Change on the Board of Directors

Kmcalpin

3 hours ago, dennyc said:

And was his much lauded innovative scouting scheme not replaced by the bloodhound that is Martin Foyle?

Martin Foyle and the structure and resources he was given (not to mention the changed model where we pay fees for players) were all part of the processes Les put in place. When you restructure a business, it's not a one time deal. It's about putting in process and structures that evolve.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Going by his own words he made his money in the privatisation and eventual closure of Scottish industry. 

Be it him or someone else, that was always going to happen. Let's just be a little happy that the person who took that opportunity was someone who cared enough to get involved with the club.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GregyScotland said:

I have seen Les taking a bit of stick now on a few places such as Twitter conversations and cannot get my head around why. He has helped modernise the club, ask the questions that needed asking and move the club onto a more stable footing rather than the cut throat approach we had become accustomed to. Also from what I can see helped Burrows clean up the mess that was left behind from LD's iron grip on club affairs. LD I was told by a few folk was an utter control freak and the club wasn't in great financial shape under her management yet I dont remember a great deal being said at the time.

I just think he's a prick. Like the comment below says, he did well for us.

10 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Les is a hardnosed businessman. You dont make the money he has made without ruffling a few feathers. Quite often that doesnt make you very likeable.

TBF though, I dont need to like Les to be thankful for what he did for our club. He may have made mistakes, but he was the right man (maybe the only man) at the right time.

So thank you Les.

• 4 months later...

sooo..

another change at board level , not seen it mentioned many places, Club Website

Offical Club Website Article

Andrew Wilson rejoins the board

Tuesday 17 March 2020

Andrew Wilson has rejoined the board of Motherwell Football Club as a director.

Andrew is a well-known figure in business and public life as an economist, former politician and communications strategist.

An elected member of the first Scottish Parliament in 1999, he served as a shadow minister across various departments before joining RBS in 2003 in a number of roles, including as deputy chief economist and head of group communications.

Wilson, who was previously on the board between 2010 and 2015 and was a key player in the creation of the ‘Well Society, is now a founding partner of strategic communications firm Charlotte Street Partners.

Chairman Jim McMahon said: “We conducted a review into the skill set and the make up of the board and Andrew is an excellent candidate to rejoin.

“He is experienced in both the public and private sector and is extremely well respected and connected. I am delighted we’ve managed to add someone of his standing.

“We will continue to review the position with the Supervisory and ‘Well Society boards around further integration of directors, following some of our recent objectives being achieved.”

Andrew will join chairman Jim McMahon, vice chair Douglas Dickie, chief executive Alan Burrows and Tom Feely on the board at Fir Park.

“It is a privilege for me to play a part in helping my club succeed and grow,” he said of his appointment.

“Motherwell FC’s purpose is extremely important to its community and it is a source of great joy and improvement for many people.

“We have ambitious plans to continue its success and I rejoin at a time when I don’t think the club has been better stewarded.

“We have a tough crisis to navigate and must play an active part in getting our community and the country through it.”

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

Being deputy Chief Economist at RBS in 2008 surely isn't something to brag about. It only cost taxpayers £24 billion and led to austerity. 

Economists didn't cause the financial crisis. It was the bankers that did that. Not the same thing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Apparently the board has declined the offer of takeover talks from the people in charge at Barnsley do they know something  we don't?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52066527

They have been trying to get control of a Scottish club for a while. Last year it was Patrick Thistle, but were knocked back by Colin Weir. 

I guess they thought some of our clubs may be struggling and looking for a way out. After all we did to become fan owned it was a bit of a long shot.

• 3 months later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53318830

Alan Burrows: Motherwell chief executive quits SFPL board

The SPFL board needs "freshness" and "new ideas", says Alan Burrows, as he confirmed he is to step down after two years as a member.

The Motherwell chief executive will not be a candidate for re-election when the board is voted in prior to the SPFL annual general meeting this month.

Burrows intends to devote more time to his Fir Park duties.

"I have thought long and hard about it," he tweeted. "I'm happy to stand back and let others get involved.

"The board needs a degree of continuity, particularly with the challenges of Covid-19 still far from over, and I am glad some of my colleagues have once again put themselves forward for re-election."

35 minutes ago, santheman said:

Wonder if he wasn’t happy with the way things were going within the SPFL board.

Their loss and our gain.

Given that he has been completely silent (unlike other board members) on the current controversy you'd have to guess that he doesn't have full confidence in their actions. 

12 hours ago, dennyc said:

Or when we are 2nd and it’s all his fault we are not top. 

We cannot possibly judge him on where we finish in the league. He can only be gauged on how silent he's been on any given matter, don't you know? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1