Stadium and training ground back on agenda

GregyScotland

35 minutes ago, KirkySuperSub said:

Thanks, I had heard / read that prior, but the cynic in me wonders how legit it is / was.

I guess that all changes the picture dramatically if that does ever take shape, as suddenly a piece of land worth whatever, might be worth 2 or 3 times whatever.

Also, what timescales are we talking for this?

I mean, given the talk that the Ravenscraig site has already been sitting for 20 years (give or take) can we assume we'll be waiting another 20 years for this upgrade to come to fruition?

Don't suppose anyone knows on here, or if you yourself do Pw2, as it would be good know what the current 'guestimations' must be for these links to be made.

The main reason Ravenscraig new town never happened was the owners of Hamilton and East Kilbride town centres ( possibly the same company) argued that the legislation NL council was using under “ new town” was illegal .....so they opposed it in the Scottish courts and lost....they then took it to London and lost ,knowing they were not going to win, as it would stall the development ...this took place over the early to mid naughties .....then the financial crash 

If we are to move at some point in the future, then Ravenscraig would certainly be my preferred option. Not only for the commercial / financial benefits that may bring from being part of a larger structured community plan, but also with the view to maintaining our links with our history as a steeltown club. There is a history attached to Fir Park which will be lost. But it could be replaced with a new history if we are located on the site of the old steelworks. Having a steelmaking / club museum co located on the same site as the new stadium (even within it) would be a fantastic way to connect the 2 things for the next generation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

If we are to move at some point in the future, then Ravenscraig would certainly be my preferred option. Not only for the commercial / financial benefits that may bring from being part of a larger structured community plan, but also with the view to maintaining our links with our history as a steeltown club. There is a history attached to Fir Park which will be lost. But it could be replaced with a new history if we are located on the site of the old steelworks. Having a steelmaking / club museum co located on the same site as the new stadium (even within it) would be a fantastic way to connect the 2 things for the next generation.

I have to be honest, outside of the fir park area I have no idea of the layout of the town. Would it pose problems for those attending, how far out is it. The new stadium in York is fine as a stadium but it’s moved 3 miles or so out of the city centre, parking is going to be something like a fiver, and you can’t walk to it if you live in the city, real worries long term that it’s going to effect attendances.

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

I have to be honest, outside of the fir park area I have no idea of the layout of the town. Would it pose problems for those attending, how far out is it. The new stadium in York is fine as a stadium but it’s moved 3 miles or so out of the city centre, parking is going to be something like a fiver, and you can’t walk to it if you live in the city, real worries long term that it’s going to effect attendances.

Ravenscaig is one of, if not the, largest brownfield sites in Europe I believe. Any stadium I imagine would be close to the current edge of Motherwell. If the streets are connected up as per the plans it shouldn't make much difference to the majority for journeys to Fir Park v new site. 

If we got the plot nearest Dalziell Works, next to the new College, Im sure there is planning or was talk about building a train station on the line there to service the College and Ravenscraig area. So you could have a train station on the stadium doorstep, lots of on site parking and if there was a station there, also a shortcut over the train line meaning it would only be an extra 5 min or so walk from Fir Park

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaka said:

If we got the plot nearest Dalziell Works, next to the new College, Im sure there is planning or was talk about building a train station on the line there to service the College and Ravenscraig area. So you could have a train station on the stadium doorstep, lots of on site parking and if there was a station there, also a shortcut over the train line meaning it would only be an extra 5 min or so walk from Fir Park

There has never been a plan for a new station at that location. Airbles & Shieldmuir taking the honours in mid/late 80’s. Capacity just wouldn’t allow.

Current main line facility at Motherwell being brought into the 21st century  which would render a new facility highly unlikely also.