2019'20 Game 13: Celtic (A)

Andy_P

7 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

Wtf is Tait doing ? Rank poor defending. I have huge admiration for him but sadly I think his best days are in the past.  It was a fairly basic cross into the box. 

For whatever reason he's been poor since that Hearts cup game. 

1 minute ago, claretband said:

Huge amount of possession 2nd half. Plus a record number of long throws?

no offence buddy but so what when you give away two goals to a poor performing Celtic team. It means nothing and achieved nothing. No one will look back on this game and say remember the amount of possession and long throws we had.

Thought that was a decent performance. Still pressing at the end of the game. Didn’t collapse after the og. Once again though we let ourselves down with a couple of lapses which make it hard for us to take any points. Overall though I thought we played well but lacking a real threat going forward.  Very Far from the worst performance at park head.  

One of those games where Celtic were happy to play within themselves and do just enough to get the win. We never really threatened bar a few half chances, and there was always the threat of Celtic going up the gears if they needed to. 

Thought cole and Polworth were decent, and maguire filled in well. The og was a shame, Tait needed to get a touch cos there was a guy at the back post waiting for a tap in. Gallagher’s last ditch tackle in the first half was class, and I thought he and Mugabi were solid enough. 

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

and whats the difference losing well and losing badly ... absolutely bugger all ... but they'll be queuing up to take positives from the defeat, its the Scottish mentality we are comfortable losers from the top of the game to the juniors

You can’t win on here. If you’re negative you get pelters. If you try and take some positives from a defeat you get pelters. We are all doomed. 

I've said it before, the gulf between us and Celtic financially is bigger than the gulf between Celtic and PSG or Celtic and Manchester City. That should kind of help set expectations going into these games. Granted, we should always look to get something from them, but if they're even halfway on form we're not going to see much joy.

I thought we looked pretty decent for most of the game. Not much of a consolation mind you, but it is what it is. On to Hibs.

I think we have to be philosophical about these games these days. They are an exercise in staying well organised and disciplined in front of a big crowd. But for the goals Well did that today so I am not hugely dispondant. These  games can derail a season and that has not happened today. Negative maybe but tinged with realism.

The big disappointment for me is that Tom English is back from the rugby world cup  and  back to commentating on the football. 

24 minutes ago, underboyleheating said:

You can’t win on here. If you’r e negative you get pelters. If you try and take some positives from a defeat you get pelters. We are all doomed. 

i wish the Scottish mentality was there are NO positives in defeat, our game might not be so piss poor from top to bottom if we didnt so readily console ourselves in continual defeat

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

i wish the Scottish mentality was there are NO positives in defeat, our game might not be so piss poor from top to bottom if we didnt so readily console ourselves in continual defeat

I am sure you do. Most of us however recognise that Celtic have a budget and squad that dwarfs ours. 
It really is the equivalent of Brechin playing Motherwell at Fir Park. Do you think their fans would go into a meltdown were they to lose 2-0 to Motherwell. 
You would be better hoping that Scottish football fans supported teams other than for religious or continual successes then the Old Firm would not dominate so much. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

I am sure you do. Most of us however recognise that Celtic have a budget and squad that dwarfs ours. 
It really is the equivalent of Brechin playing Motherwell at Fir Park. Do you think their fans would go into a meltdown were they to lose 2-0 to Motherwell. 
You would be better hoping that Scottish football fans supported teams other than for religious or continual successes then the Old Firm would not dominate so much. 

Im well aware of Celtics budget its the mentality of Scots that irks me ,  we revel in making defeat palatable. Defeat should be unpalatable and painful in competitive sports thats how winners become winners. I fully accept resources will have an impact but so does mindset and expectation. .  Maybe if defeat wasnt so readily made palatable the mindset might change and just maybe we might see Scotland and Scottish teams improve their standing. Frankly once we lose I couldn't give a flying fuck about all the positives it has absolutely no bearing on the next game. Same as the bollocks that we learn from defeat, if Scottish teams and players learned from defeat we'd have one of the most well educated prepared players on the planet. If  we lost or are unlucky or brave I couldnt give a flying fuck, we move on and try not to bask in defeat. Never mind how many corners we got , how many throw in we had. Fuck me Craig Brown once said his team had won the game in  corners. That entire mindset sets my teeth jangling. Look at Iceland Scotland could play for a 1000 years and never achieve what a country of 300,000 did at a major tournament, that's not down to resource. Though I accept the premise resources will always be a factor but so is an accepting get you excuses in early losers mentality.

