The Allan Campbell Appreciation Thread

GazzyB

Incredible he's only 21. Can only hope he continues his development as he's got the capacity to go much further in the game. I've seen a different side to him this year which I didn't expect - some of his forward thinking play and finesse can be exceptional considering he was forever being lauded as the tough tackling midfielder. 

I also get the impression he's generally an excellent player to have in the squad due to his work ethic. An inspiration for many younger players at MFC. 

Hes doing what every young player aspiring to make it in the game should copy.  Fight your way into the team, find consistency, keep your head down and learn your trade, then when a big move comes up you've got the background and experience of a long run in a decent team which makes the step up that much easier and less chance of failing at a higher level as has happened with so many young players thinking they are better than they are.

Plus hes a thoroughly nice young guy with no delusions of grandeur

1 hour ago, The African said:

Watched the second half. Not much f a game and a disappointing result. Campbell was solid, as was Maguire. Think that playing Campbell as the most advanced midfielder isa strange use of resources. 

Playing in an advanced role is something Campbell started in the Toulon Tournament a couple of seasons ago.  It worked pretty well there, which is why I imagine it continued.

It's been to our advantage as well this season, as Donnelly in the holding position has allowed Campbell to play further up the park for us.

Campbell was playing much further forward last night than he has for us this season and was poor supporting the striker but still made a lot of positive contributions when he dropped further back. Lewis Ferguson was played that role against Lithuania and was horrific so Gemmill obviously decided to switch them. Robinson tried Campbell there at the start of last season when he was building the most boring team in history.

That's the third game in a row Scotland haven't scored in. Gemmill is a terrible manager, he left Scott on the bench and only used two subs when Greece were down to 10 men and for some reason Hastie isn't the squad at all.