2019'20 Game 10: Rangers (A)

Andy_P

Thought we had a really good chance to nick it when Cole played long through just before they scored, should have done better.

As expected we were under pressure and couldn’t get out for most of the game, but we defended pretty well. Bevis looked solid and Hartley is better in a three. I’m not sure why we argued about the penalty, but that seemed to be the only thing close to controversy in the game.

Thought cole played really well, and linked well with long at times. It will be interesting to see if today’s setup was a one off, as I’d like to se how we’d do with a front two.

18 minutes ago, steelboy said:

This is an attitude that says who cares if we never win a trophy or qualify for Europe again. 

Our second half performance has nothing to do with their budget. 

Everything is to do with budgets, bigger budget, better players. Put Lennon or Gerrard in charge of Motherwell and see if they finish top two. It’s not about attitude it’s about realism and the fact that less technically gifted players will struggle against superior players nine times out of ten. There is a very sensible reason why Motherwell have not won a league game at Rangers since year dot and it’s not down to every manager and set of Motherwell players letting themselves down. Qualifying for Europe won’t be about the results at Parkhead and Ibrox, it’s what we do in the other ones. 

• Like 2

The way I was feeling before the game I’ll take it and move on but it is very frustrating to be so close to taking something from the game and ending up with nothing. We have to focus and win next weeks game to get third spot. All in all we are in a much better place than recent years at the same time. last game of first round of fixtures and we are battling for third spot. In reality as good as we could realistically expect. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

The way I was feeling before the game I’ll take it and move on but it is very frustrating to be so close to taking something from the game and ending up with nothing. We have to focus and win next weeks game to get third spot. All in all we are in a much better place than recent years at the same time. last game of first round of fixtures and we are battling for third spot. In reality as good as we could realistically expect. 

Pretty much how I feel. Why have a very difficult game on Wednesday against a team getting better and better, lose that and it’s three defeats in a row going into the Livi game who won’t make it easy and the pressure will no doubt be back on Robinson. However at this point just about every Motherwell fan would have taken where we are in the league just now. 

13 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Everything is to do with budgets, bigger budget, better players. Put Lennon or Gerrard in charge of Motherwell and see if they finish top two. It’s not about attitude it’s about realism and the fact that less technically gifted players will struggle against superior players nine times out of ten. There is a very sensible reason why Motherwell have not won a league game at Rangers since year dot and it’s not down to every manager and set of Motherwell players letting themselves down. Qualifying for Europe won’t be about the results at Parkhead and Ibrox, it’s what we do in the other ones. 

So what's the reason that St Johnstone and Kilmarnock have won and we haven't? Rangers budget didn't go up at halftime and we were doing ok first half.

Qualifying for Europe or winning a cup will involve players not going into hiding every time the going gets tough and a manager who can change the game effectively. 

Just now, steelboy said:

So what's the reason that St Johnstone and Kilmarnock have won and we haven't? Rangers budget didn't go up at halftime and we were doing ok first half.

Qualifying for Europe or winning a cup will involve players not going into hiding every time the going gets tough and a manager who can change the game effectively. 

You can quote individual games and clubs all you like but the plain fact still remains that money talks. Why are St Johnstone down the bottom this season ? Is their manager suddenly useless or does it have anything to do with the playing budget again being cut ? It’s not about players going in to hiding. Better players will find a way to win, that’s just football in general and you see it every week. Liverpool losing today, I bet they come back in to it. A manager with a multi million pound group of players sitting on a bench is is in a far better position to change a game than a manager with a bench full of youngsters. But come on, you know all this already.

18 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

This is the reality and it's exactly why the OF hammer teams in Scotland while being thrashed 7-0 by the likes of Barcelona in Europe.  Nothing to do with Barcelona's budget? Celtic have the wrong attitude? Brendan Rogers forgot to tell his side all you need to is get in their faces?

At the start of this game they had tens of millions worth of talent sitting on the bench far less on the pitch.  Coming away from there with a narrow loss is an achievement given the hidings they have been dishing out at home. And as you say, we're not in competition with them. Only Celtic are. 

Good first half the team did everything you would hope for against one of the ugly sisters .Second half not surprisingly we ran out of steam but still Long had a good chance only criticism of the second half performance was that we couldn't pass the ball to each other giving it away cheaply .Poor marking for the winning goal and nobody on the post was criminal ,Wednesday night hope we get back to winning ways good performance or not . Hate the budget talk but if it is down to money then we should finish in the bottom two 

1 minute ago, Yodo said:

Good first half the team did everything you would hope for against one of the ugly sisters .Second half not surprisingly we ran out of steam but still Long had a good chance only criticism of the second half performance was that we couldn't pass the ball to each other giving it away cheaply .Poor marking for the winning goal and nobody on the post was criminal ,Wednesday night hope we get back to winning ways good performance or not . Hate the budget talk but if it is down to money then we should finish in the bottom two 

Money isn't such a big factor for the rest of the league outside those two. Do you realise that outside those two everybody else is predominately operating in a freebie market? Know what that gets you? In general league one or two freebies at best and this is why the rest of the league outside the OF aren't all that far apart and can regularly take points from each other. 

