2019'20 Game 15: St Johnstone (H)

Andy_P

May as well start with the good bit.  Really good goal for the fourth with good set up play from Scott and O'Hara and a really nice finish from Manzinga.

Otherwise we were lucky today that we were playing a team that looked like it thinks it's relegated already.

At times St Johnstone dominated in terms of possession but never looked like troubling us.  Even when they were pinging the ball around there was a whiff of the defeated about them.  I said at the time that any team that hadn't scored against us after the extraordinary poor level of our performance in the first 25 minutes was going to lose and so it transpired. The first three goals we scored were down to shocking defending from St Johnstone.  I'm certain Tommy Wright will be furious at defending crosses and corners in the way they did.  The ugly nature of our goals kind of summed up the match in general.

The team deserves some credit for taking it's chances but today underlined that you don't need to be good to win and in this case handsomely.

29 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Otherwise we were lucky today that we were playing a team that looked like it thinks it's relegated already

On the other hand, you might say that doing enough to win against 4 - 0 against a team that has 8 points from their last 5 games (won 2, drawn 2, lost 1)  is ok.

St J had some good play without making  more than a couple of half chances. We did well to stay patient before the first goal when they were pressing us and hoping to hit on the counter. It took a bit of skill from hylton and an excellent cross to cole to break the deadlock, and that pretty much sealed the result as it scuppered their game plan.

Polworth put in some excellent deliveries today for some well worked corners, and we looked dangerous at every one, including the two goals. and the save in the first half.

We got complacent for a while at 2-0, with scott making some bad decisions in defense, but we recovered well and he put in an excellent ball to O’Hara for the 4th.

St johnstone could be in danger since they have that “too good to go down” air about them. 

Strange one today, for first 25 mins I had assumed it was the players Christmas party last night as they were so off the pace. We at least improved and a 4-0 win always good though saints were poor. Also imagine if we had a front line of long and skippy!! 'Carlsberg dont do grumpy forward lines....but if they did..COYW

We can't complain at 4-0 - 4 different scorers and a clean sheet. Well short of our best, but the performance was good enough to win. St Johnstone were very poor but you can only beat the team in front of you. We did however give Saints a bit too much freedom at times and they had a chance or two; generosity that a better side would have gleefully taken advantage of.  Still think we need an out and out striker though.

All in all a good day's work especially since our rivals dropped points.

12 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Polworth as he showed at Easter road is a luxury we can't afford in the team his work rate is zero .Yip hits a great corner can play a pass but first twenty minutes and only when the third goal went did he show after being utter dross 

He’s had some good games but not today. Only knew he was playing cause he took the corners. Hopefully he will get back on form and have a few good performances against St Mirren and Hearts which are good opportunities for us to pick up some points 

Robinson mentioned that there was an illness going through the squad, so that might explain some things.

Polwarth is going to be our leader in assists by a crazy margin come the end of the season, and probably right up there with the highest in the league, he’s a good player. 

• Like 2

I can't remember an easier win against the Tractor Boys for years and years. Defensively there are usually "robust" and "streetwise" but they were pretty poor in the air and  looked a whipped team by the end. Tommy W will be worried.

Thought our play out of defence was poor in the first half, with simply not enough movement from midfield and the forwards but a wee bit of skill from Hylton made the difference for the cross to Cole. Hartley went early for Polworth's corner but seemed to jouk round the back and readjust for  the regulation "bullet header" but would have to see it again to be sure.

Really enjoyed the last goal: O'Hara's head flick was excellent and an amazingly cool finish from Christy Manzinga, walking anagram and potential Moultenator II.

39 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Polworth as he showed at Easter road is a luxury we can't afford in the team his work rate is zero .Yip hits a great corner can play a pass but first twenty minutes and only when the third goal went did he show after being utter dross 

He’s got the most assists by a country mile, probably up there with the highest of anyone in the entire league ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yorkyred said:

He’s got the most assists by a country mile, probably up there with the highest of anyone in the entire league ?

Yip he assisted Hibs well last week would have been as well sitting beside us in the Easter road stand . As I have said before he is an Ian Vigurs clone good player but one lazy bastard did nothing but hit corners today 

10 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Yip he assisted Hibs well last week would have been as well sitting beside us in the Easter road stand . As I have said before he is an Ian Vigurs clone good player but one lazy bastard did nothing but hit corners today 

he has 10 assists it said on radio today. if you think thats not gd enough then i dont know what you want. boys a player

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Sigh.  In half a season he's already contributed ten times more than Vigurs ever did, in my opinion.

Terrible winning 4-0 when not playing great, innit? Must really piss you off.

An unlikely final score, that's for sure!

I thought we were pretty awful to begin with as we struggled to create anything. Our distribution at times was atrocious which allied to Saints pressing us quite high up the park lead to possession being lost far too easily.  They seemed quite lively initially but not taking advantage of our sluggish start cost them when finally we began to offer something going forward.

The goal when it came was well created by Hylton and executed by Cole, and only an excellent save prevented Hartley from doubling the advantage before the break.

I'm not sure I'd say we were fortunate to be leading at half-time but I think everyone realised that whilst we probably wouldn't get away with level that of performance for the full ninety minutes.

It was pleasing then to see just how up for it the team were when when the game recommenced. St Johnstone never got a sniff of it until we'd doubled our lead. 

They got far too much of a sniff of things thereafter for my liking. Perhaps understandable that we might want to sit consolidate on what we had but we retreated a little too deep too often and put pressure on ourselves by failing to clear our lines as well as we might.  That said we dealt pretty comfortably with all they could muster.

The third came at just a the right time to knock the stuffing out them and the fourth the icing on the cake with a great build up and very composted and accurate finish from the debutant.

With the results elsewhere it has proven to be a very productive afternoon's work.  Eleven clear of seventh place as we exit November is excellent work in anyone's book.  Important to build on that further in midweek before we face our second capital style "new manager bounce" in recent weeks.

Just as an aside, looking at statbunker (which seems pretty accurate) Polworth and James Forrest are tied top of the league in assists. Polworth edges Forrest out when it comes to percentages, though, as his assists have contributed to 24% of our total goals this season compared to Forrest's 16%.

That's my kind of luxury player.

• Like 3

It must be shite being Liam Polworth. Leading goal assists in the league with Caley every season by a mile, with 1 or 2 goals of his own thrown in too, only to be moaned at because he often LOOKED Sad  & didnt like tackling much and now has something like 3 goals and 12 assists in 18 games for Us and is branded a lazy bastard luxury player we dont need. Mental

• Like 2