Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Cedric Silkyshag

36 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I don't disagree, but it's hard to find any kind of quality that's available in January. Especially for free.

Never mind January the recruitment during the summer was pathetic .This performance was long overdue anybody who thinks we have played great football to get to where we are at the moment is really kidding themselves on and if we don't win on Saturday then we really have a crisis on our hands 

• Like 1

Just back in the door and I am drained after all that. However I am also surprisingly upbeat and I am actually in a more positive mood even though we lost on penalties.

I am not a defeatist more a realist and figure even if we did manage to beat Aberdeen or Killie to make the semi (and that is a big if) we would probably meet one of the old firm and this team certainly would not be capable of beating either of them at Hampden. So lost revenue yes, but would rather finish top 4 even if that looks unlikely after tonight. 

I like everybody was livid at HT. Awful performance and I thought our season was over as if we played like that again we would never win another game this season and be lucky to stay top 6. In some ways not a surprise as when I heard the line up and heard Mugabi and McIver starting I was worried. I like Hartley. But he was not good enough to get in the team last season and he was really poor tonight. Mugabi is little better. In some ways a performance like that will maybe help make the Manager see sense and takes appropriate steps. Donnelly did better at centre half than either of our starting centre half’s. I am afraid Hartleys time is up with us. 

I thought Watt came on to a game and did not hide and took his goal well. So that is a positive. I also though O’Hara was very good when he came on and I would have probably started him. Tait also had a good game. Would like to see him keep his place in the side. Shame to hear that Caroll looks to have a sore one and will be out for a while. 

I also think had Caroll not gone of injured he would have taken a penalty. I think we all knew Hylton would likely miss....

Disappointed but in a better frame mind than at HT. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways in the league and try and finish this season positively. 

• Like 2

Where to start with that?

I was concerned when I saw the team selection, with Gallagher missing and O'Hara inexplicably dropped to the bench it didnt bode well.

Tactically it was clear after about 15 mins that the 4-3-3 was again failing us. Our midfield was being overun and as a result our already shaky defence was cruelly exposed time after time. It was crying out for an extra man in midfield. It shouldnt have taken until we were 4-1 down and a defender off injured for the manager to have made the change.  An absolutely shocking first half all round.

Having criticised the manager, credit where its due for the bold changes made at half time. O'Hara was an absolute standout in midfield and his performance allowed everyone around him to raise their game. Donnelly looked far more assured at centre half and Tait looked back to his old self. Even Grimshaw looked far more comfortable playing in front of him.

It really was a rousing comeback, so credit to the manager and the players for rolling their sleeves up and not chucking it at half time. You dont get that kind of reaction if the manager has lost the dressing room.

Unfortunately it just wasnt enough in the end.

For those slating the players for missing penalties. Maybe spare a thought for the fact that most had played 120 mins on a heavy pitch and could barely walk let alone keep their composure to slot one away. Yes they are professionals, and yes they should do better, but there were mitigating factors.

Hope the manager is now clearer about which players he can trust and those he cant now in certain positions and he might be considering a change away from 4-3-3 when the opposition dictates it is necessary.

Saturday could be interesting.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Penalties are a lottery. Shame we couldn’t complete the comeback and get the win, but we deserved what we got after that horrendous start. Hopefully we’ve learned a few things and can pick our season back up this weekend. 

Pens may be a lottery but having just watched  the highlights our penalties were feckin brutal, Donnelly had no pace on the ball and as for Watt and Hylton , the less said about their attempts the better.

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Pens may be a lottery but having just watched  the highlights our penalties were feckin brutal, Donnelly had no pace on the ball and as for Watt and Hylton , the less said about their attempts the better.

Agree 100%, full of admiration for the comeback, appreciate that a lot of the players were shattered but I cant accept the poor quality of the penalties.  Short run ups are always a disaster waiting and fact 2 didnt even test the keeper even worse. Whole East Stand knew what to expect when Hylton stepped up, harsh but true

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Where to start with that?

I was concerned when I saw the team selection, with Gallagher missing and O'Hara inexplicably dropped to the bench it didnt bode well.

Tactically it was clear after about 15 mins that the 4-3-3 was again failing us. Our midfield was being overun and as a result our already shaky defence was cruelly exposed time after time. It was crying out for an extra man in midfield. It shouldnt have taken until we were 4-1 down and a defender off injured for the manager to have made the change.  An absolutely shocking first half all round.

Having criticised the manager, credit where its due for the bold changes made at half time. O'Hara was an absolute standout in midfield and his performance allowed everyone around him to raise their game. Donnelly looked far more assured at centre half and Tait looked back to his old self. Even Grimshaw looked far more comfortable playing in front of him.

It really was a rousing comeback, so credit to the manager and the players for rolling their sleeves up and not chucking it at half time. You dont get that kind of reaction if the manager has lost the dressing room.

Unfortunately it just wasnt enough in the end.

For those slating the players for missing penalties. Maybe spare a thought for the fact that most had played 120 mins on a heavy pitch and could barely walk let alone keep their composure to slot one away. Yes they are professionals, and yes they should do better, but there were mitigating factors.