50 minutes ago, star sail said:

I think we have to be philosophical about these games these days. They are an exercise in staying well organised and disciplined in front of a big crowd. But for the goals Well did that today so I am not hugely dispondant. These  games can derail a season and that has not happened today. Negative maybe but tinged with realism.

The big disappointment for me is that Tom English is back from the rugby world cup  and  back to commentating on the football. 

Yep, pretty much, huge gulf in resources and we kept the score down so not a disaster, we move on.

2 minutes ago, Yodo said:

The question is did the team go onto the pitch wth any hope in their hearts or were they thinking we get out of here only losing 2 goals we have done well . ? 

I don't think for one minute Robinson or the players set out to get beat but there is no question in my mind they subconsciously realise defeat is expected and people will give them plaudits as long as they don't get pumped, so its OK. That mindset is endemic in Scottish Football so if you never really expect to win you rarely will.  You hear many fans of all teams write the OF games off saying these games don't matter cos we are not expected to get anything out of them. 

Im well aware of Celtics budget its the mentality of Scots that irks me ,  we revel in making defeat palatable. Defeat should be unpalatable and painful in competitive sports thats how winners become winners. I fully accept resources will have an impact but so does mindset and expectation. .  Maybe if defeat wasnt so readily made palatable the mindset might change and just maybe we might see Scotland and Scottish teams improve their standing. Frankly once we lose I couldn't give a flying fuck about all the positives it has absolutely no bearing on the next game. Same as the bollocks that we learn from defeat, if Scottish teams and players learned from defeat we'd have one of the most well educated prepared players on the planet. If  we lost or are unlucky or brave I couldnt give a flying fuck, we move on and try not to bask in defeat. Never mind how many corners we got , how many throw in we had. Fuck me Craig Brown once said his team had won the game in  corners. That entire mindset sets my teeth jangling. Look at Iceland Scotland could play for a 1000 years and never achieve what a country of 300,000 did at a major tournament, that's not down to resource. Though I accept the premise resources will always be a factor but so is an accepting get you excuses in early losers mentality.

If thays your outlook on things maybe supporting a team like us , which does loose its fair share of games is not good for your blood pressure. Chill out man.

3 minutes ago, stv said:

If thays your outlook on things maybe supporting a team like us , which does loose its fair share of games is not good for your blood pressure. Chill out man.

im perfectly chilled thanks my observations as you will see in my posts are not restricted to Motherwell

i wish the Scottish mentality was there are NO positives in defeat

You can, however, hold more than one thought - even if you're a footballer.

It's perfectly fine to hate losing a game, but identify what went well (so you can replicate that positive) and identify the weak points (so you can work on eliminating the negative).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

You hear many fans of all teams write the OF games off saying these games don't matter cos we are not expected to get anything out of them. 

Fans say a lot of ill-informed things, but I'd be amazed if there was a single Motherwell player today who didn't play to win that game today. 

i dont really buy into the learning curve from one game to another , no two games are the same the amount of different variables from each game are enormous. If that learning was as effective as people think Scotland wouldn't be looking at 20 years of failure on he international stage. i remember two season back we blew 7 or 8  games out of 12 the last 3 or 4 minutes ... if wed learned anything that shouldnt happen 

4 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Fans say a lot of ill-informed things, but I'd be amazed if there was a single Motherwell player today who didn't play to win that game today. 

i would agree but i still stand by my view defeat is easier take with the Scottish Footballing mindset. Anyway plenty will disagree with me im actually boring myself now so offer no more comment on the subject

5 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

i dont really buy into the learning curve from one game to another , no two games are the same the amount of different variables from each game are enormous. If that learning was as effective as people think Scotland wouldn't be looking at 20 years of failure on he international stage

The problem is we are not learning from our defeats. Or perhaps a better phrase is “our mistakes” since you don’t have to actually get beat to learn something. We see similar mistakes repeating although to be fair to Tait I think that 9 out of 10 times he would likely have cleared that. I’d say mistakes are more along the lines of “turning off“, not executing simple passes, trying to play out instead clearing the ball, or howfing it out instead of releasing player into space.