn't use your post for his pre match talk .Yes the odds are stacked against us but  I want to see us go out and compete tomorrow get in their faces and make it difficult for them .What I don't want to see is us inviting them on to us because that will only end up in a doing ,not going to even guess the team Robinson will pick but after last Saturday he needs every one of them to perform 

Presumably if I were the manager I too would try to approach it in a different manner but i'm not i'm just a fan being realistic and preparing for likely disappointment. Then if the disappointment does't materialise it's even more of a buzz. All i'm doing is agreeing with you and conceding that the odds are stacked against us in this one.

I doubt there will be any need to try very hard 'get in their faces'. They're going to be coming at us like a tsunami from the outset so in their faces we are going to be no matter what we do. And what exactly is it you suggest? Go at them?

That involves throwing bodies forward leaving large gaps for them to get into which is maybe not a good idea against a side who have scored 10 goals in their last 2 home league games. Even Celtic sat off them at Ibrox and in fact everybody does.

There is a valid reason everybody tries to shore up against them hoping for something on the break or a set piece.

We must be due our once in a decade league victory in there soon.  Challenging for the title, impressing in Europe they'll for a minute expect us to go in there and turn them over.  Especially after lulling them into a false sense of security last November...

I do worry that they will know the result from the Aberdeen / Celtic game prior to this match. If Celtic drop points Rangers will be determined to capitalise on that result by beating us. I would have preferred to have played them first.  They’ve been very strong and free scoring at Ibrox this season.  6-1 against Hibs, 5-0 against Aberdeen and 5-0 against Accies. Celtic showed how to play them, however, they have the players to really hurt them where it matters.  We also have players who can hurt them although they will need to be at the top of their game to do it.

39 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Just a reminder for my fellow well supporters in the USA that clocks changed back home so game will be an hour earlier than usual this week. Of course we change clocks next week unless your in Arizona. COYW!!!!

I'm in Oklahoma. With the clocks going back in UK the game will be an hour later than usual. 

• Like 1

• Andy_P locked this topic