Hope the manager is now clearer about which players he can trust and those he cant now in certain positions and he might be considering a change away from 4-3-3 when the opposition dictates it is necessary.

Saturday could be interesting.

I dont think the manager deserves anything but an absolute slating! He said in his Interview he could see it wasnt happening and that we were really struggling after 20 odd minutes and WAS going to change it but didnt. Changing it at 1-1 is a lot different than changing it at 1-4. He left it too late! The "comeback" was nothing but luck, St Midden sat in trying to defend a huge lead and we scored a big deflection and 2 fluke crosses. Even in games like last night we are needing opposition defensive howlers to score

• Like 4

7 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Penalties are a lottery. 

Our penalty shoot out record is absolutely fucking abysmal.

Just off the top of my head we've lost to St. Mirren, Stranraer, Ross County, Hamilton, Hibs, Alloa Athletic....

The only one I actually remember us winning was when we won the cup.

So I make 1-6 unless I've forgotten some.

8 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Just off the top of my head we've lost to St. Mirren, Stranraer, Ross County, Hamilton, Hibs, Alloa Athletic....

We beat Inverness CaleyThistle at Fir Park on pens in early John Boyle era. Finished that game with nine men, Billy Davies and Brian Martin sent off. 

• Thanks 1

A terrible first half performace, and a much improved second half performance....a real game of two halfs. I think Robinson will admit he got it wrong in the first half, Shaka mentioned he noticed after 20 minutes it had to change, and it probably did but the equaliser on 27 minutes probably gave him enough hope that we could see it out til at least half time before rolling the dice. I don't think anyone in the ground would have expected us to go in 4-1 down at that point. 

Maciver left to mark Obika at the back post is criminal. 

Donnelly was very good at centre back, him and Gallagher could really work well there. O'hara getting dropped was bizarre in the first place but what a difference he made when he came on, he was class. Allan Campbell was missing in the first half but so were most, MUCH better in the second half, considering Watt was chucked in due to injuries i was very impressed with him, never stopped running, him and Long up top together has to be a go'er. Aarons, similar to Campbell was much better in the second half. I thought Polworth was one of the only interested well players in the first half, tried to do things a bit quicker than the rest. Tait was very good when he came on, going forward and even more so defensively.

a very frustrating but weirdly enjoyable game, we could actually have won it in normal time, legs were completely gone in extra time and penalties is a lottery. A cup run would have been nice but maybe the extra time off for some players is required, personally i'd rather concentrate on finishing as high up the league as possible. I think Robinson and the players can take a lot from the fight in the second half. We are/were in a rut and hopefully that 45 minutes can build some confidence before four massive games.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Won one away against Raith as well, Goram in goal.

I don't have a problem with a penalty being saved as for the most part, even a decent one is just a different guess away from being saved, but I've said for years that if you're a professional footballer and you can't stand 12 yards away from the side of a van, and hit it with a ball, that's a weeks wages.

• Thanks 1

Of all the question marks about our set up last night the main one for me is why the manager in Gallagher's absence played Mugabi--- a player who had repeatedly shown an inability to perform at premier League level. Instead imho he could easily have played Donnelly ( who he recruited as a central defender) alongside Hartley with O' Hara taking Donnelly's place in midfield.

Donnelly and O'Hara's second half performances justify this view I feel.

On a separate point and as part mitigation for Hartley's showing, I feel he had to spend a fair bulk of the first half ' nursemaiding' Mugabi--- rather than concentrating on his own game.

Will be a real test of Robinson and the team to recover from last night. 

Fingers crossed.

43 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

A terrible first half performace, and a much improved second half performance....a real game of two halfs. I think Robinson will admit he got it wrong in the first half, Shaka mentioned he noticed after 20 minutes it had to change, and it probably did but the equaliser on 27 minutes probably gave him enough hope that we could see it out til at least half time before rolling the dice. I don't think anyone in the ground would have expected us to go in 4-1 down at that point. 

Maciver left to mark Obika at the back post is criminal. 

Donnelly was very good at centre back, him and Gallagher could really work well there. O'hara getting dropped was bizarre in the first place but what a difference he made when he came on, he was class. Allan Campbell was missing in the first half but so were most, MUCH better in the second half, considering Watt was chucked in due to injuries i was very impressed with him, never stopped running, him and Long up top together has to be a go'er. Aarons, similar to Campbell was much better in the second half. I thought Polworth was one of the only interested well players in the first half, tried to do things a bit quicker than the rest. Tait was very good when he came on, going forward and even more so defensively.

a very frustrating but weirdly enjoyable game, we could actually have won it in normal time, legs were completely gone in extra time and penalties is a lottery. A cup run would have been nice but maybe the extra time off for some players is required, personally i'd rather concentrate on finishing as high up the league as possible. I think Robinson and the players can take a lot from the fight in the second half. We are/were in a rut and hopefully that 45 minutes can build some confidence before four massive games.

Said it in an earlier post ……

Gallacher  Donnelly  Dunne  as a back 3 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

No we lost to them in 1995-96 on penalties. No-one can say that our penalty record isn't consistent.

No we didn't. According to soccerbass we beat them on penalties after a 1-1 draw. We eventually went out to Aberdeen in the Quarter Finals.