2019'20 Game 13: Celtic (A)

Andy_P

4 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Pray tell us where you think he should’ve been positioned that wouldn’t have cost us?

He’s very much fitting a modern full back style at the moment. Have a look at the bigger picture or game management as it’s termed. Offering much needed drive and energy he regularly serves as our only outball.

On the whole I like Grimmy. He does have an abundance of energy and going forward he is a joy to watch at times. 

But defensively I think he is lacking sadly and it is costing us.

Watching the highlights he was caught out several times 2 of which led to goals. I get that Celtic have good players and I also get that they will outfox many defenders, but the 1st goal he allows Elyanoussi to cut inside towards the box and make the pass that leads to the 1st goal.  Better positional sense and he forces Elyanoussi down the line or does not allow him to have a free run towards the box. 
Second goal is a good pass but he neither cuts off the pass nor cuts out the cross. To be fair Tait is more culpable as it was a howler of an attempted clearance. 

• Like 1

Stuck away in the opposite corner I didn't realise the pressure on Tait was much less than it appeared through the line of bodies. At the time it was  Polworth whom I was most disappointed in. On the back of a poor delivery from a set-piece that overshot everbody moments earlier he was very easily brushed off in the middle of the park before the ball even when don't the wing towards Grimshaw. Highlights might show different of course.

2 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Pray tell us where you think he should’ve been positioned that wouldn’t have cost us?

He’s very much fitting a modern full back style at the moment. Have a look at the bigger picture or game management as it’s termed. Offering much needed drive and energy he regularly serves as our only outball.

Call me I’d fashioned but the first thing I want a defender to do is DEFEND

This is something I’m afraid does not come natural to Grimshaw 

As I say I have nothing against him but he is not a natural defender have a look at his defensive headers that lead to the penalty against Livi and almost cost us a late goal against Killie

I know he’s not having his best season but once again Tait ( a natural right back who is able to produce a half decent delivery into the box) is once again asked to perform out of his natural position. 

23 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Call me I’d fashioned but the first thing I want a defender to do is DEFEND

This is something I’m afraid does not come natural to Grimshaw 

As I say I have nothing against him but he is not a natural defender have a look at his defensive headers that lead to the penalty against Livi and almost cost us a late goal against Killie

I know he’s not having his best season but once again Tait ( a natural right back who is able to produce a half decent delivery into the box) is once again asked to perform out of his natural position. 

You’re I’d fashioned. There. Still never answered the question...

i never said I didn’t want him to defend, it’s a major flaw in the modern game with many full backs. Well aware he’s not a natural defender, suspect the player himself does - he’s our best option currently.

I’ve  seen Tait more than most this season - Mr Consistency has lost at least a yard in pace & watching him last Monday Was painful & felt he’s trying to over compensate with performance dipping.

The longer he doesn’t fill the right back slot the better player he’s become to the sycophants on here. It is that simple, if he was better than Grimshaw he’d be playing a lot more regularly - he isn’t, are messrs Robinson & Lasley wrong?

3 hours ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

On the whole I like Grimmy. He does have an abundance of energy and going forward he is a joy to watch at times. 

But defensively I think he is lacking sadly and it is costing us.

Watching the highlights he was caught out several times 2 of which led to goals. I get that Celtic have good players and I also get that they will outfox many defenders, but the 1st goal he allows Elyanoussi to cut inside towards the box and make the pass that leads to the 1st goal.  Better positional sense and he forces Elyanoussi down the line or does not allow him to have a free run towards the box. 
Second goal is a good pass but he neither cuts off the pass nor cuts out the cross. To be fair Tait is more culpable as it was a howler of an attempted clearance. 

This better positional sense showing the player on the outside you speak of opens the gap between fullback & centre back which the dependable Gallagher doesn’t always fill...  The split pass between the two is favoured by Polworth against the opposition regularly.

42 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

You’re I’d fashioned. There. Still never answered the question...

i never said I didn’t want him to defend, it’s a major flaw in the modern game with many full backs. Well aware he’s not a natural defender, suspect the player himself does - he’s our best option currently.

I’ve  seen Tait more than most this season - Mr Consistency has lost at least a yard in pace & watching him last Monday Was painful & felt he’s trying to over compensate with performance dipping.

The longer he doesn’t fill the right back slot the better player he’s become to the sycophants on here. It is that simple, if he was better than Grimshaw he’d be playing a lot more regularly - he isn’t, are messrs Robinson & Lasley wrong?

You don’t need pace to be a good defender [ remember Joe Wark ] not over indulged with pace …… but what a defender

Tait has been played everywhere in the first team this season bar right back !!!!

Oh and what about the defensive headers ?????

Being able to do the basics goes a long way for a defender 

Defend first and be good at it anything after that is a bonus

47 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

You don’t need pace to be a good defender [ remember Joe Wark ] not over indulged with pace …… but what a defender

Tait has been played everywhere in the first team this season bar right back !!!!

Oh and what about the defensive headers ?????

Being able to do the basics goes a long way for a defender 

Defend first and be good at it anything after that is a bonus

Football has evolved in the 30 or so years since Joe Wark retired though.

I certainly don’t recall Richard Tait excelling at the defensive side of the game when he did play at fullback.

Defensive headers? It’s as if others don’t make mistakes.

On 11/11/2019 at 12:55 PM, Blakey said:

Behave yourself! Us actually getting a decent cup draw?

We'll probably draw one of the Old Firm away.

We've drawn Celtic/Rangers away 3 times in the last decade in the knockout stages across the two cups, and met Rangers at Hampden twice in semi finals. 

In that period we've been eliminated by St. Mirren (x2), Hamilton (x2), Inverness (x2), Hibernian, Aberdeen (x3), Albion Rovers, Dundee United, Morton, Hearts (x2), Ross County.

We get pretty good cup draws, tbh. 

9 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Interesting to read the debate on Grimshaw. For what it's worth, I wasn't at Parkhead on Sunday but was talking to a Celtic supporting colleague and unprompted he singled out Grimshaw as a Motherwell player that had impressed him...

Yes he makes mistakes but all our players do. Right now I think he is our best choice for right back and retains his starting place on merit. Not sure how many people agree on that though and I’m never sure how representative the views on on here are of the Motherwell support as a whole. 

8 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

We've drawn Celtic/Rangers away 3 times in the last decade in the knockout stages across the two cups, and met Rangers at Hampden twice in semi finals. 

In that period we've been eliminated by St. Mirren (x2), Hamilton (x2), Inverness (x2), Hibernian, Aberdeen (x3), Albion Rovers, Dundee United, Morton, Hearts (x2), Ross County.

Pffft. You can prove anything with facts. 

• Haha 1

On 11/12/2019 at 2:56 PM, thisGRAEME said:

Before that - but in living memory - QP (at home!), Alloa, Meadowbank (or was that in ye league) and a right humpin' at Starks Park in the LC immediately after we'd won the Scottish.

Nurse! The medication!