2019'20 Game 11: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

I have the fear about this. Without wanting to play "Kilmarnock cliché bingo" they're exactly the sort of disciplined outfit that have caused us problems. Can see us losing an early goal and Killie holding us at an arm's length pretty comfortably.

If we do score first though and Killie have to go for it it could end up being a pretty entertaining game between the two best provincial sides in the country.

0-2 

2 hours ago, Yassin said:

I have the fear about this. Without wanting to play "Kilmarnock cliché bingo" they're exactly the sort of disciplined outfit that have caused us problems. Can see us losing an early goal and Killie holding us at an arm's length pretty comfortably.

Thats my fear too.  They'll sit in and wait for us to make the predictable howler or two and just pick us off, as we're toothless up front in this type of game.  I'm praying for a bit of inconsistency here and hope that we break our top 6 duck.  This game and Saturday's against Livingston will give us a good barometer of how we're doing. I'm not looking for great football in this one as long as we don't make silly and avoidable errors and no conceding penalties or late goals.  A bit of simple reliability and solidity would help our cause immeasurably.

10 hours ago, weeyin said:

I hear Parks of Hamilton have already delivered Kilmarnock's luxury coach, ready for parking.

We don't really park the bus, we do however play a lot of possession football.

We were something like 65% possession on Saturday against St Mirren, think against Livi was 60% which is pretty much how we play.

Same away from home, we had 48% possession at Tynecastle, whilst free flowing Motherwell had 41%  at the same venue.  We had 51% possession at Perth and you guys had 46% (both winning 1-0)

I think the press overplay how we defend, it's certainly not 10 men behind the ball that's for sure but we give very little away (8 clean sheets in past 10 games)

Will be an interesting game.

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

When we played St Mirren at home, we had 19 shots.

Killie had 5 shots.

Maybe start working on your accuracy then!

You had 12 shots against Aberdeen and still got scudded 3-0. .  We had 17 shots against Accies and still lost 2-0!

My point is we don't park the bus, we're incredibly hard to play against but most of that is with us in possession.

18 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Carson and Scott to come into the starting XI.

Good luck to Robinson picking two out of the three centre halves to play if we revert to 4-3-3.

It's a no brainer to stick with Hartley and Gallagher. They were going well until Hartley got hurt against Aberdeen so there's no reason to change until we park the bus again at Celtic Park. 

I'd like to see us start Hylton, Cole and Scott up front. That looks our most dangerous combination. 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

It's a no brainer to stick with Hartley and Gallagher. They were going well until Hartley got hurt against Aberdeen so there's no reason to change until we park the bus again at Celtic Park. 

I'd like to see us start Hylton, Cole and Scott up front. That looks our most dangerous combination. 

I would agree on both defense and attack 

On 10/27/2019 at 6:30 PM, Yassin said:

If we do score first though and Killie have to go for it it could end up being a pretty entertaining game between the two best provincial sides in the country.

0-2 

Dare say they’ve come on a bit but they got put out of Europe by a part time Welsh outfit, arguably the worst Scottish European result ever,  so we shouldn’t be fearful.

Just a heads up - traffic tonight will likely be chaotic. There are still roadworks across from the Electric bar and as a result Airbles Road is solid every night until after 6pm coming up from the traffic lights at Strathclyde Park. Also roadworks still at the Civic

• Like 1

Only Celtic have beaten Kilmarnock in the last  8 league matches and excluding the Celtic match, they have only conceded once in that time and that was an OG.

We've lost 3 out of 5 home matches so I think we really need to grind something out of this one but looking at it form wise we haven't been able to beat the top 6 teams that we've played - Rangers, Celtic, Ross County, Aberdeen...

Although we have been sitting in a higher league position I think that right now we are still struggling a little bit to move out of that 'middle rank'  where we usually beat the lower level teams but can't quite match the better teams.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

St Mirren hadn't lost a league game by more than one goal until they played us and we managed to put that record to bed. I don't expect it will be pretty this evening, but if ever there was a game we need to score early, it's this one.

Although we have given up a 1 goal lead on 3 occasions this season already, admittedly two of those against the old firm. Maybe we will have learned how not to give up a 1 goal advantage. 3-1 for the good guys.