Celtic spent £15 million in the window Rangers £13.5 million while outside those two only two other teams in the league spent anything at all and they spent 480K between them. Any one of the two can spend more in a single window than the rest of the league combined will in decades. And that makes a massive difference.

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Comparing a team with Brandon Barker to Barcelona.....

Yes indeed. You're getting the picture now and you didn't even know you were doing it.  Comparing a team with £20 million rated Alfredo Morelos to bring in off the bench with Motherwell who have freebie Chris Long. That's realism.

Wouldn't be averse to the same starting XI in the same formation against Kilmarnock. Long is frustrating but he's very quick and I think he'll come good. Cole's getting better as time goes on and if he isn't fit enough to start on Wednesday night then go with Scott instead.

16 minutes ago, Lan_Lad said:

Yes indeed. You're getting the picture now and you didn't even know you were doing it.  Comparing a team with £20 million rated Alfredo Morelos to bring in off the bench with Motherwell who have freebie Chris Long. That's realism.

I am not having all this" great performance  no shame in losing to a big team like rangers "pish. We were in a winning  position and blew it, losing a goal in 1st half stoppage time is criminal,  and why do we struggle to defend set pieces, we constantly seem to struggle to hold on to games we should be taking something  from.

Over the years we have beaten  Celtic and every other team in the league on numerous  occasions, but e very game against that mob we shite it.

I thought when we pumped them in the playoff game, ( a pish rangers team I know) we had finally proved to ourselves we could go and beat them home or away, but no,it's back to the same old pish, its getting ridiculous  now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I watched the game in a Rangers supporter's home and we were both surprised: him with how ineffective they were and me with how we stuck in there and frustrated them. I thought we would absolutely wilt in the second half, but the lads dug deep and hung on fairly well.

There should never be a close game the way the OF have been able to get better players, so third is as far as we can really go, but this team seem to have more backbone so I think they might just do it.

41 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I am not having all this" great performance  no shame in losing to a big team like rangers "pish. We were in a winning  position and blew it, losing a goal in 1st half stoppage time is criminal,  and why do we struggle to defend set pieces, we constantly seem to struggle to hold on to games we should be taking something  from.

Over the years we have beaten  Celtic and every other team in the league on numerous  occasions, but e very game against that mob we shite it.

I thought when we pumped them in the playoff game, ( a pish rangers team I know) we had finally proved to ourselves we could go and beat them home or away, but no,it's back to the same old pish, its getting ridiculous  now 

Couldn't have put it better myself and when did ever getting beat become an achievement ? 

That's a fair summary.

The first half was excellent and it was so frustrating not to get in ahead. You are left wondering what the mentality and strategies of both teams would have been had we gone in ahead. But Rangers scoring saw a big momentum switch.

I thought we looked much less structured at the start of the second half. It felt inevitable they would score. We were giving them cheap possession again and again. But, showing how much I know, I felt they scored when we had began to look as comfortable as we had been all half. And we had started creating and getting up the park a bit more.

Frustrating not to get anything but a creditible display in comparison to some sides at Ibrox this season. Encouragement to be found in the different style and formation that we adapted to. For a while there we seemed to be set on one style with no genuine alternative. Handy to have that up our sleeves for when the occasion warrants.

The challenge, as ever, is to try to reach a similar level of performance on a stinking day in front of 4000 as they did in a full house of 50,000.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Can't disagree with your view Alan.  We blew it pure and simple.  Our defence and midfield simply aren't good enough to try to see games out by defending deeply. 

We're shipping very avoidable goals in every game just now, and from the highlights our old defensive frailties were very much in evidence. Sitting too deep and defending very narrowly. We reaped what we sowed and can have no complaints at the result, if not the officiating.  Many of us, including me, feared a real skelping  and that didn't happen fortunately.

Yet another penalty conceded!!

Dissapointed with the whining on here! I for one and am sure plenty others at the game thought we done ok today but i am hugely frustrated as we definitely deserved at least a point. I also cant believe no one mentioning foul on donnelly for their 1st goal. yes it was a coming together but donnelly was in front going for ball when collision happened so its a definite foul and if we went in at ht in lead the game might have been different. I was not overly concerned with them eatching today as whilst davis had a lot of ball 2nd half i cant remember gillespie having many saves to make. it was a tight game and typical spfl that could have went either way. we can challenge for euro places no doubt.Also young team brilliant again today.Well done lads!

4 hours ago, steelboy said:

I see. So when we're next looking for a manager you'll be hoping we land John Hughes, Danny Lennon, Jim McIntyre or Kenny Shiels. Got it. 

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Yes it's all total pish isn't. The only reason no one but them or their other half have won the league in more than 3 decades is simply because everybody else is shiting it. Forget budgets, means absolutely nothing in Scotland apparently but strangely is the key deciding factor everywhere else in the world.

You need to get your superior footballing knowledge out there. I want to see a team operating on freebies winning the Champions League. 

• Andy_P locked this topic