Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Cedric Silkyshag

6 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

When's the draw for the quarters?

Sixth Round Draw

The draw for the Sixth Round of the William Hill Scottish Cup will take place live on Premier Sports following Sunday's Clyde v Celtic match.

that game kicks off at 2:01 pm so guess we'll know aroudn 4pm

Thought we played some good stuff today in spells. The first half was very enjoyable. An end to end cup tie with both teams going for it. We rode our luck at times defensively, bit looked dangerous going forwards and probably just about deserved our HT lead. Defo want to see the Aarons incident again. Looked a stonewall free kick. The only question was what colour card the St Mirren player would get. For Dallas not to even award a foul seemed incredible.

2nd half the weather deteriorated so badly it was hard to criticise players struggling to control and pass to each other. Both teams were equally as guilty. Thought we created the better opportunities 2nd half and the defending at their goal is really disappointing. Firstly not getting out to block the pass inside (which is an unfortunate feature of Carrolls play) and secondly not picking up the man in the box who had an age to get his shot away.  Very poor. I didnt think Gillespie could do much about it and thought he had a pretty decent game in general.

Overall, we probably should have won the game but cant really complain too much that we didnt.

Hopefully we will have enough to despatch them at Fir Park in some better weather!

Just now, santheman said:

The only thing that worried me today was the amount of times their wide players got the ball with our full backs nowhere near them.

Absolutely. From kick off to final whistle it was our achilles heel and I was shocked we never tried to sort it. It ultimately cost us the win. Both full backs had poor games.

6 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely. From kick off to final whistle it was our achilles heel and I was shocked we never tried to sort it. It ultimately cost us the win. Both full backs had poor games.

Just about to say the same. Maybe just me but as much as I like Grimmy he is very weak defensively.  Twice in the 2nd half in quick succession St Mirren put the ball across our six yard box. No takers but it was all so easy. Stop the fkin crosses or at least try to do a better job at it because it was embarrassing. 

A draw was probably fair. We maybe edged it but they seem to think they had a good penalty shout. As for the non free kick on Rolando. WTF. I stand to be corrected but that looked an appalling decision from the ref. 

Ah well 3 games in short order v St Mirren. Felt the weather was a bit of a leveller today and it is another game for Rolando and 1st appearance from Watt. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just as I thought, no coverage of Rolando's "foul", but coverage of Saints' penalty claim. Were the highlights provided by St Mirren? 

Probably the MFC TV commentary team who said on second viewing it might not have been a foul, but we got away with Hartley's hand ball. 

I thought St Mirren were really poor today. They gave Hartley all the time in the world to stroll out of defence. We should comfortably see them off at Fir Park.

Really hopeful we can avoid either arse cheek in the quarters. If so we should be very confident of making the semis.

2 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I thought St Mirren were really poor today. They gave Hartley all the time in the world to stroll out of defence. We should comfortably see them off at Fir Park.

Really hopeful we can avoid either arse cheek in the quarters. If so we should be very confident of making the semis.

Giving Hartley plenty time on the ball is a tactic most opposing teams are employing and understandably so. 

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

I agree but Gallagher was extended the same courtesy.

Hartley's passing can be a bombscare sometimes but at others he can find the feet of a player in between the opposition's defence and midfield. 

Recently he seems to "find" the opposition players feet, more than his own team mates :dash2:

The right result played out in shocking conditions. Both sides could have won and both could have lost. We played some decent stuff on the deck at times. I thought we had the better set of attackers and they had the better set of defenders. We had to work hard for our chances whereas they were afforded them fairly easily. Gillespie, in goal,  coped well in difficult conditions. Hartley did some decent things but was also a bombscare at times with his passing. Thank goodness for Gallagher yesterday he held what defence we had together. Thought too that our midfield was just outbattled, although O'Hara had a great game, maybe his best game since joining us. Aarons looks to be a very good player and I'm looking forward to him getting fully match fit. The others will have better days and were all too often caught on the ball by opponents swarming around them in numbers.  The conditions weren't to Polworth's liking.  A bit puzzled by Campbell coming on to replace Aarons as I thought that signalled our intention to sit on our lead and decreased what little width we had. Tony Watt can't be far away from match fitness and his presence will help us to freshen up a tiring squad.

All in all a good cup tie although it was sad to see so many vacant seats when others were denied entry. My final word: the steak pies were tasteless; too much pastry and not enough meat; not a patch on their FP counterparts! 

1 minute ago, wellowell said:

Is their any amateur refs out there who can confirm that there is an actual rule that allows them to reverse a throw in to opposing team if you take too long over a shy as I have certainly never seen that before .

Yip that’s what I thought at the time  Dallas had just made up a new rule

He’s actually a worse ref than his faither if that’s at all possible 

1 minute ago, Ross said:

Did it not look like empty seats because there was more people standing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think he’s talking about the St Mirren end

Just under 5000 in a stadium that holds over 8000

Crazy that St Mirren could not give Motherwell more tickets if they could have sold them

• Like 1

That was a mistake there never meant to repost sorry . They announced crowd as just over 4300 so as holds about 8300 I think 4000 short of capacity .Behind other goal was empty and Celtic/Rangers always get that so pretty poor from St Mirren not allowing more tickets as could have sold their 2 stands 1st which would have still not sold out then gave us other 1  to use . 

Just now, wellowell said:

That was a mistake there never meant to repost sorry . They announced crowd as just over 4300 so as holds about 8300 I think 4000 short of capacity .Behind other goal was empty and Celtic/Rangers always get that so pretty poor from St Mirren not allowing more tickets as could have sold their 2 stands 1st which would have still not sold out then gave us other 1  to use . 

Capacity is 7900

4 hours ago, ropy said:

Second week in a row that we have conceded as a substitute runs on to the park

I noticed that myself and you can actually expand on it too in relatively recent games.

We also conceded within 5 minutes of the double change against Celtic in midweek and within 3 minutes of the change against Hamilton at the turn of the year.  So that would be five games since 31st December we've conceded within 5 minutes of making a change.  You can argue that the momentum was already with the opposition, it is coincidental, is just bad luck etc. but there must come a point where organisation, lack of awareness of intended shape and comes into play if that continues to be a trend.

It should also be noted of course that the change at Ross County in introducing Ross MacIver had a positive outcome when he equalised within a few minutes of coming on, the kind of positive impact that Robinson's changes often seemed to have earlier in his reign.

14 hours ago, santheman said:

The only thing that worried me today was the amount of times their wide players got the ball with our full backs nowhere near them.

I point this out ever single game we play. Grimshaw always tries to tuck in and always, and I mean every single game, leaves their winger no matter what team with hundreds of room. They invariable always have plenty of time to receive the ball, turn and run at our defence. Dont know how many times Gallagher has had to come out and cover for Grimmy

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

I point this out ever single game we play. Grimshaw always tries to tuck in and always, and I mean every single game, leaves their winger no matter what team with hundreds of room. They invariable always have plenty of time to receive the ball, turn and run at our defence. Dont know how many times Gallagher has had to come out and cover for Grimmy

Even from the poor vantage point of the North Stand we could see Saints defenders and central midfielders about to hit balls to their wide men. You could anticipate their moves well in advance. That allowed them to run at our defence as you say. Gallagher had to do the job of 2 men at times.