Stadium and training ground back on agenda

GregyScotland

I think it would probably take some sort of wealthy benefactor to put up the money, probably on the understanding they get the Fir Park land when we move out.

Which even allowing for this benefactor being out there would be a massive gamble that they could break even or close to it...

I don’t imagine the planning and execution of such a hypothetical plan would be done in a few months either.

Anything over and above your basic concrete soulless stadium probably ramps up the costs quite quickly.

My three must haves would be:

4 sides

grass pitch

safe standing for home and away fans.

• Like 1

I honestly couldn't care less about a safe standing area, suppose it would save some money but other than that it doesn't interest me in the slightest, does it really add or subtract from the match day experience/atmosphere. I don't think so. Parkhead doesn't all of a sudden have a better atmosphere cause a few thousand fans can stand, same goes for Dortmund.

Grass and four stands is a must, Ideally down the scandanavian route if possible.

2 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

I honestly couldn't care less about a safe standing area, suppose it would save some money but other than that it doesn't interest me in the slightest, does it really add or subtract from the match day experience/atmosphere. I don't think so. Parkhead doesn't all of a sudden have a better atmosphere cause a few thousand fans can stand, same goes for Dortmund.

Grass and four stands is a must, Ideally down the scandanavian route if possible.

That's fine. You don't need to stand in a safe standing area if that doesn't interest you.  I doubt sitting behind the goal is some fans choice at games. I doubt some want to be sat in the vicinity of a vociferous section full of Bois or others the more sedate setting of the centre stand.

But it would seem sensible to cater for as many preferences as possible when you have the opportunity to build something from scratch no?

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

That's fine. You don't need to stand in a safe standing area if that doesn't interest you.  I doubt sitting behind the goal is some fans choice at games. I doubt some want to be sat in the vicinity of a vociferous section full of Bois or others the more sedate setting of the centre stand.

But it would seem sensible to cater for as many preferences as possible when you have the opportunity to build something from scratch no?

Agree entirely, the atmosphere at Parkhead benefits massively from it. Intrigued to see how it works out at Killie, which is probably a better indicator as to how it would go for us.

1 hour ago, Andy_P said:

Agree up to a point, though of course if you don't do a good job of estimating how many people will be interested in what, you risk ending up with bits of the ground that nobody really wants to use.

• 9 months later...

as Last Post By:

fancied chatting new stadium, I though I’d revive this thread 

not enough change in circumstances for me even if a couple of transfer deals were to pay off

club would need something like £12-14 million funding secured in place before even considering a move

18 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Airdrie possibly? Broomfield was a shitehole...

Anything with a plastic pitch is a downgrade for me. I'd rather stand on a wobbly step to watch a game on grass than sit in an armchair to watch a game on plastic.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Has any Scottish club ever moved to a better stadium?  I'm struggling to think of any.

The Falkirk stadium is very decent with probably the best new build main stand in Scotland, just needs a forth stand.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Anything with a plastic pitch is a downgrade for me. I'd rather stand on a wobbly step to watch a game on grass than sit in an armchair to watch a game on plastic.

Edinburgh City when they move into New/Lesser Murrayfield after the council screwed them over with Meadowbank?