2019'20 Game 12: Livingston (H)

Andy_P

Good 3 points against difficult and organised opponents. They will cause everybody in the league problems. Thankfully our centre half’s and goalkeeper did particularly well. And good substitution from the manager to counter the oncoming aerial bombardment. 

winning when not playing well hardly a bad habit

2 hours ago, mwellhighland said:

Anyone else think Coles reaction to the challenge made up the officials mind? He basically stopped and waited for the whistle 

Nope think the linesman called it. Ref delayed pointing to the spot immediatley

Another great three points to go with the three from Wednesday night . 

Last year we maybe weren’t as resilient and could have maybe only got draws 

Tbh if it wasn’t for Gillespie saves in last minute of both games we would have been looking at two points from six .

Gallagher and Hartley are forming a good understanding as they get familiar with each other’s game . 

All in all delighted with the team so far .

1 hour ago, Happy Dosser said:

Just the kind of shitfest many feared but we scraped it where last year we would have dropped points. No sympathy for the visitors, who worked the referee well but had little creativity. Having said that, I still feared the last-minute sickener from them.

Hylton should be fined for his pathetic dive and his replacement Seedorf produced the wee bit of confusion to allow Campbell to hit the winner. 

Six points on fine margins from the last four days so delighted.

Yip a shitfest of a football match

Our midfield had about the worst game they’ve had all season 

Young Campbell getting caught on the ball to often for my liking over last few games and for all his energy and drive passing is not one of his attributes 

Donnelly was so far of the pace of the game and contributed zilch to the proceedings 

Polworth kept on plugging away but nothing seemed to work for him today

Still midfield not at the races and we still come up with 3 points not to be sneezed at

AND your right Hylton should be taken aside and told in no uncertain manner to get that out of his game once you get a reputation for diving it’s hard to shake off and could come back to haunt us later in the season 

• Like 1

I actually thought we were mince today. With exception of defence and goalie we were well off the pace. 

All that said Livi were brutal. We were agricultural a season ago but their football was eye bleedingly awful.  launch it into the box at every opportunity. Lithgow who takes long throws as a novelty at first. Now it is just sad and boring and awful to watch.

Still I have watched Motherwell dominate games and come away with SFA so will take it. 6 points from 6 was what we neede with Celtic away next. 

Livi are a horrible football team.

They fell over at the slightest touch, 6ft defenders included, they moaned and whined and continually got in the refs face.  Unbelievable how many of them ran up continually demanding fouls and bookings even for fair tackles.

Dont get me wrong they have an impressive work rate defend well but the are torture to watch. 

12 hours ago, wellwell91 said:

Yip a shitfest of a football match

Our midfield had about the worst game they’ve had all season 

Young Campbell getting caught on the ball to often for my liking over last few games and for all his energy and drive passing is not one of his attributes 

Donnelly was so far of the pace of the game and contributed zilch to the proceedings 

Polworth kept on plugging away but nothing seemed to work for him today

Still midfield not at the races and we still come up with 3 points not to be sneezed at

AND your right Hylton should be taken aside and told in no uncertain manner to get that out of his game once you get a reputation for diving it’s hard to shake off and could come back to haunt us later in the season 

Good to see somebody that looks at the overall performance and not just the three points .Thought we struggled all day to get a grip on the game so we ended up with usual last10 watching it wondering when they were going to score . Take the three points though because the run of games coming up will be tough 

As ever thing will come down to perspective and whether you want to emphasise a positive or negative. You can justifiably make the point that we've been two terrific late saves away from going four without a win. You could also argue that we've played three top six teams in a week, and despite often being remarked to be much physically weaker, too open in midfield and shaky defensively  we've beaten two of them and only lost one goal in open play.

I had been concerned in midweek that we might suffer from the exertions of Ibrox last Sunday but it never quite materialised on Wednesday. I felt there was a noticeable flatness and a definite lack of zip about us yesterday.  It really did look like one of those games where at best we were going to draw 0-0 and at worst they'd sneak it with one of their rare, but fairly dangerous, forays upfield.

The goal when it came was a bit of a gift but I guess it's the old saying, don't buy a ticket and you won't win the raffle.  The conditions warranted such efforts and pleased that both our strikers and slowly but surely adding to their tallies.

Livi's penalty looked a stone waller from my vantage point. A daft challenge and even dafter response by turning around and looking as guilty as one can be.

But credit to the team and management for getting the win.  The arrival of Seedorf brought an injection of pace at the right time and another piece of good fortune that Allan Campbell was in the right place at the right time to grab the winner.

Enjoying being third for the moment but regardless of placings just now it is significant he gap being established between ourselves and the teams below us.  Getting the win enabled us to move nine clear of Livingston is seventh.  We often hear how the league position and prize money can determine the pace of contract negotiations so our good start may enable us to turn attentions to that earlier than might have been the case.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, ropy said:

4 wins and 4 draws and we are safe 

Laughably, this was also on my mind. I think it’s fair to assume that we will be pushing top six this season, barring some huge meltdown. Budget wise, it would appear that we should be able to improve the squad based on that and with the mumblings that Sloth will see the door in Jan., it may be the case that we’ve got a relatively chunky amount of budget to work with. We haven’t yet heard about Turnbull returning but now that the debt is paid off, we surely won’t be in a rush to sell in Jan. Either. Has the makings of a very good season however it’s Motherwell so you never know

Yesterday it was job done and that was the importnat thing. Two good home wins on the trot against very tough and demanding opponents. After those tests, I'd say we are a good bet for a top six place, with the very important and perhaps uncertain, qualification, that other things remain equal. 

Livingston played as many of us expected. Well drilled, exceptional work rate, on the ball, but more importantly off the ball.  They didn't come to entertain but to gain a point. Thier was a distasteful side to their game as others have pointed out and they worked the referee well.  For our part, we played similarly to our performance against Kilmarnock. I suspect that our 3 games in 6 days schedule took its toll as we looked jaded. Our midfield was outbattled when Livingston chose to mix it and we lacked punch and invention. We are a relatively lightweight team just now. The build up was slow and very predictable and we lacked a killer touch in the box. Again our full backs struggled. Thats the negatives. 

There were plenty of positives though.  Our central defensive pairing was rock solid and Gillespie was impressive. We never gave up and played patiently. I thought the subs were reasonable although the introduction of Mugabi signalled our intentions to Livingston. I like Long's movement up front and he took his goal well. Not Allan Campbell's best game but he kept going to score the winner. Luck or no luck he was in the right place at the right time. There's plenty of talent in the side, albeit very raw.  We're not third for nothing.

As an aside I thought the penalty decision was very soft. Cole made a rash challenge certainly, but I'm not sure there was much contact and Tiffoney went down like a poleaxed bullock and not for the first or even second time.     

On 11/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, stv said:

Nope think the linesman called it. Ref delayed pointing to the spot immediatley

Just watched the highlights what the feck was Grimshaw’s attempted headed clearance all about leading to the challenge by Cole for the penalty 

As a defensive header it was school boy stuff

A similar header late in the game almost cost us the points against Killie in midweek 

I like Grimshaw but I’m afraid he’s a defensive nightmare and we’re always waiting for the mistake that seems to come every game 

Just look at his positional sense at the end when Gillespie makes the great save 

• Like 1