2019'20 Game 11: Kilmarnock (H)

Andy_P

Interestingly, Killie are appealing Bruce's red card on the basis that as Long was offside (was he?) the tackle was null and void.  I wouldn't have thought that was valid. Certainly at the time one defender put his arm up in a hlaf hearted effort to claim offside but that was it. No great fuss at the time about it.

33 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Interestingly, Killie are appealing Bruce's red card on the basis that as Long was offside (was he?) the tackle was null and void.  I wouldn't have thought that was valid. Certainly at the time one defender put his arm up in a hlaf hearted effort to claim offside but that was it. No great fuss at the time about it.

Hard to tell from the TV pictures as Long's just out of frame when the pass is made, but he doesn't even look particularly close to being offside to me. It's an interesting (desperate?) grounds for appeal, but unless the referee has actually blown for offside then the ball is in play, so I can't see how it would succeed.

EDIT: This is the earliest frame I could capture that had all the defenders in shot. Long had just run away from goal slightly before turning again to run onto the pass, but I still reckon he was onside.

offiside.thumb.jpg.f7d5892498eccc994a6ab90723d62826.jpg

6 minutes ago, numpty said:

Hard to tell from the TV pictures as Long's just out of frame when the pass is made, but he doesn't even look particularly close to being offside to me. It's an interesting (desperate?) grounds for appeal, but unless the referee has actually blown for offside then the ball is in play, so I can't see how it would succeed.

Can’t see that being successful, but it’s compliance officer roulette, who knows...

I think Nemalinen (sp?) is playing him on.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Ok why tackle if he’s offside then ? Not sure where the info came from but find it hard to believe they would take that approach for an appeal. 

14 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's easy to forget Seedorf is only 21 with only a handful of first team appearances. My biggest criticism of Hastie in the first team was his choice on when to pass/cross and when to take on a man. That comes with experience though, and experience earned by playing games.

I doubt it's anything to to with arrogance; suspect it's more to do with wanting to make a difference. Like Robinson said after the game, there are a lot of young players out there who sometimes play too much attacking football instead of doing what is best for the team (and for game management).

Of course, if he doesn't improve his pass selection, then I might need to change my opinion.

We know he has blistering pace so I don't see why we don't use the tactic of playing it in behind the defence for him to run on to...