2019'20 Game 14: Hibernian (A)

Andy_P

As everyone said we lost 2 bad goals 1st half however we had plenty time to remedy it which in the 2nd half we totally dominated them with attack after attack but not enough quality from 30 yards out. When ohara came on for maguire i thought he would be making runs to support our strikers but he was sat back then scott for campbell i feel was bad move as our 3 midfield wer in control then we only had 1 of them on pitch. We lost the 3rd to a predictable counter attack. We badly need a big number 9 as cole and long do most of their best work outside the box. We are not far away but lack of goal threat when we are chasing games and teams sit in against us will be our downfall i think. We also missed donnelly today as im sure he would have had some shots from outside box today as we had lot of ball there.

• Like 1

I actually thought we played quite well today.  I have seen us a lot worse at Easter Road by some distance. 

All that said I think I will stop going. Last time I think I saw us win there was v Hearts in League cup semi final. Seems that long ago.  I have not been to all games but not many if any we have actually bloody won.

Gallacher strolled it at times and was easy on the eye.  I think a draw would have been fair not least for the Polworth penalty shout. I will stand corrected when the highlights prove otherwise but it looked like a penalty at the time. 

Don't think we will make top 4 because today summed us up quite nicely. A very decent squad of players who on their day can be excellent. The problem is all of them are with Motherwell which means they have deficiencies in their game. Like midfielders that cannot defend or forward players that cannot choose the correct final ball again and again despite being in great positions. I remember one point in the second half when a ball was fired across goal by someone at a head height and at a 100 miles an hour, whereas a ball along the deck at medium pace would have resulted in Campbell tapping it into the net. Frustrating but is what it is. All we can afford most probably. 

Still play like that all season and we will finish top 6 at least. 

• Like 4

I'll see us play worse and win this season. In fact I've already seen us play worse and win!

There was a fair amount of gushing praise for Hibs on the radio heading home but personally I don't think there could have been too many arguments had we come away with a point.

What it does illustrate is how quickly a game can get away from you.  Until Hibs scored we were ahead, the better team and looking pretty comfortable with it. There was no hint that things could turn around so quickly. Some pretty poor defending it has to be said.

In the second half there was only one team in it.  It seemed a stonewaller for the challenge inside the box on Polworth and Campbell was inches away from connecting from Long's cross with an open goal ahead of him.  If either of the two had resulted in goals then suddenly all the pressure is on Hibs once again with us having the momentum.  On another day it could well have gone differently.

I've seen a few raise the point about the lack of subs, but to be honest there didn't actually appear that great a need.  I get the O'Hara for McGuire one but Hylton was still causing them problems when he went off and Seedorf offered little or nothing.  Scott I might well have put on for either of the strikers for a  bit of freshness in front of goal. I can't grumble too much at a manager trying to go for it when he did but earlier changes weren't really warranted and going for it as we did obviously left us that bit more vulnerable to a break away.

If there was a failing in the second half it was the decision making on when to have a go and when to retain possession that bit longer.  That and failing to take advantage of the numerous set pieces that came our way.

More generally I think we need to find the balance between risk and reward now that teams know we are capable of playing a half decent brand of football and want to take games to the opposition.  The theme of us being picked off, having lost possession and opposition players bearing down on us with most of our players ahead of the ball is one we seem to be getting caught with more and more.

Disappointing to lose, especially having been ahead but far from the worst performance.  A fair chance to make amends at Fir Park next Saturday.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Andy_P said:

I'll see us play worse and win this season. In fact I've already seen us play worse and win!

There was a fair amount of gushing praise for Hibs on the radio heading home but personally I don't think there could have been too many arguments had we come away with a point.

What it does illustrate is how quickly a game can get away from you.  Until Hibs scored we were ahead, the better team and looking pretty comfortable with it. There was no hint that things could turn around so quickly. Some pretty poor defending it has to be said.

In the second half there was only one team in it.  It seemed a stonewaller for the challenge inside the box on Polworth and Campbell was inches away from connecting from Long's cross with an open goal ahead of him.  If either of the two had resulted in goals then suddenly all the pressure is on Hibs once again with us having the momentum.  On another day it could well have gone differently.

I've seen a few raise the point about the lack of subs, but to be honest there didn't actually appear that great a need.  I get the O'Hara for McGuire one but Hylton was still causing them problems when he went off and Seedorf offered little or nothing.  Scott I might well have put on for either of the strikers for a  bit of freshness in front of goal. I can't grumble too much at a manager trying to go for it when he did but earlier changes weren't really warranted and going for it as we did obviously left us that bit more vulnerable to a break away.

