2019'20 Game 11: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

Strange game where we had so much possession but went nowhere with it. We moved the ball from side to side quite correctly against ten men but again we lack cutting edge up front, oh for a natural goalscorer. I’m another that finds it hard to believe that we are the third highest scorers in the league but the facts don’t lie. Another soft goal in my view sadly and we continue to show frailties at the back, you just never feel secure at a Motherwell game. Killy look a good team to me, very well drilled unit and I would not be surprised to see them finish third in truth. No real stand out performers for me with Long probably nudging it for the amount of work he put in, he still has a lot of improving to do though. Overall not a bad game to be fair.

29 minutes ago, Yorkyred said:

Strange game where we had so much possession but went nowhere with it. We moved the ball from side to side quite correctly against ten men but again we lack cutting edge up front, oh for a natural goalscorer. I’m another that finds it hard to believe that we are the third highest scorers in the league but the facts don’t lie. Another soft goal in my view sadly and we continue to show frailties at the back, you just never feel secure at a Motherwell game. Killy look a good team to me, very well drilled unit and I would not be surprised to see them finish third in truth. No real stand out performers for me with Long probably nudging it for the amount of work he put in, he still has a lot of improving to do though. Overall not a bad game to be fair.

They're a difficult team to beat and outside this defeat and 2 defeats to the OF they have lost only one other league game and that was back at the beginning of the season away to Hamilton when their new manager hadn't yet figured out how to deploy them. They finished 3rd last season and appear capable of top 4  or thereabouts again.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

He didn't lay a glove on the equalizer as far as I could see. (Poor defending from Carroll and Hartley though).

Thats right enough to be fair. The radio made it out he had a bit of a horror show with it, and I ws speaking to a mate last night who was there and said Gillespie shouldve done a lot better at their goal, but looking at it, it was more poor defending than anything

Still on pills for me noives after that one and I was ready for the customary last-minute equaliser on the break after one of our moves broke down. Strangely, Hartley and Gallagher won everything in the air yet we seemed vulnerable on the flanks, particularly our right in the second half.

Our lack of a quality crosses and passes in what they used to call inside-right and left channels means a lot of our possession is wasted, and even when Long and Cole make runs there they rarely get the ball. That one, wicked cross from Carroll made all the difference.

Killie were impressive as a unit and are well drilled and should finish top six. Their support stuck with them and seemed somewhat irate at times. Did anyone see the incident at the big penalty shout in the second half?

Hartley seemed to be having a right go at Scott just before the end. Was it because we failed to score with a 3-1 overload?

Probably another 90 mins of torture on Saturday. Pass the Kool Aid.

9 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Hard game to summarise. Wasn't much on it before we scored, and for about 5 or 10 minutes after it we seemed to haring about trying to get a  second goal before they could reorganise properly. Their goal really seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and we continued to make bad decisions. From their goal til half time, they were the better team. By far..

Half time team talk seemed to work as we seemed to move the ball a bit quicker in the second half switching from side to side. You know, the stuff you're supposed to do against ten men. When we scored, it felt as if the goal was coming. The cross from Carroll was something else. The longer we went without getting the third goal, the more nervous we got and it seemed like Killie sensed that as well. Defensively we looked pretty shaky. 

For me, best performers were Long, Donnelly and Carroll. Campbell was Campbell. Hylton looked like a man with something to prove tonight, and had some good moments but also some bad ones. Polworth having a bit of a dip in form is a concern but still winning while you have key players not quite performing is encouraging...

Do not agree that they were better team by far after their goal. Also we were better team before sending off and whilst he may have touched ball first he then took long out so correct decision.

Their goal was poor defending from hylton who should have shown thomas down wing onto his right foot. The goal was one of those that happen and no blame on gillespie at all.

That not only killed the players confidence for a bit but for rest of 1st half the fans or some were very nervous and moaning and groaning all because if a team has 10 men the other team think they should be winning easy but it doesnt happen that way. Rest of 1st half they were comfortable.

Start of 2nd half was good and a great cross and jump from cole for goal. We should have killed it off with other chances and was a penalty from campbells missed sitter. Just before their last minute efforts we had a 4 on 1 breakaway which scott hit straight at keeper and they broke up park where gillespie had an outstanding save.

All in all very happy with 3 points and also happy that we are complaining when 3rd in table. We have now played everyone and other than Celtic for an hour I feel we have competed well. Aberdeen didnt play us off park but were very professional.

Dont want to get too far ahead but Europe is on!

2 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Only saw the highlights this morning, but instead of Campbell's effort being a 'miss' surely it was an arm from the defender and a penalty. Thoughts please!

Nah. It comes off Hamalaainen (#14)'s right toe rather than Johnson (#5)'s arm. It does look like that from the angle though!

2 hours ago, Winning by Name said:

Only saw the highlights this morning, but instead of Campbell's effort being a 'miss' surely it was an arm from the defender and a penalty. Thoughts please!

