2019'20 Game 12: Livingston (H)

Andy_P

4 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I think we'll see Scott or Seedorf in place of Hylton, probably always Robinson's plan to rotate given we had 3 games in a week.

Gonna go with 3-1 to us, Long hat-trick!

I was a bit disappointed with Hylton last night. I thought earlier in the season he had a bit of a swagger/attitude about him along with some pace and skill but seemed very subdued last night I thought. Maybe better suited to more open games with space to run and get isolated 1 on 1?  Regarding Hylton and Seedorf I’d like to see us play the ball behind the defense for them to run onto instead of to their feet 

4 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I was a bit disappointed with Hylton last night. I thought earlier in the season he had a bit of a swagger/attitude about him along with some pace and skill but seemed very subdued last night I thought. Maybe better suited to more open games with space to run and get isolated 1 on 1?  Regarding Hylton and Seedorf I’d like to see us play the ball behind the defense for them to run onto instead of to their feet 

Pretty much agree with that although I thought he had a reasonable game last night. As with Seedorf, he had to escape the close attentions of 2 and on occasions 3 markers. He's more suited to open games but yes lets get the ball over the defence's heads for them to run onto. 

7 hours ago, steelboy said:

It's up to us to get the ball down and play some football. Campbell and Polworth need to step up.

If we do our job properly Livi's tactics are irrelevant.

I think we have the beating of them, but I don't expect Livi to stand back and admire our pretty passing. They are going to try and bully, manhandle and kick us for 90+ minutes then punt 60 yard balls into our box.

It won't be a game for the total footballing aesthete.

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think we have the beating of them, but I don't expect Livi to stand back and admire our pretty passing. They are going to try and bully, manhandle and kick us for 90+ minutes then punt 60 yard balls into our box.

A pretty decent summing up.  We're not able to compete with them physically for the most part, and certainly not in midfield or up front, but we can constrain their game and concentrate on our own playing decent football on the deck. Limit their crosses and set pieces and we'll do fine. 

9 hours ago, weeyin said:

It won't be a game for the total footballing aesthete.

In a league where goal scoring is a vanishing art, outside the Old Firm anyway,  Livingston have managed to put the ball in the net fairly regularly.  In fact they have the third best goals total away from home in the league.

They haven't been as tight defensively, conceded in every away match and at least two in all but one, so it could actually turn out that we get a few goals in the game.

Gary Holt was being interviewed pre-match on Wednesday and was very open about how they planned to play.

Similar to Robinson’s “earn the rite to play” but went further, actually saying he hopes it’s a terrible game as that suits them.

Lead me to wonder, is their less pressure on Livi and Hamilton to even attempt to entertain given they have nobody watching anyway? Neither have a pitch conducive to playing football, so that may be a factor?

Although given the price they charge at the Toni Macaroni, surely they do have some responsibility to entertain the crowd...

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

In a league where goal scoring is a vanishing art, outside the Old Firm anyway,  Livingston have managed to put the ball in the net fairly regularly.  In fact they have the third best goals total away from home in the league.

They haven't been as tight defensively, conceded in every away match and at least two in all but one, so it could actually turn out that we get a few goals in the game.

Just in case I'm not being clear (as people seem to be taking issue with something I haven't said), it's the STYLE OF PLAY I'm talking about.

I'm not saying we won't win, or that their won't be goals. I'm just not expecting to see any flowing football or 20 pass moves.

(But I'll be delighted if I'm wrong).

Livi are always tricky buggers. But they can be a bit like ourselves in that you never know "which Livi will turn up" to use an over-trodden phrase.

The rain will help them but I think we have enough to edge it. Important as it would open a little gap between the sides

I still think this will be  a difficult match against very street-wise opponents. In flashes, Long reminds me of those strong-running English strikers from the 70/80s like Mick Channon but he then reverts to Andy Harrow at the tail end of his career. Both he and Cole need goals and games to improve so here's hoping they get some goals today.

Shining Lights 2 Dark Arts 0 but we'll leave it late for number 2.

Livi are one of the most organised sides in the league and as such they are very hard to break down. You need look no further than their very well deserved victory against Celtic to see that. It was a performance and a result that the sides in Celtic’s Europa group would have bitten your hand off for. I’m going for a very hard fought 2-1 win to the mighty Well.

Motherwell: Gillespie, Hartley, Gallagher, Carroll, Grimshaw, Connelly, Campbell, Polworth, Long, Hylton, Cole.

Substitutes: Carson, Tait, Seedorf, Maguire, Ilic, Scott, Mugabi.

Livingston: Sarkic, Odoffin, Lithgow, Guthrie, Lamie, Bartley, Crawford, Jacobs, Lawson, Pittman, Tiffoney.

Substitutes: Stewart, McMillan, Robinson, Lawless, Sibbald, Stobbs.