Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Cedric Silkyshag

We played well in spells and that was enough to see us through fairly comfortably. 

We do need a striker than can bring us up the pitch when we're under pressure like that. If no one else is coming in then Scott and Long are going to have to start rotating going through the middle during the game just to give us a different look.

Thought Donnelly played well when he came on and ideally we can get back to Donnelly, Polworth and Campbell as out midfield three again.

Glasgow BSC away please, or Ayr away.  Never been to Somerset or wherever BSC play.

Fairly routine win. Expected them to offer more and the start of the second half was what  I expected  from them from the off. We were a class above  them.  Gallagher strolled it.  Alan Campbell  was MOM for me. Hartley was their best attacker.  Hopefully  Long will sign a new deal but perversely that performance will make it more unlikely with clubs being alerted to him. Hopefully a favourable draw tomorrow. And by the way I hate  Billy Dodds.  Biased commentary throughout. Get it up you Billy. 

1 minute ago, sinjy said:

And by the way I hate  Billy Dodds.  Biased commentary throughout. Get it up you Billy. 

To be fair, we had Faddy.

I don't actually mind a biased pundit as long as there is full disclosure on what teams they support. It's when they insist they don't support a particular team it gets annoying.

Thought we looked better when Donnelly came on, but don’t get all the criticism directed at O’Hara. In the beginning of the second half when we couldn’t hold the ball for ten seconds he was the one putting his foot on the ball. It maybe looked different on the tv, or if you’ve got a predisposition to criticise him, but by no means think he’s the worst player in the team. 

• Like 3

The 7:20 kick off on a Saturday night probably helped - our support were on great form last night. Hopefully that came through on the TV. Really good atmosphere despite there only being about 14 home fans. What a massive disappointment of a home crowd from a club Dundees size. 

3 minutes ago, CoF said:

The 7:20 kick off on a Saturday night probably helped, but our support were on great form last night. Hopefully that came through on the TV. Really good atmosphere despite there only being about 14 home fans. What a massive disappointment of a home crowd from a club Dundees size. 

Watched the game on TV, you could only hear our fans and the commentary team did acknowledge that we brought a good support.

I've said enough about Seedorf in past posts, but how that footballer? even gets a place on the bench is unbelievable, it doesn't say much about the quality of the young players in the reserves, if he is the best we can offer.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him prove me wrong, but I just can't see it.

11 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

I've said enough about Seedorf in past posts, but how that footballer? even gets a place on the bench is unbelievable, it doesn't say much about the quality of the young players in the reserves, if he is the best we can offer.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see him prove me wrong, but I just can't see it.

Ive heavily criticised Seedorf in the past and was as frustrated as anyone last night with his performance. The one positive thing in his defence is that he is only 20. However, he needs to be showing some signs of improvement and at the moment there isnt much to support that.

24 minutes ago, Well Well said:

and to think MJC predicted a loss to this mob. He really is a troll.

On paper it was a difficult tie. Away to one of the better Championship teams always provides Cup shocks. A home defeat to Ross County last season should have been enough to make us very wary.  I was really surprised by how poor Dundee were. They will do well to hold on to a play off place based on last nights performance.

As for us. I should be buzzing after a 3-0 Cup away win but I found last nights game a real Jeckyl and Hyde performance. First the good: the second goal was a thing of beauty and the performances by Gallagher, Long and (IMO) man of the match Campbell were excellent.

The problem was that the good was punctuated by some poor performances and at times very disjointed play. Hartley, Seedorf and Tait particularly looked very rusty and against better opposition, I don't think we would have got away with being three players down. Defensively we were all over the place at times and Gallagher's good performance papered over a few cracks. Our shape looked all wrong at the start of the second half, with big spaces opening up for Dundee to exploit. Danny Johnston's run when he came on highlighted this perfectly. Donnelly coming on seemed to resolve this. That is not a criticism of O'Hara because I thought he played well but the balance of the side looked better when Donnelly came on. Let's hope it was rustiness after the winter break as better teams will exploit those weaknesses.