I thought the defender stuck a foot out and deflected it 

I actually thought it was quite a pleasing performance last night, Gallagher and Hartley won everything in the air. Once killie went down to 10 it was always going to be something a bit special that got us the second, as soon as we crossed into the Killie half it was every man behind the ball. We kept possession well enough with out looking too dangerous. Hartley at fault for there goal, he has to clear that for me however Hylton failed to track O'donnell's run which led to the foul as well.

performance wise, most get pass marks, midfield 3 were good....campbell as dogged as ever, Polworth and Donnelly looked after the ball well, I thought Long was excellent, he never stopped running, won umpteen corners from nothing, deserved a goal.

I think Hartley was having a go at Scott for not running the ball into the corner with a minute to go, which in turn led to a killie corner.

• Like 1

First team to score more than 1 into killie since Celtic 6 games ago, they are not an easy team to break down so we should be quite pleased with ourselves, we could have had a few more on top of that as well. Maybe a bit fortunate with the red card? But we'll take it no doubt one will go against us shortly. Quarter of the way into the season sitting 3rd in the table, livi next... happy days.

Maybe some of the comments need clearing up here. Killie are a good team with pedigree, yes they started poorly but has been pointed out it took time for their manager who has an impressive CV to get a grip on things, but they should have still easily seen off their Euro opposition.

We were fortunate to get the red card decision as it looked like he got the ball first. O'Donnell's remarkable goalscoring goes on but he was very fortunate that the keeper made a hash of it. Hylton has an uncanny ability for the ball to pinball off two defenders and pop out the other side just nice and into his stride. Long seems to be the exact opposite but let us not ignore his contribution was excellent and remember it took Louis until about this time of year in his first season to find a rich vein of goalscoring form.

Kirk Broadfoot came out in the press and made a hoo-ha about how he was considering doing extra fitness training as the manager was more focused on shape and positioning. That drilling was evident last night.

Surprise surprise, we get the ball to the by-line and whip in a dangerous ball and it pays dividends. It almost paid off in the first half when Hylton's shot was blocked after some cute play in the box, but it came from a run to the by-line. Switching play from side to side 20-25 yards out is not going to get much return when they are so well organised. If you are going to go that, at least try and do so 10 yards further forward inside the box where a stray foot or tug can get you a penalty. Regardless our game is counter attack and when they park the bus after 15 minutes you accept that its not going to be an option (until it was in the last 15 minutes where they tried to get an equaliser).

My criticism is reserved in particular for Seedorf. Again we saw him try to take on one man too many in search of what? Glory? An arrogance he's better than this league? Just beat a man, two if you know it is a cert and play an easy ball, ideally a few yards ahead of the players so he doesn't need to break his stride. If the whole team followed that I think our GD would be at least 4 or 5 better off just now. He particularly got my ire when Killie broke and he ambled back at a half jog despite coming on a few minutes before.

To be fair Robinson criticised both Seedorf and Scott (not by name) in his post match comments but Scott doesn't come anywhere close to the frustration I have for Seedorf and his mindset/attitude. My only criticism of Scott was he didn't make the keeper at least work.

Finally, our centre half paring gives me the same level of confidence as Aldred and Kipre or Martin and McCart did.

1 hour ago, Goggles & Flippers said:

We were fortunate to get the red card decision as it looked like he got the ball first. 

Getting the ball first is irrelevant, the only thing in the rules that determines whether a challenge is a foul is whether it was careless, reckless, or made with excessive force. (I'm still not sure it was worthy of a straight red, though, and I see they're appealing it.)

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Never a straight red

If the ref thought it was a foul and a clear goal scoring opportunity, the latest rules say straight red (outside the box). Inside the box it's a pen and yellow. Unless it's a handball that stops a goal, then it's a pen and a red.

(I think).

So I can see why he gave a red - but as I said at the time, not a fan of the rule. Refs should be allowed some leeway and I doubt anyone would have complained about a yellow and a free kick.

39 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If the ref thought it was a foul and a clear goal scoring opportunity, the latest rules say straight red (outside the box). Inside the box it's a pen and yellow. Unless it's a handball that stops a goal, then it's a pen and a red.

(I think).

So I can see why he gave a red - but as I said at the time, not a fan of the rule. Refs should be allowed some leeway and I doubt anyone would have complained about a yellow and a free kick.

What’s the difference between the Killie challenge and Gillespie’s challenge on O’Donnel?  The Killie defender slid across Long hit the ball and then Long fell over his legs. ...... I’m thinking that the ref thought the defender did not get the ball. 

41 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

What’s the difference between the Killie challenge and Gillespie’s challenge on O’Donnel?  The Killie defender slid across Long hit the ball and then Long fell over his legs. ...... I’m thinking that the ref thought the defender did not get the ball. 

Only the ref can tell us that, and I doubt he'll be popping on here to tell us.  The tackle on Long was more from behind than from the side, though, which might make him more inclined to consider it was "reckless" whether he touched the ball or not.

On 10/27/2019 at 6:30 PM, Yassin said:

I have the fear about this. Without wanting to play "Kilmarnock cliché bingo" they're exactly the sort of disciplined outfit that have caused us problems. Can see us losing an early goal and Killie holding us at an arm's length pretty comfortably.

If we do score first though and Killie have to go for it it could end up being a pretty entertaining game between the two best provincial sides in the country.

0-2 

:rolleyes: