Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Cedric Silkyshag

On 1/27/2020 at 12:20 PM, Shaka said:

I think the BT Coverage is light years ahead of anything else up here. Sutton is a wind up merchant but he does make valid points, Craggs is probably the best pundit we have here up here and the anchor, Currie is ok. The Richard Gordon / Packie Bonner / Michael Stewart / Stephen Thompson / Billy Dodds gang are all pish and an embarassment

I think Richard Gordon generally does a very good job on Sportsound. He is knowledeable and is about as reasonable and neutral as you can hope to get in Scottish football. Yes he is an Aberdeen fan but he is balanced when  commenting on them. 

This may counteract my praise for RG but my gripe is the OF obsession on the show. I have listened to build ups for Sunday OF games the following day that superceed team news for Saturday 3pm kick offs. 

I remember once a few seasons back driving up to Aberdeen (it may have been the 2nd place end of season game) with my Dad and we had to listen to Rangers take over talk the whole way up in the car. We got out the car at 2.50pm and still had not heard the team news for our game. That was back in the Jim Traynor days ( the Airdrie fan!!!) . 

2 hours ago, Stu92 said:

It's funny, majority of my mates are Rangers fans with more than a few thinking Craggs is a terrible pundit - most likely because he has no OF affiliation to tend to.

By contrast they all rate McCoist very highly as a pundit. I think he can occasionally come across as funny/sincere, but 9 times out of 10 just sounds like an absolute muppet.

Rangers* fans that don't know what they are talking about...

Wow! Who would believe that.

*Other fans of bigoted clubs are also available.

Edited by grumpy
Thought of something else.

1 hour ago, star sail said:

I think Richard Gordon generally does a very good job on Sportsound. He is knowledeable and is about as reasonable and neutral as you can hope to get in Scottish football. Yes he is an Aberdeen fan but he is balanced when  commenting on them. 

Agree about the OF obsession but not about Richard Gordon. I won't forget his bitterness when we beat his team 1 0 at Pittodrie to nick the runners up spot. Also his continual moaning along with his sidekick Willie Miller that we wouldn't sell Louis Moult to the Dons grated with me. Was fed up with him last Saturday babbling on about Neil Lennon's tv preferences when we wanted to hear about that day's football.

5 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I think Richard Gordon is the best pundit we have. Can't blame the guy for being upset that we beat his team on the last day of the season to nick 2nd place.

Is he being paid by the BBC? Is it as a pundit and employee or as an Aberdeen fan. If its the latter hopefully Aberdeen FC is chipping in with his wages. If he's the best it really doesn't say much for the rest.

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Is he being paid by the BBC? Is it as a pundit and employee or as an Aberdeen fan. If its the latter hopefully Aberdeen FC is chipping in with his wages. If he's the best it really doesn't say much for the rest.

Do you think we are chipping in with Tam Cowan's wages?

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Do you think we are chipping in with Tam Cowan's wages?

Tam doesn't hide the fact that he's a Well fan but doesn't let that colour his views in the way that Stuart Cosgrove does for example. Stuart manages to mention St Johnstone positively in nearly every topic he discusses. Tam's not in the same league as messrs Miller and Gordon when it comes to bias.

I'm biased of course!

18 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Tam doesn't hide the fact that he's a Well fan but doesn't let that colour his views in the way that Stuart Cosgrove does for example. Stuart manages to mention St Johnstone positively in nearly every topic he discusses. Tam's not in the same league as messrs Miller and Gordon when it comes to bias.

I'm biased of course!

I seem to remember a few years back Tam Cowan being quite critical of the Well at times when he had a column, think it was in the matchday programme.

Sure I heard someone pulled him up for it at the time, either John Swinburne or Bill Dickie maybe.

2 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

I seem to remember a few years back Tam Cowan being quite critical of the Well at times when he had a column, think it was in the matchday programme.

Sure I heard someone pulled him up for it at the time, either John Swinburne or Bill Dickie maybe.

I think it was when he had his column in the Evening Times. The club response was in the match programme. To be fair, there was probably a lot more to be critical about back then and with very few outlets to do so.  Clubs were also far less used to scrutiny and criticism. These days Flow would probably invite him in for a cup of tea and an interview to put the record straight and pump it out as a club promo! Times have definitely changed for the better!

34 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm biased of course!

I don't think Richard Gordon or Willie Miller hide the fact they are Aberdeen fans either.

To be honest, I'd much rather listen to anybody talking about any non-OF club than listen to one more second about the ugly sisters. However, I just avoid it all by not listening to any of it (except for Off the Ball sometimes).

21 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

That being the case, Im not sure how folk think the club should distribute the tickets if its not through season tickets and Well Society memberships? 

think to give first shout to individuals who are affected by this specific scenario, is the preferred method...

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Hamilton Accies earlier this season? I appreciate it wasn't as big as last season but that was down to Accies controversial price hike.

Aye, it felt down compared to previous seasons there. Assuming we sell out our 1600 at St Mirren, and maybe have some overspill as well in the other stands, I can’t remember a time when we had that much. St Johnstone towards the end of the season with Higdon etc felt like a lot as well. What was the official count at Nancy?!

36 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Aye, it felt down compared to previous seasons there. Assuming we sell out our 1600 at St Mirren, and maybe have some overspill as well in the other stands, I can’t remember a time when we had that much. St Johnstone towards the end of the season with Higdon etc felt like a lot as well. What was the official count at Nancy?!

Took a decent crowd to Gretna back in the day... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6960744.stm

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Other than cup semis or finals, when was the last time we had such a big away support?

I was at the Accies game a few seasons ago (Louis Moult, 1 - 0) where we filled the away stand and had some extra in the gazebo.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ohwulliewullie said:

Between 2,000 + 2,500 in Nancy. Think we had an official allocation of 1900

7 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

So despite me trying to out smart the system, and sign up for the well society the day tickets went on sale, I still, and rightly so may I add, need to wait until Monday. So if anyone generous fans have a spare, would be VERY much appreciated.

Should have joined two years ago then ,ya chancer.

• Like 3