Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Cedric Silkyshag

6 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

It falls on Robinson, sure, but Robinson would have probably taken a better penalty than most of our guys last night which was what it came down to.

The standard of performance in the first half last night was down to individuals.  The manager can't account for 11 players going into a cup replay and putting in a performance that would shame amateurs.

Ultimately Robinson can take blame for formation, team selection and transfers but our defeat last night was due to stinking performances not managerial decisions.

The changes made by the manager at half time worked.  That should be a tick for Robinson but you can't blame him for 4 goals conceded in the first half or the penalty shoot out, they are both out with the managers control.

Robinson is going to come under scrutiny after last night because it's now obvious that we need to make tactical and selection changes and the 4-3-3 has run it's course, at least  as a default with the players currently available, but let's not pretend that anyone would have picked a radically different side from the available players last night or that a HT scoreline of 1-4 was entirely predictable.

I think Robinson has been poor at times over his reign, mainly due too his tactical inflexibility and a loyalty to jobbers but we've only really had two real failures this season, the League Cup exit to Hearts and the Scottish Cup exit last night.

The reaction after the League Cup was good.  I can't tell you how we react to the latest set back but that's what Robinson should be judged on and I'll state it again.  If all we do this season is finish Top 6, that will be a good effort with the players available.

I dont agree with that. First half he said himself that he could see we were struggling and needed to change it. In the time he was building up the courage to do something we went from 1-1  game on, to 1-4 game over! Also the amount of space St Mirren were exploiting out wide is his fault. His tactics were sending the full backs higher and as they are defensively poor we were getting ridden. St Mirren played the exact same formation so their tactics shouldnt have been a surprise. Also he dropped O'Hara from mid when he has looked our best midfielder. 

Yes he cant legislate for 11 players having a fucking nightmare, but he had plenty more he was culpable for

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Our penalty shoot out record is absolutely fucking abysmal.

Just off the top of my head we've lost to St. Mirren, Stranraer, Ross County, Hamilton, Hibs, Alloa Athletic....

The only one I actually remember us winning was when we won the cup.

So I make 1-6 unless I've forgotten some.

Forfar?

7 hours ago, Yodo said:

So is Robinson blameless for last nights fiasco,he picks the team signs the players and before anybody says but look where we are in the league our only chance of winning anything is one of the cups but yet again Robinson fucked up 

“ But look where we are in the league” The judgement on this season will come when it ends. For every time  he’s “Fucked up” as you put it, he’s got it right two or three times over. So start of the season the average supporter would have snapped your hand off for a top six finish and probably thought that was a long shot, I would be very surprised if we finish outside the top six as it stands. Robinson certainly got it wrong last night, don’t disagree with that but it’s all about a balanced view over the season.

5 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Away from the game I found it very concerning to see trouble yet again before a game.  One of these days someone innocent is going to get hurt. Also for 2nd game in row I had folk in queue going in absolutely steaming yet somehow were allowed in.  The vast majority of our fans are magic but there is an element that concerns me and just seem hell bent in ruining our clubs name.    If you are not interested in supporting our great club then stay away.....COYW

Not interested in supporting our great club? Don’t know how you come to that conclusion :dontknow: certainly suggests you’re tapping into something you have little knowledge of.

For the record, our lot became involved as innocent fans were being targeted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We had one in the 2nd half.

He was wearing no52.

If the manager had picked him to start with you have to wonder if the first half would have been quite so desperate.

If family from down south who come to the odd game. Here before christmas and said is that the same team I watched before ? 
Then followed it up with why the hell wasnt no 52 on from the start he’s totally changed the team 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ropy said:

And again, Europe is on!

I don't think there is many English non league players with European experience we could sign to help with our European venture. I hope we do qualify for Europe for the fans sake nothing beats an away trip but to go into a competition with this squad of players will on cause the club great embarrassment,maybe better staying away .

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Right now I'd say that O'Hara is our best midfielder and should be an automatic pick. I thought Polworth had a good game throughout last night although his set pieces were poor. I'd move Donnelly back into defence. Campbell looks burnt out and badly needs 2/3 weeks rest. Could young Dean Cornelius come in and do a job now, if only from the bench? We'll certainly need someone to put the shackles on Gogic on Saturday. Unfortunately Jamie Semple is injured.

To answer Fizoxy's question about young defenders I don't know. Certainly we have immediate short term defensive problems.  Maguire is returning from injury and may be fit but can he step up to play in midfield or central defence? Does Robbo rate him?  David Devine is on loan at QoS could he be recalled? Hussain is rated I think but is he ready to step up now? Maybe someone with a knowledge of the youth team could offer us some informed opinions on this. 

speaking of Gogic, out of contract in the summer, he does that role in front of the defence very well. The other Hamilton player i wouldn't mind looking at is Okgmpoe. A classic target man type striker, not sure on his contract situation.

3 hours ago, Yodo said:

I don't think there is many English non league players with European experience we could sign to help with our European venture. I hope we do qualify for Europe for the fans sake nothing beats an away trip but to go into a competition with this squad of players will on cause the club great embarrassment,maybe better staying away .

Aye, much better we finish 8th and learn to know our place. We don't need all that extra UEFA money we'd get even if we lost in the Preliminary round.

"maybe better staying away" might be worth trying yourself, though - just to save great embarrassment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Aye, much better we finish 8th and learn to know our place. We don't need all that extra UEFA money we'd get even if we lost in the Preliminary round.

"maybe better staying away" might be worth trying yourself, though - just to save great embarrassment.

I think I would miss the League Cup, Stranraer in my shorts

4 minutes ago, ropy said:

I think I would miss the League Cup, Stranraer in my shorts

Even post-Brexit, I think you'll be allowed to travel to Stranraer any time you like.

You will, however, be required to wear nylon socks and sandals with the shorts,

• 2 weeks later...

I assume Rangers going out is not ideal from our perspective? Cannot stop myself from being quite pleased about it, even if it is Hearts that did for them. Also found myself following the St Mirren Aberdeen game. Happy enough with the result. Never really had much time for St Mirren and the last couple of results have just confirmed that.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Finishing 3rd is entirely in our own hands. If it ends up that we need to rely on others, we can have no complaints. 

We're diabolical at the moment and haven't won in 8 games, of course we need to rely on other teams :lol:

41 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

We're diabolical at the moment and haven't won in 8 games, of course we need to rely on other teams :lol:

Quite possibly. But then it won't be "just our luck if we finish 4th and one of the Edinburgh teams win the bloody thing" it will be "we missed out because we were diabolical".

18 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Quite possibly. But then it won't be "just our luck if we finish 4th and one of the Edinburgh teams win the bloody thing" it will be "we missed out because we were diabolical".

And if Celtic win the cup and we finish 4th we will have had to rely on other teams, because we were diabolical :)

Given the fact we have been utter garbage since the new year  yet we are still a point clear in 3rd place, yes the likes of Hibs and Livi have closed the Gap but our main Rivals Aberdeen  are also dross.  So a 3rd place finish is entirely in our own hands, then its irrelevant who wins the cup.

That said the ideal scenario would be us 3rd then Hearts or Hibs winning the cup to get it right round Lennon as well as McInnes and Aberdeen  :yes: