Scottish Cup 2019 - 2020

Cedric Silkyshag

I think the problem with Hartley is that he is an old style blood and snotters centre half and was suited to the way we played before. He is far less comfortable with the ball at his feet and passing it out from the back as we do now. The injuries have taken out whatever pace he had left so he is left looking vulernable when pressed high one on one.

He does however offer good experience and  organisational skills and a serious goal threat at set pieces.

Mugabi doesnt offer all of those things as yet so do you stick or twist?

4 hours ago, Well Well said:

and to think MJC predicted a loss to this mob. He really is a troll.

MJC predicts a loss every week against every mob. He became a parody of himself years ago and I'm surprised he still bothers making the effort.

28 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think the problem with Hartley is that he is an old style blood and snotters centre half and was suited to the way we played before. He is far less comfortable with the ball at his feet and passing it out from the back as we do now. The injuries have taken out whatever pace he had left so he is left looking vulernable when pressed high one on one.

He does however offer good experience and  organisational skills and a serious goal threat at set pieces.

I too couldn't understand why Hartley kept going for the world-cuppy pass last night. Shouldn't be too difficult to manage his strengths and weaknesses. As Stephen Robinson often says, (paraphrasing here) - find what you're good at and do it well. Hartley just needs to be the guy who wins the ball and gets it to the nearest player in claret and amber so that they can then do the fancy stuff. Unlike Gallagher who will stroll past 3 players in his own 6 yard box, if Hartley is under pressure, his team mates needs to make themselves available. It seems like an easy fix. 

39 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

If Hartley keeps it simple and just passes to the player next to him, he does OK, and he does bring organisational and motivational qualities to the side. It's when he tries to do a Gallagher diagonal pass or long ball up the touchline he runs into trouble.

4 hours ago, weeyin said:

If Hartley keeps it simple and just passes to the player next to him, he does OK, and he does bring organisational and motivational qualities to the side. It's when he tries to do a Gallagher diagonal pass or long ball up the touchline he runs into trouble.

Over the years central defenders and central midfielders knocked the ball wide to Hammell, maybe Carroll needs to make himself more available. 

30 minutes ago, ropy said:

Over the years central defenders and central midfielders knocked the ball wide to Hammell, maybe Carroll needs to make himself more available. 

I think Donnelly has been Hartley's outball recently, which is why he might have struggled a bit yesterday.

28 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thats about it. Another away tie against Premiership opposition. It would've been nice to get an easier team for once.

Home tie would have been nice.......but realistically siting third in the league with aspirations of staying there

St Midden away is a cracking draw........they play on grass...... £6.40 return on the train.......avoided the ugly sisters/sheep/Edinburg....etc