If there was a failing in the second half it was the decision making on when to have a go and when to retain possession that bit longer.  That and failing to take advantage of the numerous set pieces that came our way.

More generally I think we need to find the balance between risk and reward now that teams know we are capable of playing a half decent brand of football and want to take games to the opposition.  The theme of us being picked off, having lost possession and opposition players bearing down on us with most of our players ahead of the ball is one we seem to be getting caught with more and more.

Disappointing to lose, especially having been ahead but far from the worst performance.  A fair chance to make amends at Fir Park next Saturday.

Cheers Andy, I always enjoy reading your summing up of a game, as it tends to be  an objective and constructive view point

• Like 2

Our formation of 4-3-3 leaves us vulnerable in the middle of the park 

We may get away with it against the so called lesser lights but when we come up against the so called better teams we are a man short in midfield 

That was the case yesterday and you cannot give the likes of Scott Allen time and space to lift his head and pick passes. Yes the first 2 goals were not great defensively but we were chasing shadows and leaving to much space down the flanks

As for our substitutions they baffle me ……… we make one every game Seedorf for Hylton  or vice versa you can bet money on it. Taking Campbell off with the game at 2-1 mystified me, yes we ended with 4 up front but instead of being a man down in midfield we ended up 2 men down.

As for Cole least said the better

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andy_P said:

That's one of the problems against a SUPPOSEDLY "big" club (Hibs are supposedly a big club). The attention was all on them and their sparkling new manager - a guy who was shown through the door marked "Do One" by Sunderland, ffs - with no mention of a reasonable performance by the opposition. We edged them on possession (51%) though it felt like more, but our 10 corners to their one shows where we let ourselves down.

It's just like watching Arsenal. That's the scary thing.

1 hour ago, wellwell91 said:

That was the case yesterday and you cannot give the likes of Scott Allen time and space to lift his head and pick passes. Yes the first 2 goals were not great defensively but we were chasing shadows and leaving to much space down the flanks

Robbo must have read some posts on here and concluded that Allan wasn't worth bothering about.  As to your second point, yes we habitually leave space on the flanks for opponents to exploit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cedric Silkyshag said:

That's one of the problems against a SUPPOSEDLY "big" club (Hibs are supposedly a big club). The attention was all on them and their sparkling new manager - a guy who was shown through the door marked "Do One" by Sunderland, ffs - with no mention of a reasonable performance by the opposition. We edged them on possession (51%) though it felt like more, but our 10 corners to their one shows where we let ourselves down.

Very unfair assessment of Ross....few StMirren fans I know really rate him....His Sunderland record wasn’t too bad , he might have still got them up

14 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

I’d still start with Scott on the right next game. Either long or Cole needs to sit out, probably Cole. 

I don't mind Scott on the right. What I don't like is that, when he plays there, Gillespie punts it to him 100% of the time he has the ball in his hands.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

I don't mind Scott on the right. What I don't like is that, when he plays there, Gillespie punts it to him 100% of the time he has the ball in his hands.

You are confused. He is actually punting to the 10th row in the crowd on the same side as Scott. Not sure what made you think he is punting it to Scott. 

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

You are confused.

Harsh. But fair.

• Haha 1

Couple questions :

This "defence that picks itself" gonna stop giving up shite goals anytime soon? As an add-on, why was Bevis benched.

Are we as big a mess up front as we seem? Feels like we are all wide players with nobody suitable for the middle. That's maybe a question for the recruiter though. Also, we appear blessed with pace but Robinson does not seem capable of setting us up well to exploit that pace. Same was true when we had the likes of Petravicous, albeit he was dugshit.

Finally, I'm getting fed up hearing the manager banging on all the time about how it's important to have players that do the fundamentals and basics right but then going on about how we didn't do the fundamentals and basics right after every defeat. That's on YOU, Robbo, get it fixed. You're being touted for some fairly highly rated jobs right now but I'm not sure you are up to the task, frankly. I feel like all the goals we are scoring from midfield are papering over some cracks right now - hopefully he gets it right before the cracks get bigger and hopefully he sorts out whatever the fuck the plan is up front because it is holding us back - yet has the potential to be a right good thing.

Maybe a target man in January might be the piece of the puzzle that sorts things out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

watched the penalty back, referee gets it right for me unfortunately. Not enough contact to go down for me, i think there was maybe a pull outside the box but once he makes it into the box he seems to go down at the very first opportunity.

Thought it was a penalty at the time but you’re correct. It was a powderpuff attempt at winning a penalty from a powderpuff midfielder imo

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2019 at 11:21 AM, Cedric Silkyshag said:

our set pieces from corners are woeful ... if the taker puts one arm up it means this will be pish, if he puts two arms up it means it will be over hit pish.

• Like 1