I would hope for a kind draw in the next round. We have not had the luck of the draw in recent years in either cup competition. When did we last draw anyone less than Premiership side or top half Championship side in the knock out stages? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Been a fairly typical performance from us.  Look like scoring a goal or two against lesser teams but think we've been slack at the back.  Dundee are poor but they have still managed to create a few chances that better teams might have done more with.

Very true.  Hopefully a lot of lessons to be learnt last night, both short and long term. It was a cup tie, we scored 3 goals, kept a clean sheet and deservedly progressed. Job done.  Oh and a hat trick as well. That about sums it up for me. Some other positives like Long's hat trick, and good performances by Gallagher and in the main by Campbell.  The loss of Hylton and Polworth did disrupt our play and I hope they didn't suffer anything too serious.  I'd love to hang onto Long and pair him with an experienced No 9.

Some negatives too though that should surely concern Robbo. Our defence, Gallagher apart was awful and a better team, as Ya Beezer says would have taken goals off us. From start to finish our 2 full backs gave the Dundee flankers far too much room and allowed them far too many unhindered crosses and free entry into our box (thankfully they were toothless up front). Hartley's passing was a bombscare all evening.    Gillespie had one amazing save from a short range shot that was swerving all over the place, and flapped at one cross, but in general didn't have a lot to do. His distribution was poor.  Midfield was ok in spells. Campbell played very well but  disappeared for a 20 minute spell after half time when Dundee were all over us. Donnelly helped to steady the ship when he came on. O'Hara - not a bad player but not in our team (see Captain Oats' comments on P & B). Seedorf - oh dear.  James Scott  still has a lot to learn and at the moment probably doesn't quite deserve a regular starting slot.  

We were quite clinical against a strong Dundee team (on paper), but our alarming slump in the first part of the 2nd 45 was reminiscent of the Accies game. Had Dundee scored then we would have been in serious trouble. Once we scored the 3rd goal Dundee folded. 

A good boisterous, well lubricated, support but a shocking home attendance. I'd guess unofficially we'd have just over 50% of the total attendance. Thanks to Joe Wark the Legend for arranging secure local parking for our cars. Excellent turnout from the Fife & Tayside club. Hope the East of Scotland boys had a good time last night.    

12 minutes ago, santheman said:

Donnelly does give us that physical presence in midfield and you always expect him to win any 50/50 tackle which must give the other players a boost and you could sense that when he came on last night because at that point Dundee were really in the game,

Yeah agreed, add in that he can pick out a pass and also has a great shot on him then he replaces O'Hara for me next game no question. 

On O'Hara, where he finished the game last night when Donnelly replaced is where he offers most.  He's been filling in for Donnelly but whilst he can play there it isn't where he is most effective.  But all things being equal he isn't going to be replacing Liam Polworth.  What I will say for him is that despite losing quite a number of headers to his opposite number, and whilst not necessarily having a scintillating game,  he didn't hide and continually made himself available for the ball; and when assuming Polworth's position after he went off injured made several runs that weren't picked up by his team-mates. No questioning his attitude or desire for me and perhaps a similar vein to Richard Tait last season just because he was playing left-back doesn't necessarily mean it's best position.

On Seedorf, I think I posted something along the lines of this prior to Christmas, somewhere if not here, that he looks to have lost something by not being involved as frequently as he was at the start of the season.  The wonderful goals at Palmerston, against Hibs and at Tynecastle feel a long time ago.  He really does look like he's regressing rather than improving.  It is has been said that Stephen Robinson prides himself on making players better.  It will be interesting to see if he turn Sherwin's form around in the months ahead.

On Hartley, he concerns me a good bit.  I remember an incident at Dumbarton in the League Cup where he looked so far off the pace he looked done.  For him to build on that, get back in the side and perform (largely) as well as he did deserved immense credit. But he seems to be at the stage of his career that it takes him longer and longer to be at his optimum level. And when something knocks him off kilter you are back to that cycle of taking however many games to get back to his peak again.