2019 ‘20 game 16 St Mirren (A) Dec. 4th

texanwellfan

Post match comments from the manager:
Motherwell manager Stephen Robinson: "We got back to keeping clean sheets and were a real threat going forward. Every time we attacked we looked like we were causing them problems. 

"St Mirren are a very difficult team to break down. They've only lost two games here. They don't concede many goals. So for us to create that many chances and open them up that often shows the level of our performance."

35 minutes ago, Welldaft Mk1 said:

The secret clearly is to be fairly shite for 20 minutes at the start of each game and then win them by 3 or 4 goals. We seemed to have found a great strategy. Sadly the better sides will not be so hospitable. 

Chances are we will play Hearts with a new Manager so a much stronger start will be required on Saturday. 

Great result all the same and pleased for Scott. He has his critics but I rate him highly and think he is a better option to start v Long. 

Shame the h**s bottled it or we would be 3rd tonight. Credit to the Manager and players. 

Beat Hearts on Saturday and I reckon top 6 is ours. But given current form we should be aiming for 4th as Hibs have had their mini purple patch. 

Good times....

Heard on the radio that Austen will be the manager at the weekend although who knows for sure.

Agree with you on a couple of things.  We started really poor again tonight and while we can do that against bottom of the league teams with powder puff attacks we won't get away with it indefinitely.

I also rate Scott and think he should be starting.  He's a kid learning the game and you have to expect mistakes, decision making is something you get with experience, but what he does do is he always looks to carry the ball forward, has better technical ability than most of the team and is capable of doing that little something special on occasion.  We were toiling before he produced an excellent opening goal and that turned the match around.  

Overall I think the balance of the team is much better when we have Scott wide and play Cole upfront and leave Long on the bench.

On the other hand while it looks good now things can change quickly so I think it's a bit premature to think Top 6 is a certainty.  We have tougher matches coming up - the Ross County match will be important in that regard.

11 minutes ago, siebsbarmyarmy said:

There are Polworth haters......??? 

Crazy talk if so. Guy is different class. What goes unnoticed is his work rate. Never stops and covers some ground. 

Top player. 

Let’s face it this is Motherwell FC. There would b Messi haters amongst our fans if he played for us. 
Polworth had the same at ICT. For some fans he was their best player by a distance. For others a lazy so and so.

I think it is his languid style and the fact he does lose the ball and seem quite lightweight at times but by god his plus points heavily outweigh any negatives. Best creater of chances I have seen at Fir Park in ages and one of the best passers of a ball too. His assist come the end of the season will be obscene. He has been a fantastic signing. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, real dosser said:

Hope all the Polworth haters on here are watching and see the ball he plays through for the second goal. That's why he gets picked to play in the midfield. 

Already been said that Campbell, Polwoth and Donnelly were crap but from where I was sitting Campbell scored, Polworth made the second and Donnelly did what he is supposed to do in the middle of the park. Hope the crap continues!!!!!!!! 

COYW

totally agree. our midfield won us game tonight. they were up for it until we scored and game was even until then. when donnelly started getting more of ball and polworths pass for 2nd is what he does. campbell was supporting forwards as ever. this we were crap on saturday and tonight till we scored is a lot of crap imo. as i have said many times on here there is nothing between most teams hence the start of last 2 games. there is no way we will dominate a team for 90 mins even celtic who have won every trophy for last 3 years dont do it. last 2 games 7-0 aggregate hope it continues!

A good all round showing. Scott has the skill and confidence to run at a defence and is starting to show a calmness that will see him score more goals. 3-0 against a characteristically stuffy St Mirren is not at all shabby but I think we will need to be harder in the middle against Hearts. Our pace up front and willingness to take on a man will cause them problems too and going a goal in front early will see their confidence(the little the have left) evaporate. 

3 players I said we should’ve dropped were all outstanding tonight. However, I did think it was a good idea to bring in Mugabi which happened and was superb and rightly so has his own chant now. Great team performance and Hylton was absolutely immense and seems to be forming a good partnership with Carroll now. 

Very solid performance after a slow start. Defensively we were very good and limited St Mirren to very few chances over 90 minutes. No doubt James Scott turned the game in our favour and the whole team grew in confidence because of that. We managed the game very well in the 2nd half and should have scored more. 

3 hours ago, real dosser said:

Hope all the Polworth haters on here are watching and see the ball he plays through for the second goal. That's why he gets picked to play in the midfield. 

Already been said that Campbell, Polwoth and Donnelly were crap but from where I was sitting Campbell scored, Polworth made the second and Donnelly did what he is supposed to do in the middle of the park. Hope the crap continues!!!!!!!! 

COYW

also didn't know folk "hated" Polworth,

7 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

also didn't know folk "hated" Polworth,

Thats news to me too; probably a bit of overreaction on the boards.  He's curently playing well that much is clear but I still have the impression he's a bit lightweight - hope he proves me wrong in the coming months.  Whatever he's certainly got skill and is not in any way lazy. We have a game against Sevco coming up and that will be a test of whether he can turn it on against one of the better sides in the league.  That in itself won't decisively prove anything but will be an indicator.

A pleasing performance last night and, in the eyes of some, Robbo's seemingly odd decision to sign yet another central defender was vindicated. Two clean sheets in our last 2 games and 5 goals scored is good going so credit to the management and all the players involved. Encouraging to see 2 of our Academy graduates score the goals.  We're now in a strong league position and that will give the whole club certainty going forward in terms of contract renewals and the like.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Thats news to me too; probably a bit of overreaction on the boards.  He's curently playing well that much is clear but I still have the impression he's a bit lightweight - hope he proves me wrong in the coming months.  Whatever he's certainly got skill and is not in any way lazy. We have a game against Sevco coming up and that will be a test of whether he can turn it on against one of the better sides in the league.  That in itself won't decisively prove anything but will be an indicator.

A pleasing performance last night and, in the eyes of some, Robbo's seemingly odd decision to sign yet another central defender was vindicated. Two clean sheets in our last 2 games and 5 goals scored is good going so credit to the management and all the players involved. Encouraging to see 2 of our Academy graduates score the goals.  We're now in a strong league position and that will give the whole club certainty going forward in terms of contract renewals and the like.

I hate it when people say this kind of thing to me, but we have scored 7 goals which is even better going.

14 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Yep cant believe he started Scott tonight....hey Heh!! COYW.

Only joking buddy, all about opinions.   Grumpy long will be even grumpier now....the scouse skippy

No problems m8

I also think young Scott has great potential but as I said in previous post the penalty miss against Aberdeen seemed to have dented his confidence and his head was down

Young players have to be managed properly and hopefully his brace last night will boost it

It says a lot that during the whole Hastie contract extension saga the one that the club was most desperate to get on to a long term contract was Scott, which goes to show how much the coaching staff at the club think of his ability

Your right it is all about opinions and everyone sees the game differently and IMO Long if played through the middle with someone able to pick out the runs that he makes would score a lot of goals for us. 

Still onwards and upwards and as long as the team we put on the park keeps getting results we will all be happy clappers

• Thanks 1