2019'20 Game 11: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

It was half a good performance tonight, that half being the half we were on the ball.  Keep possession quite well, pinged it about, always looking for a pass.  Maybe didn't create a huge amount of chances but I always felt we had a goal in us, especially with Kilmarnock sitting really deep at times in the 2nd half, for me you just can't do that and not concede.

The other half wasn't quite so good.  Looked defensively frail, especially Grimshaw, and when Kilmarnock had the ball they didn't really look like they had one man less for most of the game.

Took a great save from Gillespie in the last few minutes to secure the points and I thought Brophy caused us a lot of problems, if he'd started over Jackson I don't think that would have been to our benefit.

Overall though I thought it was a good game and a good performance albeit with a touch of good fortune about it, our first goal looked to me like it should have been a routine save from the keeper and our game management in the closing stages of matches needs some work.

Good to see Cole getting some goals now.

Jeez we made hard work of it but that is the rollercoaster life of being a Well fan. 2nd half we dominated but can never find the killer goal to give us more of a cushion. Killie still caused us problems and even our fans weren't helping (what was that all about not giving the match ball back....jeez!!). Anyhoo 3pts the main thing and roll on Saturday but it will  e another tough game...COYW

10 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Meanwhile at the other end I’m still not sure how Campbell missed and then our 3 v 1 effort was dreadful.  But as mentioned we got what we needed and many a time we have came away with nothing when we deserved better so bring on Livi.  COYW 

To be fair to Allan it was a  brilliant block by the killie defender

Hard game to summarise. Wasn't much on it before we scored, and for about 5 or 10 minutes after it we seemed to haring about trying to get a  second goal before they could reorganise properly. Their goal really seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and we continued to make bad decisions. From their goal til half time, they were the better team. By far..

Half time team talk seemed to work as we seemed to move the ball a bit quicker in the second half switching from side to side. You know, the stuff you're supposed to do against ten men. When we scored, it felt as if the goal was coming. The cross from Carroll was something else. The longer we went without getting the third goal, the more nervous we got and it seemed like Killie sensed that as well. Defensively we looked pretty shaky. 

For me, best performers were Long, Donnelly and Carroll. Campbell was Campbell. Hylton looked like a man with something to prove tonight, and had some good moments but also some bad ones. Polworth having a bit of a dip in form is a concern but still winning while you have key players not quite performing is encouraging...

It has surprised me every time I hear we have scored the most goals outside of the OF this season. Mainly because it often feels like we don't take enough of our chances.

Delighted to get 3 points from a very tricky game. Killie proved, as we all expected, to be extremely well drilled at the back and didn't give up too many opportunities. And with only a single goal cushion, they kept us on our toes with some dangerous counters.

Robinson must be shaking his head at some of the game management though. At times we were playing like it was 5-a-side at Ravenscraig.