2019'20 Game 14: Hibernian (A)

Andy_P

5 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Behave - left to you we'd have a team of "Hammer Throwers". You really are obsessive about the physical aspect of football. He's been one of our success stories this term and long may Stephen Robinson see him in a different light to you and some others on here. He's not in the team to be physical - that's what others are there for :thumbup:

You must be disappointed in the composition of the current squad then? "Hammer throwers" like  Hartley, Gallagher, Dunne, Carroll, Tait, Donnelly, Campbell and Scott. There's a world of difference between being lightweight and a hammer thrower, as I've said repeatedly before.  No way do I want a team of hammer throwers to represent our club.  I don't want a lightweight team either for that matter. What I do want is a team physically capable of withstanding challenges and winning tackles fairly to compete. Not being lightweight does NOT mean being a dirty thug.  Its not either or.  Allan Campbell is a player that I admire, as do many others, but he is physical. He's no hammer thrower though. He doesn't shirk tackles; is hard to knock off the ball; and gets in opponents' faces.  Skill aside, another physical player in my opinion is David Turnbull. Yes, he is very talented, but he is also difficult to simply barge off the ball.  He can also put in a reasonable tackle. 

On Saturday, Hibs will present a physical challenge. We have to compete with them, but that doesn't mean kicking them off the park. It means getting in their faces, being able to hold the ball under pressure and being able to put in a hard tackle when required. 

• Haha 1

Why would I be disappointed?, you illustrated my point perfectly. There are others in the team capable of doing the "physical" work - no need to load the side with strong/physical players - all about balance. At no point did I describe any of those players as Hammer Throwers (just a wee bit of artistic licence there).

It is clearly you who is currently disappointed with the current squad and team selection.

3 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Why would I be disappointed?, you illustrated my point perfectly. There are others in the team capable of doing the "physical" work - no need to load the side with strong/physical players - all about balance. At no point did I describe any of those players as Hammer Throwers (just a wee bit of artistic licence there).

It is clearly you who is currently disappointed with the current squad and team selection.

Thats not how it works though is it. Just because the likes of Gallagher and Hartley may be physically strong at the back it doesn't follow that Polworth or our 2 wingers are strong enough to shrug off hard challenges at the other end of the pitch. We need all 11 players on the pitch to be physically strong enough to compete; strong enough to ride hard tackles and emerge with the ball. Football is a contact sport after all. Robbo himself has said that several players need to improve their upper body strength.   Agree 100% that players like Carroll, Tait, Scott and Campbell are not hammer throwers but they are physically strong. There is middle ground here.

I'm very happy with the squad - we're sitting in 4th spot after all. That doesn't mean to say though that its perfect and we can't make improvements in 1 or 2 areas.

I think the view that polworth is lightweight is unjustified. Watch him and in duels his determination shows through. Because he is at this time our most creative player and is a bit skinny people say he is lightweight but i dont get it and feel it is a lazy assumption. I have been at dalszell park a few times watching training and he has always been the best player in the games. Anyone who thinks he should be dropped is imo missing his abilities. Hibs are there for the taking as I honestly believe they could go down as their squad is not good and if they do not get going soon their fans will put so much pressure on the players i dont think they will be able to cope. 2-0 to us. 

18 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

On Saturday, Hibs will present a physical challenge. We have to compete with them, but that doesn't mean kicking them off the park. It means getting in their faces, being able to hold the ball under pressure and being able to put in a hard tackle when required. 

I too am concerned that *checks notes* Stevie Mallan, Scott Allan and Josh Vela will bully our midfield.

2 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

I too am concerned that *checks notes* Stevie Mallan, Scott Allan and Josh Vela will bully our midfield.

I've only watched Hibs versus us at Fir Park and against Celtic on TV and Hallberg coming into their midfield made a big difference so it will be a harder battle than at Fir Park.

If we swapped Donnelly and Campbell for Allan and Mallan we wouldn't win a contested ball in the midfield for the rest of the season.

Obviously I wouldn’t take both of them in the same team but in terms of footballing ability they are much better players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 minutes ago, Ross said:

I’d still take him or Allan over any of our currently fit midfielders there both x10 the players any of our midfielders are

Aye so they are, they  are that good they play for a hibs team who have been utter dross so far this season, so great players, I think not.

Aye so they are, they  are that good they play for a hibs team who have been utter dross so far this season, so great players, I think not.

Feeding the ball to players like Christian doidge isn’t going to get them great amounts of assists.If Allan went to rangers instead of Celtic he’d be one of best players in Scotland

39 minutes ago, Ross said:

Feeding the ball to players like Christian doidge isn’t going to get them great amounts of assists.If Allan went to rangers instead of Celtic he’d be one of best players in Scotland

Allan  has either signed for or been  loaned out at 11 different clubs in the last 10 years, ( 3rd spell at Hibs currently)  and in that time has scored 12 goals, so an average of just over 1 goal a year, aye the potential to be the best, stop talking pish.

Allan  has either signed for or been  loaned out at 11 different clubs in the last 10 years, ( 3rd spell at Hibs currently)  and in that time has scored 12 goals, so an average of just over 1 goal a year, aye the potential to be the best, stop talking pish.

You don’t need to be yaya toure and scoring 20 goals a season from midfield to be a good player

This won’t be easy as Hib’s will be  hoping that the new manager continues the good work Eddie May did in managing their last match.  However, if we approach the game in our normal way and ignore the occasion we have the personnel to pick up at least a point if not three.

Allan must be in his late-ish 20s and has played about 2 full seasons, one of which was in the championship. Is he injured a lot or just not as good as folk make him out to be?

Went to Celtic for the money instead of going to his boyhood club rangers and didn’t get a game

15 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Allan must be in his late-ish 20s and has played about 2 full seasons, one of which was in the championship. Is he injured a lot or just not as good as folk make him out to be?

11 clubs and only 12 goals in 10 years says it all really.....hes not as good as people think he is