Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Cedric Silkyshag

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Since our return we have

Despatched Dundee easily in Cup.

Gave a gutsy battling display to win 3 points in Aberdeen.

Competed very well against an improving Hibs team and could easily have earned 3 points. 

Played shit on a plastic pitch and got what we deserved.

Went toe to toe with the treble treble winners and should have gone in at half time at least level. Ran out of steam second half and succumbed to a team far superior to us in every way.

Struggling to see where this implosion in our form is?

If we turn up on Saturday we win. And I dont just mean the team......

Failed to score in three of those five games. One good goal against Dundee, one deflection, one GK howler and at Aberdeen a set piece. 

Where are the goals coming from?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Failed to score in three of those five games. One good goal against Dundee, one deflection, one GK howler and at Aberdeen a set piece. 

Where are the goals coming from?

We are still the fourth highest scorers in the league, goals have come other areas than just the forwards. Personally I think there’s been a huge overreacted to a couple of defeats, one on the dreaded plastic pitch and the other against far and away the stand out team in Scottish football. We played well against Hibs and won the two tough games before that. We have four winnable games coming up now which will show where we are but there is nothing to suggest we are just going to collapse. As with many other posters I agree we need a central striker to play alongside Long, not sure if Watt is that player but I think we all need to remember it’s been a very good season up to this point with many positives. A top four finish and a run in the cup is better than the vast majority of supporters were expecting.

• Like 1

Not that I rate him, but we need to sign Tony Watt urgently. The one thing St Johnstone fans said about him before he left was that he isnt much of a goalscorer, but is very good at holding the ball up. We dont have anyone in the entire club who can do that job and the last 2 games especially have shown how much that hurts us. 

Every fan in the stands could see this the entire season, but Robbo seems to get aroused by fucking wingers so our strikeforce is so unbalanced. As I said in another thread, every team goes thro rough patches and players dip in and out of form, but in our case we literally have nobody who can change it, there is nobody we can bring in to change formation or give Campbell or Hylton a break to get their form back, so our only option is to keep doing exactly what we are doing and hope we get lucky

I can genuinely see us being out the cup this weekend, because I cant see where our goals are gonna come from, and St Midden will make themselves stuffy and hard to break down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yorkyred said:

We are still the fourth highest scorers in the league.

I'm not pressing a panic button. Motherwell have had a long run of good form and you have to expect there is going to be a tough period in there as well.

However saying we are the fourth highest scorers in the league is a bit like saying we are the second tallest dwarf in Scotland.

I wonder what the average goal per game in the Premiership would  be without the OF?

Most teams in the league struggle to score.  At any decent level Celtic would have conceded about 7or 8 goals since the break.

Nobody plays well at Livi - even Celtic have lost there this season. And, for all our hopes of beating them, Celtic are miles ahead of every team in Scotland in budget and quality of players. Of course we can try and compete with them 11 v 11 - and we did for periods of the game on Wednesday night - but as I said before the game, where quality makes a difference is in the percentage of changes taken. Celtic had 2 shots on target to our 3 when they were 2 - 0 ahead. That's the edge a few million quid buys you.

So, for me, neither result was particularly unexpected. More unexpected was our win in Aberdeen.

And despite that run of tough fixtures, we'll still 3 points clear in 3rd place when I was expecting Aberdeen might have overtaken us.

I still have concerns about the right combination up front, but time will tell if Aaron and Ndjoli can make a difference.

The first half was fine. It was the complete capitulation in the second half from Donnelly's transformation into a choir boy to the pathetic effort at goal kicks. The Seedorf substitution sucked the life out of the team as we are down to ten men.

Taking off the three attackers and not refreshing the midfield was bizarre. We basically gave up at 2 nil. 

I seen up until about the second goal due to training, and before that we were right in, dare I say had the better chances? Hylton had one fall to him which he snapped at, Aarons forced a save from forster which I don't think he knew much about, Campbell dragged one a bit as well in the first half.

A few times we made the wrong choice, Polworth taking aim from about 25yrds when he could have played in Long, and in the second half Long tried to take a shot from quite a wide angle and it ended up going out for a throw, it's for us fans to see these of course but those decisions are the difference celtic have with there multi million pound players.

first two goals we didn't defend well enough, 9 times out 10 Liam Donnelly wipes his man out in those situations but Mcgregor just didn't stop.

I do worry for us on Saturday as I am sure St Mirren will take encouragement from our last two performances, but let’s hope we are the wounded animal on Saturday?
mind you I see the Sun is trying to get Long suspended for a stamp on Brown in the first half, no doubt he will get a ban as everyone knows you cannot do that on Celtic player especially Brown!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

I don’t think you would be the only one GazzyB. 

Scottish football in general would be disgusted with then inconsistency of it. Surely it cannot be realistically considered. 

It would glaringly highlight how different Celtic & Rangers are treated to every other teams 

I’ve long thought that the compliance procedure should be taken out of the hands of the SFA because of this bias.

Get someone from the English FA or similar to review any incidents and pay them for an unbiased view instead of employing someone full time at Hampden who shits himself anytime Rangers or Celtic are involved because of the flak he’ll get from the media.

• Thanks 1

Just now, texanwellfan said:

So does Watt play tomorrow?  Front 3  Long, Watt and Aaron’s? Or do we got to 4-4-2? Will Watt and Long be the new Graham and Pettigrew?? 

Awaiting clearance as of early this morning. If his registration is through is there not a cup rule to exclude late signings? Is he fit?

38 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Awaiting clearance as of early this morning. If his registration is through is there not a cup rule to exclude late signings? Is he fit?

I am sure i read that he had played 18 games so far this season so he will be reasonably fit and he has trained with us for a week so should be fit enough.